No Spark! Please Someone Help Me Ive Tried It All!

Help! So I put MSD 6AL and blaster coil in the 2tc for my TE31.

Car ran awesome, then no-start issues,

charged batt, and new alt. even used a jump and my truck batt which has way more cranking amps.

did the msd spark test, msd works fine.

replaced cap, rotor, pickup coil, plugs, cleaned all ground straps and batt straps and posts, replaced starter(cause i fried the old one trying to start the dam car) after new starter, car cranked up and ran then died after 3min.

the msd led light should flash each time the dizzy spins past the pickup coil. well it doesnt and no spark again, when cranking the msd doesnt blink with rotation, it did for a minute but stopped.

new pickup coil reads 130 ohms which should be ok. old reads 110

Bypassed msd to old ignition module and coil. No spark still!!!! :wtf:

What did I miss, something simple I'm guessing but my head hurts from trying. :bash: :hmm: :doh: 8/ :drgrim: :bright: :danger:

Members dont see this ad

Check you're getting power at the "engine" fuse in the fuse panel near the steering wheel(pull the "engine" fuse out and test for power at the fuse socket with a test light/multimeter), if you're not getting power there you've probably blown your fusible link up near the battery terminal.

Edited by rian

Happened to me too, the car would run sometimes, sometimes it wouldn't. Then it just randomly died. The fusible link wire had broken but the two ends were still touching allowing power to pass through and every now and then over bumps and stuff the broken wires would stop touching each other and the car would stall.

12 V at engine fuse, I had a 25a fuse but it calls for 15a. I hooked up the alt and it started smoking the fuse was too much to pop. i put a 8a (I'm out of fuses) plugged alt in, turned key on, no smoking. when i went to test the fuse it popped ????? I have some wiring issues so I'm going to replace those then try again

earth wire from alt was melted, i replaced it, checked all wires for cracks and such.

Engine fuse blows when alt is plugged in???? no lose connections or anything. Could be the regulator??

Also found that while ignition ON the coil got very hot and so did the ignition pack. WTF?

I'm so lost.......

Coil getting hot is normal for the amount of time IGN was on.

Found another ext regulator plugged it in, engine fuse still blows with alt and reg.

I think the alt is bad, ill pull it and test it.

The ignition is wired to a push button(rally car style)

There are no fuses or relay's to it, ya think the switch is going bad and how do I test that? Resistance i guess

Engine fuse blows while voltage regulator plugged in but if not its fine. I figure the alty wouldnt blow a fuse and ordered a new regulator, ill see if the condition is the same with the new one.

Did a cool test to find shorted wires, hook up a circuit breaker, like 20amp to the fuse box with clips, the circuit will get hot then disconnect and cool down and connect ect. Then you take a compass, and follow the wires from that circuit, the compass will point to the wires while connected because its creating a magnetic field then when the circuit breaks it will point away. You have to go every couple inches and watch the compass. When you find a point that the compass is still pointing toward the wires while the circuit is 'off' then you found the area of the short. Dig in :jason: and look at the wires.

This helped me narrow down where the short was happening which was the regulator bundle, took all the wires apart and didn't find any breaks in the wire but put the multi meter to the test on the reg and found fault.

Crossing my fingers on this one. :clover:

Edited by sharpshane

I got a new alt and found that the wires were mixed up hooking to the alt. Someone has cut the plug and put 3 female spade connectors so I mixed the Feild and Ground. It's hard to see the little letters when the alt is installed so after looking at the one in the box, bam firgured it out. So that solves my engine fuse blowing.

Still no spark though....

New starter helped. The engine was not spinning fast enough to get the magnetic pickup to signal the ignition box. Sparks great.

Now it tries to start with starter fluid but it sounds like its not getting gas, I believe that when i had the UNI filters on the horns that were oiled that the oil gunked up the carbs. I will tear apart and clean tonight and see what happens.

Got home after a few hours letting the carb soak in carb cleaner. Boom started right up, All because i put those damn uni filters and oiled them which clogged the carbs. Also when I put the alty in and wired it wrong it kept blowing the engine fuse. All caused by my own hands dammit, whatever she runs and revs awesome now. On to the next mod...