Rians Ke70

rian

Members dont see this ad

Haha I know right! I've already spent easily over a thousand dollars on it and I've only had it for a week :blinks:

So progress is going to be a bit slow as I'm a uni student and that means I'm poor. But I'm on holidays at the moment and I'm working a fair bit so I should have some moolah to spend.

Soon I'm going to install my gauges, new rack ends, T3 steering arms, T3 RCAs, Eibach springs, HEL braided brake lines and T3 camber plates. With the camber plates I'm going to re-drill the inner hole in the strut tower, as the AE86 camber plates have a different bolt pattern to the KE70 strut tower(it seems to the KE70 strut top bolt pattern is just a flipped version of the AE86 strut top bolt pattern), and this will allow me to fit the camber plates to the correct side, which won't effect the caster like it does when people put the camber plates in the wrong sides. And then I'll be able to put the strut brace on the right way aswell.

Stay tuned RC.

That's a good point Rob, though I want to get everything engineered so I can drive it like that on the road and not have to worry about defects/void insurance etc. So all the parts will go in, then it'll be enginneered and then rego. But if there are parts in it that won't pass engineering then I'll just have to ditch those parts. I'll have to look into it though.

Nah no rego Spencer, it doesn't need it anyway because it won't be going anywhere for a while. And if I do have to take it places it will be on an unregistered vehicle permit, it's pretty pricey moving it that way though.

Yeah I will get it rego'd eventually, but I want to get it finished before I rego it. Otherwise I'll pay for rego and just have it sitting there doing nothing while I do the conversion, which will probably take months lol.

I've heard that most are illegal, though I've also heard that the spring seats can be locked/welded in place and this will allow the coilovers to be engineered. Which would detract from the purpose of having adjustable coilovers. Also it doesn't seem right that adjustable suspension would be illegal, what about airbags or torsion bar suspension? Those are legal? The RTA and TMR are silly.

I'll give the authorities a call one day soon to see if I can get a definite answer.

By the way what are your engine plans Jake? Still going for something crazy?

Haha I know right! I've already spent easily over a thousand dollars on it and I've only had it for a week :blinks:

So progress is going to be a bit slow as I'm a uni student and that means I'm poor. But I'm on holidays at the moment and I'm working a fair bit so I should have some moolah to spend.

Soon I'm going to install my gauges, new rack ends, T3 steering arms, T3 RCAs, Eibach springs, HEL braided brake lines and T3 camber plates. With the camber plates I'm going to re-drill the inner hole in the strut tower, as the AE86 camber plates have a different bolt pattern to the KE70 strut tower(it seems to the KE70 strut top bolt pattern is just a flipped version of the AE86 strut top bolt pattern), and this will allow me to fit the camber plates to the correct side, which won't effect the caster like it does when people put the camber plates in the wrong sides. And then I'll be able to put the strut brace on the right way aswell.

Stay tuned RC.

What do you mean about the caster man? Ae86 and ke70 are the same strut top

Okay I did some research, it turns out you are right Luke. The AE86 strut top bolt pattern is the same as KE70, but the AE86 strut tops push the shock shaft forward and reduces caster, whereas using the KE70 strut top pushes the shock shaft back and adds caster.

I thought I had noticed the AE86 strut tops in an AE86 sat to the rear of the strut tower, and this is what gave me the idea that they are a different strut pattern, as AE86 strut tops sit towards the front of the strut tower in a KE70. But it turns out that AE86 strut tops also sit towards the front of the strut tower in an AE86 as well.

Either way when I swap the AE86 camber plates from left to right and re-drill the inner holes in the KE70 strut tower I will end up increasing the caster, which is good. OR I could take the bolts and lower plate out of the upper plate in the AE86 camber plate and flip the upper plate over than bolt it all back together, and this would have the same effect(I think? See the last pic for a reference).

This is an AE86 strut top in my blue KE70

post-9612-0-05651100-1321849924_thumb.jpg

Notice the shock shaft is positioned more towards the front of the car.

This is a standard KE70 strut top sitting on top of an AE86 strut top in a KE70:

post-9612-0-44974700-1321849993_thumb.jpg

The bolts between the strut top are lined up as best as I could, and you can see that the Ke70 strut top would position the shock shaft further back.

And this is what gave me the idea that they were flipped, this is a right side AE86 camber plate upside down on top of a left side KE70 strut top. Notice the bolts line up perfectly, the nuts are actually locking both the bolts from the camber plate and strut top together.

post-9612-0-79228300-1321850696_thumb.jpg

Edited by rianwest

I'm just gonna throw it out there... have a look at your caster rod. youll notice it has thread on it.

that thread will adjust to like 3-3.5 degrees of caster, if thats not enough for you, then you should really be looking into a rose jointed type uber adjustable setup. as it is at this stage your going to need to flare or chop your front corner of your guard for this kind of alignment.

as it is at this stage your going to need to flare or chop your front corner of your guard for this kind of alignment.

That's why I'm trying to move the top of the strut back instead of moving the wheel forward. I just thought I would try and get the caster back that is usually lost when putting AE86 camber plates into a KE70/AE71, it may or may not work out but I will find out later on.

So I brought the coilovers back to my parents house to get them apart, I still need this tool to get the gland nut out:

2267.jpg

Then I will take some measurements and see what insert I can use in the strut.

Edited by rianwest