The Daily 71

Loose

So i finally got me a corolla after months of looking, picked this up a few weeks ago now. Needed a daily as my other car - xr6t ute is not ideal for driving everyday anymore as it drinks the fuel and ill be taking it of pump fuel very shortly in hope of a 10sec pass :). i'll attach a pic but enough of that back onto the rolla lol. i wanted something small and rwd did a bit of research and found old corolla's were the easiest to find for a cheaper $ and more realiable. loved the shape of ke70's so went hunting, looked at a lot of shitters but found a nice yellow one after abit over a month of looking but the ute needed new valve springs so it took priority and by the time i got enough cash again it was gone devoo. looked around for probley 2 months after that just browsing quokka an gumtree but not much came up, untill i talked to a guy about one he had but sold it by the time i rang him showed me another one he had white ae71 looked clean as. guy went away for a couple of weeks and i was pretty keen on this and i looked around on gumtree while he was gone and seen pretty much the same car but 100,000 less k's white ae71 csx 5 speed they looked identical so rang this guy up was an old fella and went round to have a look. turns out this guy was the original owner and its been garaged its whole life so the paint was great only done 161,000k's, forgot about the other one i had to have this but the old fella wasnt sure if he wanted to sell so i talked him into taking a deposit and writing up an agreement that if he decided to sell that he would sell it to me :) he had people coming around with extra cash and transfer papers offering him more the what was asked but would not sell. ater a month and a half of him umm an arrring he finally sold it to me. bought for $2600 bit more then i wanted to pay but i think worth it, let me no what you think?

photo-5.jpg

ive started to take off the pinstripes what a shit job haha half way there though

photo-4.jpg

it needs lowering sooooo bad ive been reading up a fair bit on here and learnt heaps so far, but what a peoples opinion for most cost effective lowering? if i chop the springs will it ride like absolute shit? and i still want to put people in the back without it scraping haha. don't want to go to the extreme of coilovers as I'm still an apprentice and most my money goes to the ute lol

quick pic of my other ride

photo-1.jpg

I'm in WA so if anyone can help out with parts or info would be much appreciated

cheers,

jay

Members dont see this ad

at the moment just some pretty basic mods planned, want to get it sitting low on some nice rims, half way though stereo install still need sub+amp and probaly change headunit see how this one goes though.

i also want to change the steering wheel i have an aftermarket one just need a boss kit, is it easy to rewire the horn? i figured it shouldnt be to complex but havnt reallly looked at it.

i just want a nice clean daily for now

I've been using a hair dryer to heat it up then peel off real slowly and just use eucalyptus oil to clean up the sticky shit left over, to do one side has probaly taken me 2-3 hours haha there's probaly a better way to do it this is just what a mate told me he did.

Yeh could just chuck some kings in it but not sure if that would be low enough as they only drop 30mm, be keen to see some pics of someone with them tho

photo-6.jpg

Got some 17's the other day , they look pretty big for the little thing haha. Anyone else running 17's here? If so what tyres are you using? I want to go as close to the rolling diameter of the originals as posible so the speedos sorta accurate lol

I've taken these back off for now until I get new tyres and it desperately needs lowering before they go back on. Have been doing some research about the best way to go on here but still not really sure which way I'll go, I just want it low with a reasonable ride quality.

Let me know what you think :)

• 1 year later...

Been a while since I have updated this thread, not much has changed except for fresh kings and shocks and some tint.

I've decided to build this and sell my ute. What I want to achieve is a track car (drift) but still able to fly somewhat under the radar on the street.

My plans are coilovers built diff, must be powered by a v8 was leaning towards ls but would like something else if I can keep the costs near that price.

I need some opinions or info! There is that must info on suspension here that my head is spinning

Thanks in advance

Well, its all very straightforward- bluntly, its not going to work!

Look up lLoyd's build, he has done everything you want to do. You can PM hm and have a chat, but I can't see you using a car like that as a daily.

post-7544-0-92613000-1386564871_thumb.jpg

Seeing I do 1000 or 2000km trips every month or two in mine, I can tell you than some things are to be avoided- mainly

Low profile tyres, anything below 60series just crashes into potholes and whatever on Aussie's pathetic roads and destroys rims.

Low hard springs, for exactly the same reason, after 6hours in a car you really feel it, it pounds you to pieces!

Noisy exhausts, which always come with modding cars but deafen you after hours of a droning roar.

If you want a drifter, you can do it with a 4AGE and still manage to get that on the road legally. It won't be a good drift car, and it won't be a good road car, but it will be the sort of compromise young guys put up with for 6months before they flog it off.

The black window trims look good, I must get on and do mine!

Cheers for the reply but I don't think I worded it very well. The 71 won't be a daily ill just drive it every few Sundays. The exhaust won't go past the diff so I'm not worries about noise lol. What I meant by discrete was under the bonnet and no cage for now!

• 3 weeks later...

Jay heres the 1uz kit I was talking about if you do want to go v8 route.

http://www.ae86drivi...-conversion-kit

What the 1uz comes out

Soarer or Celsior would be your best choice, as you can pick them up for cheap (defected or non runner)

Edited by Spencer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I've started taking apart the clubby and the rolla will get the ls1 along with the t56 and the commodore brakes. Won't be a super quick build but I'm hoping to have it finished by this October for power cruise.

Might have to change the name of this thread to not so daily 71 haha.

If anyone is chasing commo parts hit me up 0431843694

post-15797-0-11156800-1390258931_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...