High Powered Vehicle Ban For P Plater

iwontarolla

hey guys, so i was reading up on the p plate laws. my ke has extractors and a 32/36 this is a breach in the laws. I'm kinda stressing about if i drive it and get pulled over and they see i have these i will most likely lose demerit points. and then i don't get my full license until I'm like 21 or some thing. am i stressing to much? i was thinking about trying to get a exemption but i don't see that happening.

any help, info or suggestions would be great thanks

Members dont see this ad

Paint it black, tell the cop you couldn't find a standard replacement exhaust manifold for a 30 year old car and your original manifold rusted away. Just say a mild steel manifold is all you could get.

Paint it black, tell the cop you couldn't find a standard replacement exhaust manifold for a 30 year old car and your original manifold rusted away. Just say a mild steel manifold is all you could get.

What he said,

You should be alright anyway man, I've been pulled over plenty of times and never been given crap about exhausts/extractors etc.

I honestly think their main and only target is forced induction and engine conversions.

You should be sweet.

I don't think you'll have any issue's with a corolla being high powered :laff:

What's the guidelines? No exhaust/ induction mods or anything!? Jesus.

We can do engine swaps, drive turbo's v8's etc all on P's.. Tassie rules some times.

so i;m kinda just stressing to much? if so that's great but if it was such a problem i was going to start phase 2 on my build haha

from the my license website

" High-powered vehicle restrictions apply:

• if you are under the age of 25 until you gain your full drivers licence
  • if you obtained your P1 or P2 licence after 4 September 2010
  • if you were disqualified and returned to driving on a P1 licence on or after 4 September 2010.

High-powered vehicle restrictions do not apply:

• if you are 25 years of age or older
  • if you obtained your P1 or P2 licence before 4 September 2010
  • if you have an exemption certificate.

Exemptions may be approved in special circumstances by completing theApplication for Exemption from High-Powered Vehicle Restrictions. Your driving offence history, the availability of public transport and of other vehicles that may be available to you will be taken into account when determining your application.

Breaking the rules

The penalty for driving a high-powered vehicle includes paying an expiation fine and you will incur demerit points.

High-powered vehicles

A high powered vehicle is a light vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Mass of less than 4500 kgs that has:

• 8 or more cylinders
  • a turbocharged or supercharged engines(except diesel powered vehicles with less than 8 cylinders)
  • been modified to increase engine performance (link to vehicle modifications section below)
  • been nominated high performance vehicles - refer to the list of Included Vehicles in the High-powered vehicles notice below.

Excluded vehicles - vehicles listed under the list of Vehicles Excluded in the High-powered vehicles notice below have turbo charged or supercharged engines for fuel efficiency improvements and therefore are not classifiied as high performance vehicles.

High-powered vehicles notice (PDF 65Kb) (updated 12 May 2011)

Vehicle modifications to increase engine performance

High-powered vehicle restrictions apply to vehicles that have been modified to increase engine performance. The following information may help to determine the type of modifcations that may be included in this defiinition but may not be exhaustive and should not be taken as a precise interpretation of the law.

Vehicle attributes include:

• Induction system
  • Fuel system
  • Engine
  • Exhaust system

Note: under no circumstances should any of the above be modified or replaced with parts or components unapproved by the vehicle manufacturer, unless it is deemed essential during routine maintenance or failure rectification, see examples below:

Essential modifications

There may be instances when something fails during the course of its operational life. In these instances the affected parts or systems will need to be modified. Examples: Allowed An engine cylinder head with a damaged head gasket will require skimming and the intake and exhaust valves potentially replaced or re-seated. In this instance the cylinder head may be skimmed to the minimum required to provide a flat surface for sealing purposes only, and if valves are replaced they must be of the same diameter and shape as the original part. Camshafts can wear out prematurely if the lubrication system fails or the incorrect engine oil is used. They may be replaced with original camshafts from the vehicle manufacturer or camshaft that have the same profile i.e. lift and duration as the original design for that vehicle. Prohibited Any unnecessary removal or polishing of material either from the cylinder head sealing surface or intake and/or exhaust tracks. Camshafts that have a higher lift, longer duration (aggressive profile) than the original fitted to the vehicle at the time of manufacture. Any modifications to the vehicles computer system with regards to airflow rates, fuel delivery rates or ignition timing etc.

Essential replacements

There may be instances when something fails during the course of its operational life. In these instances the affected part or system will need to be replaced. If a non-original (aftermarket) part is used then it must be a direct replacement for the original and designed to fit within the current housing and/or mounting system and operate within the vehicle manufacturer’s specifications. Examples: Allowed An exhaust system that is corroded beyond repair must be replaced with either a new original replacement from the vehicle manufacturer or an equivalent non-original (aftermarket) system that meets approval standards for emissions and noise. Replacing the air filter with a non-original (aftermarket) equivalent is acceptable as long as designed to be a direct replacement and fits correctly within the original air filter housing. Prohibited Free flow extractors and/or mufflers and/or the removal of the catalyst (if originally fitted with one). Any type of induction kit that will increase airflow to the engine above that of the original system. Replacing the vehicle's computer system with anything other than the original specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that engine.

"

Edited by iwontarolla

Man, you'll be sweet. I've been pulled over in cars with extractors, cold air intakes, exhausts etc and when the bonnet's been popped, they haven't taken any notice/didn't care.

They just breath tested me and I was on my way.

I really think they're just looking for turbos and engine conversions etc. Bigger, more noticeable stuff.

You'll be fine, if they ask you why you have a different carby on it (and I doubt they will) just say your old one needed replacing and you had that one laying around or whatever.

As long as you're not drink driving, speeding etc you should be sweet.

Well it seems to be like you've got every chance of getting done if they feel like it, they're certainly well within their rights! If I were you, I'd be keeping my car well presented and making sure I never got caught doing anything stupid. If you do get pulled over, be very compliant, polite and don't give them reason to think you're an idiot. Then they probably won't care. If you're doing something stupid or pissing them off then you're only increasing the chance of them ripping you to shreds.

If you want to never have to worry about it, apply for the exemption, if it's your only car and given how low power it is it shouldn't be too hard to get.

Good luck whichever way you head.

If I were you, I'd be keeping my car well presented and making sure I never got caught doing anything stupid

That's 85% of the secret! Don't make the exhaust noisy or the car too low and don't drive like a hoon. You can always say the mods were necessary to keep up with modern day traffic, your 1960s designed motor made it a slow-traffic hazard as it was!

I told the girl to say the car was modified for fuel economy, not performance if she ever gets hassled on her 'P's

Because an average copper will be able to tell if its got a 60thou skim off the head and .5mm oversize valves, polished intake ports etc. What a load of shit!

Well that's it too, most average coppers probably wouldn't be able to notice the carby etc.

Friends of mine have been pulled over with 4AG's in their ksevs and the copper's been none the wiser...Defected the rest of their cars but took no notice of the 20v in the engine bay...

So does this mean that when I turn 25 I can slap a turbo on a 4k with out risking my license. I'm on my p's ATM. Is there only demerit points involved if you are not exempt, in my case being over 25 yr old?