Old Skool Corolla Vs Old Skool Mazda

ke10jr

Ive been thinking about this for a while and cannot understand why early mazda r100...ect are worth more than ke1X's!!

Ke1x are alot harder to come by than the old mazdas yet the prices are way different! I thought rare cars hold a much higher value??

Will our corollas ever be worth what the mazdas are worth??

Members dont see this ad

The one difference is that the toyotas were underpowered and were limited on power output, mazdas had the famed

rotary motor and were an easy engine swap, cheap to increase power and could retrofit a later factory turbo engine.

Mazdas were much quicker, hence had more development, parts and interest and so were more sought after and so the value

was higher. The rotary motor is very efficient in regards to being light and compact but producing huge power, so

you can fit it into a small lightweight chassis, certainly not efficient in rebuilds or fuel consumption and also lacks

low down torque so corner exit speeds can be average for circuit, but drag racing is very popular with high hp setups.

Why would you want the value of the humble corolla to increase, its better for you if its cheaper to play with!

Edited by styler

Ive been thinking about this for a while and cannot understand why early mazda r100...ect are worth more than ke1X's!!

Ke1x are alot harder to come by than the old mazdas yet the prices are way different! I thought rare cars hold a much higher value??

Will our corollas ever be worth what the mazdas are worth??

Where do you find r100s in more plentiful supply than ke10s please pm me the details so I can book my car carrier!

Seriously though, all the early factory rotors are rare as hell, especially ones that haven't been completely molested with a set of Simmons and a gaudy metallic painjob. As fare as KE corollas being rare, the only ones that are rare in Australia are the SL sprinters. Ke10s certainly aren't rare.

You can't compare r100s or rx2s rx3s rx4s to early corollas. For example Mazda only made 90,000 r100s worldwide compared to approx 500,000 KE1#'s worldwide

Toyota made shitloads of KE1# KE2# and don't get started on KE3#s.

You couldnt even compare the corollas to the piston powered Mazda's such as the 1200, 1300, 808 929 etc,

Toyota was much more experienced in building cars by the late 60s early 70s then Mazda, as Toyota has a longer history then Mazda at building cars, hence the build quality in my eyes was better by Toyota.

Corollas don't fetch much (here anyway, japan another story as they got the TE models) because we got the base grade models, same as the Mazda's, but the rotary is what made the Mazda's popular and now valuable.

Edited by Tally

Agreed rotary has helped the mazdas and easy sr20 conversions have helped datsuns(although is the conversion any more difficult into a ke?) and also as mentioned the rarer sportier rollas our overseas friends got are quite rare and expensive.

Yea Mitsubishi is cheaper than rollas are they ie sigma?

My mum and were telling me that back the day they used to buy datsuns for like $500 with rego then if something went wrong just buy another one, they were that cheap lol.

Try to buy a sigma.

Geez your right just had a flick on carsales one in average condition w/out rego $800 then everything else over $2k but really I guess that is equal price wise older rollas, but they seem rarer only 6 in total on carsales

Yeah, used to be able to get them for under 500 bucks with rego.

EDIT: I have always wanted to get another 910 bluebird, when I had mine you could buy a TRX for 1000 bucks in good nick, now it is hard to get a normal one for that price.

Edited by Trev

Myself, my mate and his brother all had s3 blueys. One of them was spotless. All 3 of them had strange problems with indicators, every now and then they would just run the hazards on indicate. Simple fix: belt the dash just below the hazard switch. Also random problems with the idiot lights, just intermittently come on then randomly turn off some weeks later.