Dreaded Knock.

Jackson

Well my 4kc being god knows how hold and worn has finally started to knock only really faintly and the oil pressure doesn't really get over 35 once warmed up so I guess the bearings are going. I guess I'll try pick up a motor to rebuild ready to drop in. What are some things I can do to prolong it's life?

Members dont see this ad

Have you tried a oil flush, drain and filter change ?

Otherwise its thicker oi

Edit - if you drop into an auto shop you can also get "worn engine" oil. Basically its just simply thicker oil but with extra additives for a motor thats getting a bit long in the tooth.

Edited by towe001

Pull it out and fit new bearings. Don't even pull the pistons out if you are happy with the compression.

Mine suffered from the wrong oil filter before I bought it, so the bearings were rattley on startup. I pulled the motor, dropped the sump and took out the crank to be cleaned, then fitted new stock bearings. Make sure you glue the hell out of the sump gasket!! angry.gif

Altezza - The compression is allright. Same across all cylenders but a little low I thought. Since I know nothing of the engines history I am a little scepticle of it's condition. I would much prefer to rebuild one rather the fit new bearings the a week later be ripping the head off.

Thanks fellas I'll try running some thicker oil.

Anyone got a 4kc awaiting a rebuild?

maybe... maybe not... Depends on the gauge a lot.

I reckon warm idle at 10psi is fine, running around 40 at revs is great and cold it will be up around 60psi. So you may be low but not disastrous, the rattle is more a worry. Have you had a mechanic confirm the rattle??

Don't forget an oil pump recon when you do it up.....

10-4 on the oil pump reco. It has 60 when cold but once fully warmed up it doesn't reach 40. Haven't taken it to a mechanic, the knock is really faint at idle, if I lower the idle it becomes more obvious but you can't hear it at revs so I'm not sure. I guess it could just be a tapet, even though I have set them like 10 times but it does sound like a bearing.

Oh and it is a VDO mechanical gauge, does that make a difference?

Edited by Jackson