Rians Ke70

rian

Members dont see this ad

ok man you don't need that tool. get a bench vice and clamp the gland nut in upside down, then wrap the stub axle in a thick rag, put a thick bit of pipe over that and carefully crack the gland nut.

just gotta think outside the square a bit when it comes to jobs like this :)

I would normally use multigrips or a vice or whatever but the gland nut sits down inside the strut tube by a few millimeters and there is no way to get a grip on it other than using that tool or one of those universal disc changing tools for an angle grinder. Which is probably what I will use as they are cheap, but really flimsy. I'll get pics soon, threads are better with pics!

2267.jpg

My god its a medieval weapon of war.

Another idea is a monkey wrench on the gland nut and the bottom of the strut in a vice or vise verse.

Then I will take some measurements and see what insert I can use in the strut.

The inserts are T6 cartridges (44.5mm diameter). If you jump onto the Monroe site you should be able to download copy of their catalogue and be able to do a bit of cross-referencing.

I've used a chisel and hammer before to get my old shitty gland nuts off, but I had new ones to replace them so it was okay.

My god its a medieval weapon of war.

Lol.

I'm going to get a angle grinder tool this afternoon so I can get the gland nut out. It's the only way to do it because the nut sits inside the tube a little bit and I can't grab it with anything.

And thanks for the link Rob, but what do you mean by T6?

This is the tool:

blue-handle-1030mm-adjustable-spanner-for-angle-grinder-140163n.jpg

Edited by rianwest

The T6 is the design style of the cartridge.

post-1432-0-09488500-1321924469_thumb.jpg

From memory the ke70 struts i have had the glad nuts like what your saying, i used a pair of needle nose pliers, a long screwdriver and a vise. Placed the bottom of the strut in the vise, the needle end of the pliers i jammed into the holes on the nut, had the long screwdriver acting as a lever between the pliers and the shaft and wrapped my hand around the shaft and pliers handle. Took a bit but i got them removed.

And if its what i'm starting to think they could be, have a container on hand cause they'll be oil filled and not have a cartridge insert.

Turns out that the gland nut looking thing on to of the insert was not a gland nut.

This is what I thought was the gland nut:

post-9612-0-55848100-1321952991_thumb.jpg

But then I flipped the coilover upside down to find this:

post-9612-0-94855300-1321952941_thumb.jpg

It's a shitty picture but that's an in-hex bolt in the bottom of the strut.

When I undid the bolt on the bottom of the strut I could get the insert out, so there's nothing holding it in at the top. The inserts are Koni reds p/n: 86 2602. Which when I searched the part number turned out to be out of an Audi or something. The inserts are about 520mm extended and 330mm compressed, a pretty good size.

post-9612-0-55073700-1321956594_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow I'll put the coilovers into the blue car with the new 4.9kg/mm Eibach springs to see how it works out.

I put the T3 camber plates, upper spring seats and Eibach 4.9kg springs in the blue car.... holy buttface 4.9kg is nice to drive on!

Though now I've got like 3 sets of coilovers, I think I need to sell some stuff.

More pics soon!

Edited by rianwest

What type of setup do you want to use Mitch? The spare pair of coilovers that I have use 200mm 8kg springs with a 3inch(?) helper spring, the other spare pair use 200mm ~7kg springs. One pair will have newish KYB AGX SW20 inserts and the other will have Koni red 86 2602 inserts. Both have hubs, caliper brackets, calipers and rotors, I also have on pair of AE86 power steering arms and AJPS RCAs. Both pairs of coilovers have scratches, fades, worn paint etc from normal road use, nothing bad though. I don't mind separating stuff as well, if I were to make a for sale thread I would list everything separate with the option to buy the complete coilover setup.

The only problem is that I need to get another pair of inserts before I can finish the ones that are going into the brown KE70. Which will require me to save some money.