Red Racer, Ned Help With Valve Springs

71-BEETLE-SEDAN

I've Decided against a pod for now. As I'm a p-plater. I've been pulled over at least once a fortnight for rbt's were I've ended up outside the car while Po-Po go over it.

I don't speedaround town or have anything wrong. I've never been defected for anything or lost points for anything like that. So I'm trying to make it look. As legal as possible for now.

So I was thinking tho, a pod in behind the front bar like I said wouldn't be as obvious but would get wet.

That's why I've decided to go with a better air cleaner.

I've ordered a flex pipe for cai, so I'll post up picks of the set up once it's done.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so Ive been driving the car around for a bit now and am enjoying it.

Now its time has come for the first mod. Camshafts and cold air intake.

Ive been reading a lot about it so far and Ive come up with the idea that a set of 246 cams would be the best, don't need an aftermarket computer or anything. Ive been looking at adjustable pulleys too, to make it idle factory smooth again. Ill also do the timing belt while I'm there.

Now, which brand should i be on the lookout for,buy them from eBay or online or go to a shop?

As for the intake, is there an off the shelf item, or should i buy some flexitube and a run a pod down behind the front bar?

Cheers

Hey man, nice car! reminds me of mine with the battery sticker on the front quarter.

Just letting you know bigport cams are 250 degrees from standard, 246 would be a small step backwards ;)

As for the idle, check out all of your vacuum lines, if one is missing the car will be idling rough or have bouncy revs

New filter it is then.

Yeah i have done a bit of reading and the stock exhaust manifold is good for quite high figures as is the intake manifold, so they don't need changing yet.

It has a set of plugs and leads on the way now, purchased today.

Also got a quote for some federal 595s today, pretty stoked about that, now its time to get em cheaper.

And i was driving fast the other day, and come around a corner a bit to hot and the arse end slipped out a bit, how can i fix this, or do i just gotta go slower? First time its happened to me in a fwd car, used to rear wheel drive cars tho so kept it out of the gutter.

Do i need larger sway bars? More camber? Strut braces?

Cheers

Tyres are possible the best and cheapest modification you can get in an instant, they transform the car! :) what size did you go for?

How close are those eunos wheels to hitting the rear strut?

Welcome to FWD! lol

Lift off oversteer will happen in most well balanced FWD, you have to drive accordingly, its very different to driving RWD and some AWD but you will get used to it.. basically go slow into the corner and fast out, gradually build up speed till you find the right balance, if the back is coming out floor it, if youre understeering tap the brake with your left foot while keeping that right foot down. Trick is to keep that right foot down to combat this oversteer, and be smooth! ;)

As for setting the car up, larger rear sway bars will make the car turn in better but because of this the lift off oversteer will be much worse. I find that mine understeers the way that I drive it so I am going stiffer on the rear. We generally leave the fronts untouched

More front camber will give the front better grip in the corners and is easily adjustable VIA the standard top strut bolt at the bottom of the strut, but tire wear will be an issue then

The car shouldve came with a front strut brace, and the rear is stiff enough but if you like you can get a brace from Bazda thats made by Ultra racing. Quality bits ive heard :)

Ordered k and n panel filter today. Exact replacement for stock filter. Will be here tommoro.

Anyone got any other mods I should do in the near future? Relatively cheaply?

Cheers

Coilovers, tyres, CAI, and exhaust? Thats pretty much it for the budget mods, have you ditched all the interior? I saved a good 65kg by doing so ;)

Just keep driving the car and get used to FWD for now, play around with the coilovers, shock settings make a world of difference

Oh about the cams, did not know that. I'm thinking ill stay away from engine mods just yet cause i don't really want it off the road just yet.

The idle issues seems to have gone away now hat i let it warm up a touch before i drive it. So dunno what that means.

As for tyres i went same size as the ones on it now, 195/50R15, but I'm looking at some other rims, same size and everything, just different look, they're black with red highlights, so would suit the car well.

So if someone wants some 15 inch rims and tyres they can. They have an offset of 45.

I haven't actually looked under the car at all really, quite odd for me, normally Ive got em torn apart in minutes. But i will have to check next time I'm working on it.

I might have a play around with the camber, is this the same on the rear end?

And front strut brace it has rear seams good enough already so yeah, guess Toyota did their homework there.

Havent stripped the interior yet, its coming though, will be leaving not much at all.

Will post some photos of the intake and other little mods Ive done lately, ie bonnet pins,

Oh about the cams, did not know that. I'm thinking ill stay away from engine mods just yet cause i don't really want it off the road just yet.

The idle issues seems to have gone away now hat i let it warm up a touch before i drive it. So dunno what that means.

As for tyres i went same size as the ones on it now, 195/50R15, but I'm looking at some other rims, same size and everything, just different look, they're black with red highlights, so would suit the car well.

So if someone wants some 15 inch rims and tyres they can. They have an offset of 45.

I haven't actually looked under the car at all really, quite odd for me, normally Ive got em torn apart in minutes. But i will have to check next time I'm working on it.

I might have a play around with the camber, is this the same on the rear end?

And front strut brace it has rear seams good enough already so yeah, guess Toyota did their homework there.

Havent stripped the interior yet, its coming though, will be leaving not much at all.

Will post some photos of the intake and other little mods Ive done lately, ie bonnet pins,

No worries man ;)

Ah right, sounds good make sure you get some pics up when you get them

Only the front has camber like that, but you have coilovers right? the tops should be adjustable on the front and as for the rear there should be grooves to slide the top of your hub along to adjust it, otherwise there is no rear adjustment unless you buy camber pins.

Youll be surprised how much quicker it goes without any interior :yes:

Yeah I will.

I forgot to add if Anyones keen on these rims. Post up here or pm me. They have old but still plenty of tread tires on them.

I haven't got the coilovers yet but they are about to be sent.

I used to have a ke70 that I stripped. I Will do it just gotta see where I'm comfortable. Cause I wanna have a little bit if carpet in the front I think. Not sure yet.

I've also been looking at bucket seats. That's a little bit off yet tho.

Yeah I will.

I forgot to add if Anyones keen on these rims. Post up here or pm me. They have old but still plenty of tread tires on them.

I haven't got the coilovers yet but they are about to be sent.

I used to have a ke70 that I stripped. I Will do it just gotta see where I'm comfortable. Cause I wanna have a little bit if carpet in the front I think. Not sure yet.

I've also been looking at bucket seats. That's a little bit off yet tho.

got a photo of these new rims :P ?

Also keep the interior clean but stripped ? so back end completely remove everything like carpet sound deadening all that crap.

But at the front have it super clean carpet and all ? you may not lose much weight but you will be comfortable as you drive cause it is is a daily right ?

bucket seats + bosskit&'nardi'style wheel!

That's just my opinon mate I'm sure whatever you day will turn good :) !

Edited by zacharyo

That's preety much what I'm thinking. Might even remove all carpet and get some floor mats glued down etc.

I had a bride seat in my ksev. But when I sold it I said it can either come with a bride seat or varex cannon. He chose seat. So now I'm stuck with a cannon I can't be bothered to put on and no bride seat. So the cannons up for grabs too If Anyones interested.

I've currently got the steering wheel from my 71 beetle in it. I like it alot but am on the lookout for another sports wheel.

How do people go about short shift kits? Do I cut some of the shaft off and put a knob on it? Or is there a kit.

Rims I do but not saying to much just yet. Trying my hardest to save for em.

So i got some electrical gauges today, and to wire up the a/f ratio one i want to use the signal wire to the ecu, inside the cabin to make less mess in engine bay.

So knowing that everyone says he pin outs are under the lid of the ecu i pulled the ecu out and cover off to find this.

IMG_1027.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_1025.jpg

Car runs fine, never had an issue with it. And Ive plugged it back in and still runs fine.

What should i do?

And anyone got a copy of the pin outs, mines missing :(

Going down to the wreckers now to gets me a new ecu.

Also, the car is blowing quite a bit of smoke on start up and also when I'm fair up it, so most the time.

So I'm gonna deck my second head up, new valves/seals/shave it, etc etc.

But I'm also thinking i may as well do the whole motor, i remember hearing that a set of pistons car be had for like under $200.

What pistons should i get? There is some on eBay for like $160, are they any good, anyone had experience.

Other then that the cars still the same

just for reference bigport cams are 240 not 250 as mentioned above.

so 264 is a considerable change from factory.

http://www.billzilla.org/4agstock.htm

id avoid ebay engine parts, go to your local machine shop and get them to set you up with everythign you need. rings, pistons, block hone etc.

looks like a fun little car though.

just for reference bigport cams are 240 not 250 as mentioned above.

so 264 is a considerable change from factory.

http://www.billzilla.org/4agstock.htm

id avoid ebay engine parts, go to your local machine shop and get them to set you up with everythign you need. rings, pistons, block hone etc.

looks like a fun little car though.

My apoligies, you are correct.

Bigport = 240

Smallport = 232