Ke70 Coilovers??

shLONG13

So just about to invest in some coilovers and i have come across BC v1 race coilovers to fit an AE86, front and rear. Before i order them i just need to know if the ae86 camber top stud pattern is the same as my 83 ke70 and if they will fit into the back aswell because i have heard that the AE86 has basicly the same chassie as a ke70 or AE71 and that they should fit. Could some one help us out and tell me if any modifications need to be made to fit them in the strut towers in the front and rear?

Cheers :y:

Members dont see this ad

So just about to invest in some coilovers and i have come across BC v1 race coilovers to fit an AE86, front and rear. Before i order them i just need to know if the ae86 camber top stud pattern is the same as my 83 ke70 and if they will fit into the back aswell because i have heard that the AE86 has basicly the same chassie as a ke70 or AE71 and that they should fit. Could some one help us out and tell me if any modifications need to be made to fit them in the strut towers in the front and rear?

Cheers :y:

The fronts will fit fine, not to sure about the rears tho

As long as they are adjustable 86 front tops then they will be fine. The stock (non-adjustable tops) give bad castor, but if you have adjustable ones you can correct it.

Yeah thay are adjustable so its all good

you will need AE86 steering arms too

Why's that?

I don't see where everyone is getting this info? they fit straight into 70's

There may be an exception where certain models of *E7* have steering arms that will fit on an AE86 strut(AE71 panel van for example), but the majority of *E7* steering arms won't fit AE86 struts. The reason people keep posting up saying "you'll need AE86 steering arms" is because in most cases it's true, and they've probably tried it themselves. But you could be lucky and they may just fit right in.

To fit the AE86 coilovers you will also need AE86 hubs, caliper brackets, calipers and rotors.

Edited by rianwest

The ones I'm looking at are weld on's. So the bottom of my original strut is cut off so i still have the bottom bit that bolts to the control arm and then the coil over it put over the top and welded around the bottom. So i don't see why i would have to change any of that. So is there any camber tops that will fit straight in?

Heres a link to them.

http://www.garage7.com.au/home/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=873&category_id=388&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53&vmcchk=1&Itemid=53

If you are using the original strut there are no decent short stroke shocks that will fit in them.

They are 49(?) mm where as the AE86 are 51(?)mm. This is why everyone upgrades to AE86/xt130 struts.

Na I'm not using the original strut shock only the bit on the bottom of it where it mounts to the control arm, I'm just going to cut it off then weld the bottom bit of the strut to the coilovers. Did you have a look at the link?

• 2 weeks later...

I think youre missing the vital piece of info in what people have told you. Even if you just want to remove the strut tube and weld on a whole new one, the spindle will be attached to an undersized casting to weld the new tube to.

If you get to use any 2 inch strut for the conversion, use xt130 corona ones.

They are plentiful, give a smidge more neg camber and much the same ackerman on the steering. Plus you go up to a larger stub axle and bigger twin pot brakes (if you use wagon or rt132 struts). Cut them to any length that suits your shock choice and ride height and weld together.

KE70 struts are shit, 45 is ID and not many good dapers available. Plus pussy brakes. Friends don't let friends make coilovers out of ke70 struts.