How To Remove & Install A Ke30 Dash Pad

soyboy

Hi All,

Couldn't find any other threads on this so thought I might start a thread with a run down of how to remove and install/replace a­­ dash pad from a KE30 (edit: my car is a late KE30 which means it's the same as a KE55 Dash) because it can be a real b!tch. Sorry it's a bit long

Time to remove: approx 1.5 hrs

Time to install: approx 1hr

But it will vary depending on your dexterity & care taken (I tend to be a bit slow so more than likely times will be less)

You'll need:

Ratchet

10mm socket

12mm deep socket

2 x phillips head screw driver (one stubby)

Patience

(Optional)

torch

flex ratchet extension + Phillips head driver

little dental mirror thingy

You might be able to skip some steps like removing the radio and it's light but to be honest it takes two seconds and it'll save you a world of pain. I also figured I would undo the hidden screws last for removal and for installation put them in first as the dash is loose and it's easier to get the screws in/out when you can jiggle the dash about.

REMOVAL

Step 1: Remove Glove Box

Remove screws and latches as shown:

DSCN2028.JPG

Gently pop out the glove box. They're made out of flimsy flocked egg cartons so it doesn't take much to wreck it. If you push upwards underneath at the rear of the glove box it should come fairly easily.

After you've removed the glove box here's what's left to unscrew:

DSCN2005.JPG

Step 2: Remove remaining visible screws (red) on dash

Step 3: Remove instrument panel fascia

Pull off radio knobs (4 parts total) and use the12mm deep socket to undo the two thin hex nuts & gently push out fascia.

Disconnect the cigarette lighter and remove the fascia.

DSCN2021.JPG

Step 4: Remove radio & hex nuts (blue)

Remove the 3 Radio bracket screws (see above pic), disconnect the radio andremove it.

Dismount the light above the radio, it should pop out and give you better access to the hex nut behind it. Remove hex nuts.

DSCN2019.JPG

Step 5: Remove 2 hidden screws (yellow)

You will need either the stubby phillips or the flex extension + phillips head driver + ratchet or both.

Make sure you use the correct size Phillips head because these are self tappers into plastic and are super tight. Also make sure you're undoing them because it's easy to get jumbled when you're unscrewing from the otherside!

The screw near the cigarette lighter shouldn't be too bad, if you put your head in the foot well it's easily visible. Here's where it's located (dash already removed in pic):

DSCN2014.JPG

The screw behind the passenger air vent is the real killer. Make sure you're undoing the screw inthe middle. The two either side are for the air passage and in mine were even harder to remove and irrelevant so I didn't waste time on them. But if you're feeling adventurous and you can get them undone it might be worthwhile removing the air channel so you have more room.

DSCN2009.JPG

Step 6: Remove dash pad (YAY!)

INSTALLATION:

Pretty much reverse of removal with some additional steps:

Step 1: Install hidden screws

To make things a little easier I screwed in these 2 screws all the way into their positions once without the dash in ­place to remove a bit more of the plastic. My screws were really tight and even after doing this they were still plenty tight. If yours is loose you don't need to bother.

Put dash pad roughly into position and install hidden screws

Continually check the tightness of your nuts/screws as you go as they will have more room to screw in as you gradually align the dash to the rest of the car. It also means you can minimise any annoying rattles/creaks from loose parts.

Step 2: Install Hex nuts, radio light and radio

Step 3: Install instrument panel fascia

Step 4: Install remaining screws

Step 5: Install glove box

Latch:

DSCN2026.JPG

(Step 6 only if replacing dash):

Gloat about your dash.

DSCN2029.JPG

DONE!

Edited by soyboy
  • Upvote 1