Ae71 Corolla Suspension Choice?

84 cocorolla

Members dont see this ad

big question is, how much cash do you have to spend?

koni isnt cheap.

I'm almost certain they don't make a koni to suit the ke70 front, you will need to use ae86 or similar shock tubes as they are slightly bigger.

Hey mate,

this car is my project and my ultimate plan was to drop a 1uz and i was told by a mate that koni suspension was one of the best but still not quite too sure. The money is not a big issue as I am not in desperate need for the car to be finished, so i figured go all out and put in the time and effort.

I don't think that the brand of suspension is the major issue. I think that correct spring rates and damper choice for your specific application would be more important.

Also more power means better/bigger brakes so going to ae86 or s13 front end would be a must. Suspension parts for either are way more available than anything ke70 specific.

Do some searching around toymods. You'll want to think about something like the Corona Pug Hilux upgrade. Stock KE70 struts are too small for anything other than crap shocks. You want bigger diameter struts and big brakes, so the CPH upgrade or something custom. Consider that there are a lot of brake upgrade packages for AE86 struts, but they also have smaller spindles which you may want to think about if you're putting a fair bit more weight in the front.

I don't think that the brand of suspension is the major issue. I think that correct spring rates and damper choice for your specific application would be more important.

Also more power means better/bigger brakes so going to ae86 or s13 front end would be a must. Suspension parts for either are way more available than anything ke70 specific.

hi mate,

just wondering, would these bolt straight on or would there be any fabrication of any sort needed?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with snot35. I recommend changing to xt130 corona struts with xt130 lower control arms. Just find a wrecked one somewhere and take all the front suspension out, its a bolt in package. With xt130 struts you will have a much larger range of shocks to choose from as the strut diameter is larger. I'm using kyb Excel G st185 shocks with a spacer in corona struts with lowered 6kg springs in my ke70

As far as I know xt130 are the same dimension strut as the ae86 but come with bigger brakes and you can upgrade to hilux caliper and Peugeot disc which you can't with ae86 afaik.

Your choice in shocks and springs depends greatly on what the car is going to be used for. I recommend you do some research on what other people have used and what results they got. You'll find a thread on another forum with pages full of different setups people have used with the pros and cons of their setup.

What are you building the car for?

P.s I don't recommend ajps at all, I asked for a spring to match the ke70 top and corona bottom and after waiting for over 2 months got sent an ae86 spring instead. And all the shocks I bought through ajps I realised later I could have got them through repco or supercheap cheaper without having to wait ages and being fed crap as to why its taking so long for parts to show up at my door

Edited by lildavo

I'm with snot35. I recommend changing to xt130 corona struts with xt130 lower control arms. Just find a wrecked one somewhere and take all the front suspension out, its a bolt in package. With xt130 struts you will have a much larger range of shocks to choose from as the strut diameter is larger. I'm using kyb Excel G st185 shocks with a spacer in corona struts with lowered 6kg springs in my ke70

As far as I know xt130 are the same dimension strut as the ae86 but come with bigger brakes and you can upgrade to hilux caliper and Peugeot disc which you can't with ae86 afaik.

Your choice in shocks and springs depends greatly on what the car is going to be used for. I recommend you do some research on what other people have used and what results they got. You'll find a thread on another forum with pages full of different setups people have used with the pros and cons of their setup.

What are you building the car for?

P.s I don't recommend ajps at all, I asked for a spring to match the ke70 top and corona bottom and after waiting for over 2 months got sent an ae86 spring instead. And all the shocks I bought through ajps I realised later I could have got them through repco or supercheap cheaper without having to wait ages and being fed crap as to why its taking so long for parts to show up at my door

that a bummer mate...thanks for the tips, because I was considering ajps.

well I ultimately wanted this as a street legal car but figured it would guzzle to much fuel with a 1uz. Ive completly stripped it and I'm guessing it weighs under 600kg, so i fiuged once finished ,why not chuck it on the drag strip and I'm hopeful it atleast run under 10's which is quit reasonable.