1967 Toyota Crown Ms47 Wagon

silverra23

Members dont see this ad

Doogs nah no chance. PR won't be screwing it back together until Monday.. and it will need an exhaust and a few other things finalised before its ready for a club rego inspection

Ahhh forgot the fact it had no rego! Soon! Classic Japan?

• 2 weeks later...

So just for some closure on my engine dramas... the good news is she is running smooth and sweet again!

Crown%2520Running.JPG

Turns out when old mate put the engine back together in 1981, he didn't tighten the oil hard line nuts, he simply rested it in position.

So with some oil pressure, it fell off and landed in the sump, and that (along with no oil pressure) was what was giving me binding as it was turning over. Was plain as day when the sump was off. Fortunately, through sheer luck, it didn't damage any bearings or the crank, so it has all been screwed back together and is running sweetly.

Driving back to the work carpark from the mechanics was my first drive of any note in her. Thoughts - drum brakes all round are interesting, and the transmission hopes into second/top gear at about 5km'h, meaning its nearly a one speed auto! Other than that it drives and steers very smoothly. I was surprised.

So plans now are to finish off a few jobs that are must do's for rego like get a new mufflers on it.

Then I will dump it into the weeds :)

• 2 months later...

Realised I haven't updated this thread with last two threads! So post one was

I drove the old girl home the other day so I could finish a few jobs off in the comfort of my own shed.

Highlight of the trip (other than a temperature gauge climbing higher than I would like) was a girl in a very original, but rather beaten up, Datsun 1600 sedan cruising next to me and giving me the big thumbs up.

IMG_20131105_181641.jpg

Still to do is fit the beaten up rear trim I got off my parts car, sort out the rusted muffler, club rego and lowering.

I am still searching for a few bits to finish her off:

*badges for tail gate - "crown" and "crown 6" emblem

*unbroken handle for the rear tailgate

crown%2520rear%2520trim.jpg

Working to have it done for Classic Japan!

As you know 11 week old babies make it hard to get shed time, so I took the day off yesterday to try and get a few jobs knocked over.

She now has a new exhaust system from some where up near the front, all the way through to a new muffler and tail pipe. It is now so quiet. Possibly quieter than the one year old Commodore in the driveway lol. I had to check it was still running the first time I pulled up at a set of lights.

So Long asked about a sound system. I am going to run out of time (and permitted spending funds) to put the retrosound system in that I wanted. And stupid me left the suitcase stereo in the squareback even though the guy wasn't that fussed about it.

Still, that means I get to make another suitcase stereo... or in this esky stereo! Bought some speakers from Autobarnz today..(thanks Will!) and slotted them into the old "rat" esky I have had stuffed away in the garage. Shame they aren't retro looking speaker grilles, but oh well!

So when its sitting in the luggage area it will look like this from behind

DSC_0327.jpg

And like this from the cabin side

DSC_0328.jpg

This is what she looks like inside

DSC_0329.jpg

I will slot this mini-amp (on its way from ebay) into the glovebox (or maybe even the old ashtray if it fits). This is an improvement on the one in the Celica - it has a radio!

Mini-amp%2520front%2520view.JPG

Mini-amp%2520rear%2520view.JPG

Putting it in the glove box will mean easy to run power to, and easy to use the remote to change radio stations or plug in the ipod.

This means the dash will retain the classic look m too as I will install the old parts car radio into the radio slot on the dash. No one will be any wiser.

Will just have to run some speaker wire under the carpet and poke it out in the rear luggage area. Add a couple of connectors so I can disconnect them easy and take the esky out if need be, and there will be tunes ready to go for Classic Japan :)

So things we have learned in the last 24 hours:

1. Diff u-bolts that were done up in 1967 do not want to come undone in 2013.

2. Angle grinders sort that shit out pretty darned quick.

3. It is always the last u-bolt you are doing up that is not to spec - this added an hour of tidying up u-bolt threads to a job that was to be "finished in the next 5 minutes"

4. It is amazing that even after adding 3 inch lowering blocks, the rear of the car could still go much lower - should have bought another inch ;)

5. Buying cheap Chinese mini amplifiers off ebay is fraught with danger. It arrived very fast - today. The MP3/Ipod in socket works beautifully. The FM radio function that I bought it for, not so much. Scans and doesn't pick up a single station. So have emailed ebay supplier with little hope they will be of much help.

That is all for today :)

The esky speaker box is just another idea stolen from hot rod and vw guys!

Heat didn't fix those u bolts nor did a jack handle on the end of the breaker bar!

The fm band is the right one. That is the frequencies it scans through. The supplier is local so you would think it would work.

They suggested it could be interference so I stood in the middle of the backyard and it was no better. So will try and get another one.

Things learned over the weekend

1. Cheap Chinese amplifier importers are dodgy as ʞ©$ɟ - they are now offering me a part refund so that I can go and get the radio component fixed myself. Ebay/paypal dispute opened!!

2. King Spring KFL57 puts the front higher than stock when new (I imagine the old springs had some sag). So 3 hours of effort in the afternoon yesterday resulted in a car that was no lower than before, and much sads on my behalf.

3. Pulling front springs out for the second time in a day isn't much fun.

4. Taking Mr Makita to Mr King Spring sorts out ride height issues. In this case 1 full coil off leads to a significant reduction in front ride height. It is probably too low to be sensible, but it looks ʞ©$ɟing ace.

5. Angle grinders still scare the bejesus out of me when in use.

Here is a pic taken at 11pm last night after I decided I wasn't going to bed until I had her low!

Capture.JPG

All that is now left for CJ2013 is a good clean, sort out the wiring for the tunes and fit the hub caps for the final time. And maybe a quick drive to make sure the lows isn't too low!

I will just leave this here.... just about ready for our Classic Japan show on Sunday :)

MS47Low.JPG

For any one contemplating lowering a MS47 wagon, the details are KFL57 front spring with a coil cut off, and 3 inch lowering blocks in the rear.

The cut front springs sat it on the bump stops, so they will need lowering too. Its probably too low to be practical, but it looks ʞ©$ɟing ace.

Rear could almost probably have gone 3.5 inch or 4 inch blocks, but this will do for now.

:)