The Dream Lives On - A Memorial Build

Zetai

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the support!

In regards to naming the car - I'm not 100% sure what I want to go with, but his gamer name was 'Alfazulu', which was the number plate I wanted to get for it, but unfortunately in Tas, personalized number plates have a 6 character limit, and cost $1200.. o_O

I'm intending on purchasing his Supra at the end of this month from his family also, so that will set my build back a bit, but I don't have the heart to see it go to some bogan that will just use it for skids and disrespect it.

Members dont see this ad
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys.

Just thought i'd give a brief update.

Starting with paint preparation at the moment, sanding back to smooth, and fixing all the surface rust. Gonna take a while, but I'm probably just gonna tackle one panel at a time as I don't have a garage to store the car in at the moment, I'm looking to just do a relatively quick paint job, nothing too amazing, just want to get it all one colour for when I begin using it as my daily.

At this stage my plan is:

1) Per panel, sand it back to smooth and fix any surface rust with a rust converter or something similar

2) Then hit it with a wax and grease remover and apply a primer filler.

3) Then sand back minorly and apply another layer of primer, or just go straight to paint.

I don't have a spray gun so I was just gonna go Supercheap Auto Rattlecan Grey with a clear spray over the top for a semi-glossy finish, and hope for the best. However I'm wondering whether it'd be worth just buying/borrowing a gun (I have a compressor) and buying a few litres of decent paint and doing it as properly as possible given my circumstances, not having a booth and all.

It'll be a daily slider, if that's really possible, so I'm not worried about it being show n shine worthy, just want to get it fat and dropped, and one colour.

Opinions or suggestions anyone?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I mentioned in my first post that Jono had a Toyota Supra, well I've since purchased that from his Family so it's at least gone to a good home. I'll post some pictures of it later for those interested.

definately buy/borrow a gun man (preferably a gravity fed one), they will give 194745993784989573x better result than a can ever will, even the supercheap ones are good for the price and if you are sliding it, you will more than likely going to use it more than once. you will probly nearly paint the whole car with 2.5 litres (this will mix up to nearly 6 litres) of paint (assuming its acrylic)and the color and coverage will come into play too :)

cheers

james

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys! Thought i'd finally upload some pics of the Supra and a bit of the work i've done on the KSEV so far.

IMG_1570.jpg

Looking tough with only 1/2 sanded on the bonnet

IMG_15432.jpg

IMG_15412.jpg

IMG_15382-1.jpg

IMG_1597.jpg

I started on 154,240 around the middle of January.

IMG_12932.jpg

Made the trip to go visit Jono, I love this photo.

IMG_1594.jpg

98 Ultimate can suck a dick.

---------------------------------------------------------

Definitely not losing interest in the KE just yet, it's just difficult finding daylight to do any work, I need to setup a spot inside the shed, but the sanding is a messy business and it's just easier to do it outside.

Turns out I already own a Compressor (which I knew) and a Paint Gun.. Just gotta buy the paint! :D

Cheers,

Ethan.

Damn that's a tidy looking Supra.. and I paid $1.61/Lt for 95 this morning >|

Thanks man, very much appreciated :). I haven't changed a thing on it since it was his, almost don't have the heart to yet. I will say one thing, I hate the front bar, it makes life so difficult for getting in and out of places, I've recently just accepted the fact that I'm never getting up a driveway ever again and just park on the road lol.

It's currently N/A with the 6speed Getrag Gearbox, so when funds permit I think i'll purchase a Series 2 RZ halfcut and use the Front Headlights, Series 2 Stock front bar and of course the 2JZ-GTE (Twin Turbo) motor and probably either sell the stock N/A motor or put it in the Sev! (lol jokes, too much effort)

161c for Premium? What are they smoking where you're from? Lol.

I rate the supra! Looks a lot like the one that went through the side of Maccas sandy bay, just obviously yours doesn't look like its hit a building haha

Good to see the corolla's coming along, any thoughts on a colour? I'm on phone and it's too hard to use haha

• 4 weeks later...

So hey guys.. Few things to report.

On the 3rd of this month I was going for a cruise in the Supra with some mates down the back of Burnie, on Natone Road (notorious for awesome hill climb road), it'd been raining ridiculously all day and well, the unfortunate happened. Was coming down a left hand off camber sweeper and tapped the brakes when I shouldn't have (was literally doing about 45km/h), the rear started to slide and I span out and hit a speed sign.

The damage was: Rear right hand quarter panel caved in, rear right hand tire well and tyre copped some damage (there were rocks in the bead of the rear left tyre, and that deflated, but was fixed by a tyre place). Needs a wheel alignment or something in the steering is bent because the steering wheel is a bit off centre now.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/406/img1656da.jpg/

Was the road we were going down, it's a little hard to tell it's a bit of an incline, but it's quite steep, and after the accident, we were nearly slipping over walking up it, it was that bad.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/534/img1655u.jpg/

Was more or less where I ended up after spinning. Reversed back up onto the bank.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/860/img1658yb.jpg/

The side the took the majority of the damage, you can see the dented rear right fender, and my side skirt and driver side door are also scratched from one of the usual 'cats eyes' white guide posts, that I ended up removing from the rear left wheel arch.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/813/img1652l.jpg/

Slightly closer look at the driver side door and skirt damage.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/651/img1653v.jpg/

Had to jack up the car in order to remove the tyre that had deflated, was looking rather worse for wear at this stage.

All in all, it was a shit day and what was meant to be a charity run for Jono ended up being 'fund Ethan's insurance claim'.. Not really, I didn't take any money from anyone lol, but my Excess is $1000 so it was an expensive day, to say the least.

P.s. Apologies for the links above, doesn't appear to work with Imageshack on this forum :/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note, I've bought a sanding disc to attach to my grinder to get the paint of my KE faster than sanding individual panels by hand. What is the recommended method for doing it the fastest, but with decent results?

• 8 months later...

ALRIGHTY!

After a long cold Winter, the Sev's coming back into the Shed and she will be getting a tidy up, some paint and some new boots!

I've just placed an order for a set of Nemoto Sprints 15x8 +5 all round, and will be running a stretched 195/50/15 tyre.

While it wasn't my first choice, a mate has just upgraded to BC Coilovers and is throwing my way his old set of choppies, as said, not my first choice, but it will get her looking Low and Phat in no time, which personally is all i'm after in a daily (during the Summer anyway ;) )

Over the Christmas break I'll hopefully be working on her day and night and will provide some pics and any updates as soon as I have them!

P.S. Supra is still running fantastically, repair after the last incident went great and she's back to looking pretty again!