Newbie, Looking For Advice (1988 Ae82)

Hey guys,

Hopefully your not tired of getting these post and out can help me out

i recently acquired a 1988 Ae82 corolla cs,

post-16183-0-09690000-1336357693_thumb.jpg

and have a simple car like that i want to get the most out of it

so my question is, what are some of the better mods or any mods i can do to get all the performance out of this little hatch

for more info

its running a 1.6L carburetor-ed engine with

this is on the rocket cover

post-16183-0-41291300-1336357737_thumb.jpg

i have not idea what it well umm means

other that that its bog stock

so thanks in advance for any ideas

i can upload more pics on request

Edited by brods

Members dont see this ad

4AC engine, Manual Transmission is what that sticker stands for. :)

To get the best out of it, depends on what you want. If you want to keep it as a nice, simple car, a good checkup/service of all the mechanical bits & replace anything that needs it would be the best bet. Looked after, it's damn hard to kill these things.

If you're thinking performance-wise, there's upteen-dozen threads on possible engine conversions. 4AGE would be the simplest, but you'd also want the brakes & suspension from the Twin Cam version. I personally wouldn't waste my time or money on 'working' a 4AC, you'll spend a boatload & still not make stock 4AGE power or torque.

• Upvote 1

sweet, that sounds like the best option, i've scene 4 age's for under a grand but more with the trans,

and getting a wrecking twincam shouldn't be too hard,

will i need to buy a trans for the car if i want to put in a 4age? or can i use the stock trans for the 4ac?

Edited by brods

Good first car you have there, I also had one never missed a beat. But seriously its just easier to acquire a proper twincam which has naturally the 4age, efi and the associated loom(s), efi fuel tank, brakes, suspension etc, etc, etc and go from there.

Just give it a good service, new plugs, leads, oil, oil filter, aircleaner, fuel filter and it will be more drivable. Perhaps think into the handling side of things on this car. Sports shocks, springs, bushes perhaps, they are fun car to drive spiritedly in stock form so I'm sure with those additions it would only get better.

• Upvote 1

+1 for focusing on handling. Feel free to mod the 4AC if you really want to stick with it, but you will be spending a noticeable sum of money, and still wont get the performance of a 4age.

If this is your first car, learn how to service it, then try out more intensive stuff such as replacing worn suspension parts and the like. These cars are relatively simple to work on, and parts are plentiful.

• Upvote 1

it is my first :)

seeing as there have been two comments on handling so i think thats the best for me?

thanks for all the advice,

ill make a post when i find a twin cam wreck to change over of suspension and brakes!

Actually, I recall an issue you may have when you try to upgrade handling. The 3 point strut brace has the midpoint bolt in on the twincam AE82 models, where the compliance plate is on non twincam models. Have a look at your car to see if this is the case.

You may be better off just using this car to learn proper maintenance and good driving technique, then if funds allow, buy a average or worse condition twincam and slowly fix that up, then retire the one you have now when the twincam model is ready. You could even have a look at the one Ethos is selling and decide if the rust can be fixed. You will never get a 4AC model to go or handle as well as a twincam unless BIG money is spent.

Edited by Onikage
  • Upvote 1

send you a text ethan!

strangely enough the plate is to the right of it ( when facing the front of the car) and where the struts would bolt in is a sticker saying 'super responsive' so i might be allright,

you're very correct with that my friend, i have been thinking that the more research i do, maybe grab a ke70 and work with that?

Edited by brods

strangely enough the plate is to the right of it ( when facing the front of the car) and where the struts would bolt in is a sticker saying 'super responsive' so i might be allright,

From memory behind that sticker is two untapped holes.

You will never get a 4AC model to go or handle as well as a twincam unless BIG money is spent.

Theyre identical underneath apart from sways, shocks and front strut tower, you would change them even if you had a twin cam!

Then change the brakes to twin cam or ae92 items, and drop a 4AGE in.

I reckon i could easily get a pov spec one to be quicker than my car for less money than ive spent on mine :P

Edited by Subaru_kid