Putting A Turbo System On A 4Age 16V Small Port

chrisfindlay

Car: 1982 ke70

Engine: 4age 16v Small Port.

Gearbox: T50.

Turbo: Garret T28.

Intercooler: Stock 180sx Intercooler.

Hey guys so I am about to install my 4age 16v Small port into my Ke70, I'm just waiting on a few parts to come in and then shes ready to go. I recently Picked up a Turbo and Stock Intercooler from a 180sx, the turbo is a Garret t28.

I'm just wandering what else I need to run this setup, apart from the obvious which would be a turbo timer, boost gauge, and piping.. I'm new to ke70's, Turbos, and 4age's. Ive been told alot to buy a 4agze or 3sgze bottom end, but I'm not really keen to spend that sought of money.. If anyone knows of anybody who has done a similar setup before, feel free to fill me in about it, or post a link if hey have a thread about it.

Any post helps, and is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris.

Members dont see this ad

Google "Davey Clarke, how to 4AGTE". He's also known as D1 Davey so that might yield search results aswell. He uses a GZE but you could buy some forged pistons from Spool and would be just as effective, if not more.

He uses a T28 too I think. Should come in handy. He lays out a pretty cost effective 4AGTE setup.

4agze is a 7 rub block which is stronger than a normal 4age block. Plus a 4agze has boost cams where as a normal 4age has n/a cams. Plus 4agze doesn't have a dizzy.

180sx cooler is a waste of time, just buy a decent cooler and do it once. It's not worth the mucking around for the piping

when the intercooler is described as the following:

"Hight performance turbo racing designe"

(yes that is how its spelt)

i start to worry:P

turbo smallport, good idea, but make sure you tune is on the conservative side, ~10:1 compression isn't nice to poorly tuned turbo engines. it will explode....fast.

but 10:1 compression with a turbo would sure be fun.

a quick run down on what you will need:

-aftermarket computer

-sort out your ignition for this (individual coil packs, or somehow get stock system to work)

-larger injectors (plenty of OEM options)

-oil feed, oil return for your turbo

-water feed, water return for your turbo

-intercooler piping

and enough bits and bobs to enable all this to bolt to your engine.

you do not need a turbo timer, waste of money.

turbo smallport, good idea, but make sure you tune is on the conservative side, ~10:1 compression isn't nice to poorly tuned turbo engines. it will explode....fast.

but 10:1 compression with a turbo would sure be fun.

good advice

If you don't ask too much of it your existing engine will handle a turbo well.

nothing over 10psi and a really good tune are the main things to remember.

Eg. do not get your turbo on and working, then take it for a thrash around the block before getting a tune!

4agze is a 7 rub block which is stronger than a normal 4age block. Plus a 4agze has boost cams where as a normal 4age has n/a cams. Plus 4agze doesn't have a dizzy.

mwji5zw8ia.gif

Firstly, the GZE block is exactly the same as the equivalent GE of the time - the first bigport GZEs used the 7-rib bigport block, the later ones used the smallport block. It is only stronger if you are trying to compare it to the first-gen bluetop 3-rib bigport block.

Secondly, the GZE doesn't run different cams. Like the block, they are exactly the same as the equivalent year GE (they even share the same part number). However, the 7-rib bigport GE/GZE cams are different from the 3-rib bigport GE cams. The only exception to these rules is when the 16v 4AGE was replaced by the 20V in the AE101 - the GZE stayed as smallport. The main differences between a GE and GZE are the CAS/DLI (see below), pistons (low comp + different material), and of course the supercharger.

Thirdly, the GZE does have a distributor depending on which version you get - there are 3:

1) bigport with distributor and AFM, no TVIS (AW11 and early AE92)

2) smallport with CAS, DLI and MAP (late AE92)

3) smallport with CAS, DLI and MAP (AE101, more power, and extremely sensitive to knock/poor fuel)

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

The 4agze ive had experience with was that layout. Forgetting there was other gen's etc.

Although I am positive it has boost appropriate cams as they were checked when he upgraded them.

Whether they were already swapped out for aftermarket ones I'm not sure.

The 4agze ive had experience with was that layout. Forgetting there was other gen's etc.

Although I am positive it has boost appropriate cams as they were checked when he upgraded them.

Whether they were already swapped out for aftermarket ones I'm not sure.

So basically you've seen 1 4AGZE and it was probably modded....yeah, great way to draw a conclusion on a stock motor.

If anything, the fact that the GZE shares so much of its components with the GE is testamount to the strength of the N/A motor - the main reason why people recommend using a GZE as a basis for a turbo build has nothing to do with the block, crank, rods, head or cams (as they are all shared), it is purely for the pistons and the fact that the ECU and MAP sensor (where fitted) are capable of supporting low-boost turbo setups without modifications. If you're looking at doing serious work (ie installing your own pistons for a start) then a smallport is just as good a starting block, if not better (because it'll most likely be cheaper).

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished this conversion myself, only short of the actual dyno but i'm running butt-dyno based maps and it's going just well.. My blog entries might keep you occupied for a while.. My link

Some notes i'd like to point out:

1. Internally, smallports are basically same as 4A-GZE, only they have higher comp pistons. I swapped my pistons with 4A-GZE ones using smallport rings and they're holding out just fine.

2. No oil drain line is too big. Go as big as you can for this drain line. Your limit is only aesthetics and space. Keep the drain hole on the sump as high as possible without interfering the sump bolts. I'm still having occasional smoke from the turbo and suspecting it's from the drain being too small.

3. Turbo timers are a waste of money.

4. The perfect size intercooler would be around 51mm core size or 680mm in total (inlet to outlet). Since you already got an IC, you'll ignore this i guess.

5. This maybe debatable but for turbo applications, i'd rather spend the cash on better aftermarket computer than higher duration cams.

6. RX7 460cc injectors are direct swap upgrades to smallport's 235cc. Just make sure you get the high impedance.

7. I'll vouch for a cast iron manifold over stainless steel pipes anytime. You'll need the extra strength to support that turbo weight.