Rians Ke70

rian

Members dont see this ad
  • 1 month later...

I bought a second hand T3 short shifter:

DSC_9404.jpg

And I bought some bonnet pins. At the moment I can actually see my bonnet flexing at 100km/h and it's super rusty around the latch 8S

aerocatch_t1202000_L.jpg

Edited by rian

• 2 weeks later...

So I fitted my T3 shift kit, got syked, went to start the car for a test drive - flat battery.

Charged the battery, went to start car - wouldn't start. Remembered this issue:

Tried to drive this thing today and it just backfires like crazy under load, makes zero power etc.

So I began looking for the problem:

Pulled the fuel line and ran the fuel pump - fuel came through.

Pulled the plugs and checked them - wet with fuel and some of the insulation was cracked.

Tested the leads and plugs by earthing them out while cranking - got an orange spark and no "crack" sound.

Measured the resistance of the leads - between 0.8K and 1.2K ohms :y:

Measured the resistance of the coil - 18 bazillion ohms :osama: :n:

So I bought ordered a new coil and got some new plugs too.

I just want to test the new short shifter.

• 4 weeks later...

Some of you may know the problems I've been having with this car lately, I initially thought it was the coil causing the issue so I replaced it and it made no difference. But now I think I've fixed it, with this:

post-9612-0-40918700-1432034651_thumb.jpg

It's a complete 4AGE + T50 setup. I'm going to sell off the crap I don't need and hopefully I'll end up with a cheap engine. I scored a RWD intake manifold and RWD cooling setup too :y:

So I got it home and started pulling it apart to replace all the seals and gaskets. Popped the cam covers off to check what it looks like inside:

post-9612-0-72552000-1432034823_thumb.jpg

Ehhhhh, I've got no idea what I'm supposed to be looking for, it just looks like an engine to me.

Then I pulled the gearbox, clutch and flywheel off and discovered ARP flywheel bolts (score) and this (not a score):

post-9612-0-69395900-1432034806_thumb.jpg

The inside race of the spigot bearing had exploded. It came out in piece, and then I was left with this:

post-9612-0-74082100-1432034785_thumb.jpg

Just the outside race of the spigot bearing stuck in the crank. I struggled with this for a couple of hours: tried the grease trick, tried levering it out, tried hooking it and slide hammering it out. I eventually went to Repco and bought a spigot bearing puller, still no luck - the arms on the puller weren't sharp enough to get between the race and the tapered end of the hole in the crank, I had to sharpen it up for about half an hour but I eventually got there:

post-9612-0-46482700-1432035779_thumb.jpg

So now I'm waiting to borrow a engine crane then I'm going to pull the old engine and chuck this one straight back in.

post-9612-0-17248900-1432034842_thumb.jpg

The new 4A was super oily when I got it: it was leaking from the cam covers, the cam seals and the distributor. I cleaned it all up really well, I needed 3 cans of degreaser :blinks:

I'm going to replace all the gaskets and seals before I chuck it in, but I'm not too sure I can be f'd replacing the front main seal. That crank pulley looks like a pain in the butt to get off and I don't have the tool for the job, it didn't seem to be leaking from there anyway. Is it really worth replacing while the engine is out?

Anyway, here's the current state of the engine:

post-9612-0-04466400-1432277208_thumb.jpg

Edited by rian

Do the front main. If it leaks it's a bastard while in the car. The timing pulley isn't too hard to get off and the seal isn't expensive. I've got the timing pulley off with a large flat head screw driver. I actually bought a 2 arm puller to modify for the job but haven't had to use it yet.

Do the front main. If it leaks it's a bastard while in the car. The timing pulley isn't too hard to get off and the seal isn't expensive. I've got the timing pulley off with a large flat head screw driver. I actually bought a 2 arm puller to modify for the job but haven't had to use it yet.

The only reason I'm hesitant to do it is because too many people said they've either stuffed the pulley of broken the oil pump. I guess I could give it a whirl with some screwdrivers. Or I might buy a 2 arm puller off ebay? I've already spent $100 on tools I'll probably never use again just to get this far :abuse: