Value A 1987 Ae82 Twin Cam

So I'm sorely tempted to buy an '87 twin cam (4AGE 16V). I am, so far, working off limited details. I'll be test driving the car and looking at the service history on the weekend.

So far I know that it has a few holes in the exhaust, so this will probably need replacing. It has approximately 240,000km on the odometer, if my memory serves me correctly. It has bucket seats and a racing steering wheel installed (kinda tacky).

What sort of price do you think you might pay for this? I ask here because I'd prefer not to get ripped off, but I have no knowledge of the value of these cars. In case you are curious, the owner is asking $2500.

Edited by crazydingo

Members dont see this ad

A cat back exhaust is a few hundred dollars, so I'd be taking that off the asking price.

Water pumps, timing belt, service, if not done are going to cost, you.

Is there any rust?, what's the overall condition like?, what maintenance has been done to the engine?.

• Upvote 1

Depending on rust etc, i wouldn't pay more than 1800-2000, its done a lot of K's and needs an exhaust system, probably rego too?

I payed 3200 for my twin cam seca about 6 years ago and was in very good condition and had 216000 k's when I bought it and now has done 297000 and is due for a few things to be done such as a complete engine seal kit, power steering hoses, AC service and gearbox re-sealing. I have already over the last few years replaced the shocks (kyb) and springs (low king springs), RS*R headers stainless mandrel bent straight through to rear muffler system, just recently done all 4 engine mounts and complete front end bushings using super pro's. It feels a hell of a lot better to drive as its nice and tight.

So keep in mind that you may have to do these things down the track, I don't know exactly how much I have spent on up keep but it has been a fair bit!

Good luck with it as I hope its in good condition!

• Upvote 1

87' is that ae82?

a good condition runner with an RWC i woudlnt may more than 2k maybe at a stretch 2.5k. it would want to be a damn good condition one for 2.5k.

remmeber that 1987 is 25yrs old. expect most things to either need replacing, or have been replaced.

For $2.5k I'd be hoping for a rust-free shell, motor in healthy condition and full interior. It can have a few worn edges here and there, but I'd want a car that no real work is required. The fact that it has a "racing" seat and steering wheel probably means that the car has been used and abused (sounds like a typical p-plater), especially since the stock seats and wheel are pretty damn good.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all the information! I haven't had a chance to have a decent look inside. Hopefully I can have a look this weekend. I'll see if he still has the stock parts too.

What would you typically expect to see in the service history of a car that is this model and age? Which parts have probably needed changing/repairing?

I'll ask about a RWC. It has rego until late August, but I suppose that doesn't make a difference if I can't get a RWC to switch it over to me.

Like I said in the other thread, there is a 1992 SX Seca AE93 for $1500 too. This has approximately 192,000km on the clock. It has one or two dents in the roof above the rear driver's-side door (quite odd) and the wheels look worn and shabby. The paint job is showing its age too. But, it is $200 below the redbook value.

Where are the typical locations for rust in these cars? Engine bay, wheel arches, door frame?

Rust in AE82's can be just about anywhere. But the main areas are rear wheel arches, around fuel cap, top of hatch (peel the rubber back around the hatch and have a look around the top), A pillars, all around the front screen, bottom of doors, basicly EVERYWHERE. It's a 25yo car, it's going to have some rust somewhere.

As for a service history well, I'd be looking for any receipts for recent work.

It's an old car and at some point it's going to need attention to brakes and suspension.

If you don't know what your looking for, get a mechanic to go over it.

There not hard cars to fix and their not expensive to fix if you can do some of the work yourself. Certainly a good place to learn.

Just off the phone to the '92 SX Seca owner and apparently the heater is broken, the electric driver-side window doesn't work and there may be a knocking in the engine. I'll check it out this Friday, but it doesn't sound promising so far. That knocking sounds like potential trouble.