Power Steering Ke70

What doe's it involve to chuck power steering in the ke70's. I live 40mins out of town and by the time i get home i feel i have had a workout so would like to make life easier for myself. Going to recon the 4-k engine shortly so if i can put PS in whilst engine is out i will do just that.

Members dont see this ad

mmmm the ke70 steering should be light as.

a few quetions to help us help you.

-what size tyre are you using, and what type of tyre

-what size rim and most importantly what offset are they

-standard steering wheel or aftermarket, if so what size

-what are your currnet wheel alignment settings, specifically castor.

in short to put power steering in, ive not done it, but i theorise that you would need at least:

-ae86 power steering rack (the import ones, adm ones only had manual steer). that should bolt in in place of the ke70 one, assuming the powersteering stuff doesnt hit anything in the engine bay

-a power steering pump off the ae86, and most importantly figure out how to fit it to your 4k

-probably need some sort of custom powersteering lines to make it work if the ae86 ones are either stuffed, or the wrong length.

-maybe some sort of idle up system so you don't stall it in the carpark while steering.

• Upvote 1

She's not real heavy but still a bit of a workout. Maybe i'll just focus on improving her ride seeing as I have quite a few hairpins on my route home. I will start with tyres and change the caster but would like steering to be more reactive.

What else should i do to improve handling?

She is stock as can be.

Edited by SternBlend

. Too much caster causes heavy steering and when extreme, can cause wheel shimmy. Too little caster reduces steering feel and the vehicle’s ability to track straight and has a tendency to wander

• 10 months later...

I have quite a few hairpins on my route home. What else should i do to improve handling?

Exactly what I was thinking after reading the first post. Is it that driving a KE70 regularly is hard work, or is it that pushing it around a veritable drift track is hard work?

If you want it to be reactive then you can either swap in an AE86 power steering kit, or put a quick rack into the standard steering rack. The latter however is going to mean you turn the steering wheel less to get more rotation of the wheels, but it's still going to be hard work in terms of muscular capacity.

If you want to turn the wheels quickly and easily, then 1) a power steering setup is the only real option 2) a KE70 is maybe a less logical car to be driving than a slightly later model car from Nissan.

• 1 month later...