Ae92, Supercharged Khanacross Car.

Boosted

Members dont see this ad

I'd class mine as heavy duty, so say 6mm thick in Ally. Wouldn't go less than 5mm in steel even, unless you ran some stiffeners on it, probably just costing you ground clearance though. Depends a bit on how far your supports are away from each other though. I've seen some people making sumpguards from 3mm aluminium ... that ain't going to stop a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Another update, been working on it slowly but surely

Rear bumper back on, along with the fuel tank;

IMG_0342_zps9ba3ad85.jpg

Interior view from the rear prior to fitout;

IMG_0343_zps224f519e.jpg

Late night in the carport, forunately due to the rain the temp wasn't that bad, got a bit done that night;

IMG_0348_zps0825ede2.jpg

Lots of crap inside, but Hydraulic handbrake is back in;

IMG_0352_zps5f4b4d66.jpg

And where I got to at the end of this weekend. Dash is mostly in, need the instrument cluster in, but need to repair some screw holes first (araldyte ftw!).

IMG_0353_zpsd49cdb0b.jpg

Think I'll drop the motor in next weekend, need to thread some wires down behind the heater (demisting for wet weather) so want to get them sorted before I go too much further. If they don't fit I'll have to undo a lot of what I've already done, but think I should be able to make it.

• 1 month later...

Not really ? :( :ban:

August got a little crazy. Helped out crewing for 3 cars (Spec C STI, BMW E30 M-series, Evo 6.5 TME) for Targa west. Resulted in some crazy hours during the event eg 21hr day followed by ~4hrs of sleep backed up by an 18hr day) so that buggered one weekend, had to be there for scruitineering the weekend before that, but at least I got the motor in that weekend. And since then, haven't touched it. Weekend following Targa west I prepped the POS Lantra again and took that out for another fang. Engine still goes hard, CV's are making all sorts of horrible clicking noises now though, I guess full lock, full throttle on 200K km old CV's will cause issues. Dropped the rear sway bar for that event, went much better. I drilled and pinned the handbrake this time so that didn't lock on during a test, so ended up 10th outright. Considering 1st was taken by a sometime ARC competitor in a turbo Silvia, I'm fairly happy with that. Guy's in front of me 'practice' up there a lot more than I do and I didn't help myself by clipping 3 cones during the day (5sec penalty / cone).

I was worried that dropping the rear sway bar might have made the car less responsive in the tight stuff, but there's video's on my Youtube channel of the later tests that are in the trees on a pretty tight course and it still slides around pretty well. The advantage was, it just seemed a little more predictable and I wasn't upsetting the handling of the car by trying to second guess what it felt like it was trying to do. Difference isn't absolutely massive, but noticeable. Has me more inspired about the changes I've made to the Rolla.

Speaking of which; was having trouble finding parts, just simple stuff and it wasn't holding me up, but no one seemed to have what I wanted, or wanted stupid $$ for it. Who expects to pay $100 for a fender from a car that old ? So I went out and bought a whole car, cheapish ... just so I didn't have to wait around.

Anyway, so as I said in the ramble above, have the motor in and hanging, but ran out of inspiration that weekend so that was as far as it went. Stuffed around last weekend with shopping and repairing the daily (new shocks). Big push for this weekend, but I'm not going to make the next event at the end of the month (twilight Khanacross and at the moment, can't even be bothered taking the POS Lantra again either) so that'll be the year done. No more events with my club after that, may be one or two other events, but it'll depend. So now it's just a matter of getting it finished so it's ready for next year and I can move onto the next project.

And in the meantime, computer has failed the HDD, so that's in for warranty, bench grinder smoked the on/off switch. So waiting for the 3rd bad thing to happen then I might be safe to work on the Rolla again. Will update with pics once I get the lappy back.

The advantage was, it just seemed a little more predictable and I wasn't upsetting the handling of the car by trying to second guess what it felt like it was trying to do. Difference isn't absolutely massive, but noticeable. Has me more inspired about the changes I've made to the Rolla.

Speaking of which; was having trouble finding parts, just simple stuff and it wasn't holding me up, but no one seemed to have what I wanted, or wanted stupid $$ for it. Who expects to pay $100 for a fender from a car that old ? So I went out and bought a whole car, cheapish ... just so I didn't have to wait around.

Sounds like you've made the right kind of change with the rear swaybar, knowing exactly what's going to happen will do wonders for your driving. Some changes that will work for some people don't work for others

$100 for a guard? For an AE9x? Yeah, I would've bought an entire car too! :)

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Updates bitches !

Though not much.

From a while ago, the engine going in;

IMG_0354_zpsed0f5ecb.jpg

IMG_0355_zps07b54c17.jpg

Decided to remove the rear wiper, Rarely use it on the road, never use it at a Khanacross. Didn't save as much weight as I was hoping, the motor is really pretty light. Still maybe a kilo including the wiper. A 1" (25mm) grommet works well.

IMG_0361_zps57693f21.jpg

Also removed the 12mm bar from the tow hook. CAMS requires Ø40mm hole, so good reason to update and get rid of another couple of grams. Chopped this bit from the loose end of a buggered tie down. Lightweight and practical, it's a win, win.

IMG_0362_zpsf98ae81d.jpg

And where I'm at for the moment. Really should have both driveshafts back in and the crossmember in. Must have pinched the driveshaft seal on a previous install, or perhaps disassembly. So leaving the cross member out till I get that sorted. It can be done with the crossmember in, but it's easier this way. Still have some wiring to finish off. It sucks that I lost all my pics in the computer failure. It's made putting things back together a bit slower than normal.

IMG_0363_zpse8979f6b.jpg

No rush now anyway, just want it finished and ready for next season.

While facebook sucks its great for photo storage. Its free, you can copy the urls so you don't need to upload to forums. It saves server space on your favorite forums. I have thousands of pics on there. Even better you can dl the whole lot if yo want. If youre on Android get a Google+ account and your photos on your phone will get get automatically backed up on your profile page.

Ot: cars looking good bro :y:

Edited by B.L.Z.BUB

• 2 weeks later...

So progress lately seems like one step forwards and two steps back.

Lost Saturday helping a mate with his race car, trying to make the sprint at Phillip Island in November so he’s running out of time particularly as he’s just built a new motor and thrown in a new gearbox with electronic centre diff and we can’t get the controller to talk to us at this stage.

Sunday, didn’t have a lot of inspiration until the afternoon, but even a few hours spent on it is better than nothing.

Finished installing the heater hoses, decided to bolt in the front crossmember, got all but two bolts in, one each side and in the same location. I’m sure they came out fine, but at the moment they won’t go more than half a turn without getting tight. So need to get a tap and run that thru them, hopefully that will sort it, otherwise stuff it. There’s 3 big bolts on each side already.

So decide to do something simple and bolt in the radiator. Won’t fit. Have one of those horrible moments when you start to question whether the front radiator support panel for a 4AGE powered corolla is completely different to the support panel on a 4AFE car. Inspection of the rather bent support panel on the old car pointed to some ‘bending’ that occurred well before the crash. I’d purchased another second hand 4AGE radiator a while back just in case, so pull that out as a comparison and it would seem that the radiator that’s been running in the car is from something completely different. It’s at least 15mm wider each side and looks like the other support panel was beaten to hell to make it fit. Explains a few of the other things that never quite fitted on the old car. So this radiator that survived the crash and I spent $50 to pressure test, is useless. Don’t even know what it came off.

So I do what I usually do when I need some time to think, throw the ball for the dog and have a beer. Decide ‘Fug it’ the untried second hand radiator can go in. I paid $50 for it and I’m not sure why I paid that much, core doesn’t look the best on it, but it’s $250 for a new 4AGE radiator as they different in top outlet position to a 4AFE car, so this one will go in for now and see if it starts leaking, worry about a new radiator then. You getting the impression I’m over this damn thing ?

It get’s better. Radiator fan bracket is now fouling with the front gearbox mount, must have always been close, but now it seems closer. I ground the rubber off the outside of the mount (stupid mass dampening bullshit) and decide to use the fan and shroud that came off the old radiator to maximize the clearance. But, this car sticks it’s middle finger up at me again. Not only is the radiator from the old car a different width, it must also be slightly different height, because the fan and shroud ain’t gonna bolt on to this ‘new’ radiator. Fine ! I’ll use the also untested shroud and fan that fortunately came with the ‘new’ radiator when I bought it. Another middle finger, the plug to connect to the radiator fan has already been cut off the loom and changed to suit the odd fan, so now I’ve had to chop a plug off one of my other looms (lucky I have a few spares at the moment) and solder that on so that I can run the fan.

By this stage, I’m tired, but willing to keep progressing the car, but it’s near 8pm and I haven’t done anything for dinner so decide to give it away and look at the car again during the week or next weekend.

Do you know what supercharger oil you are running?

I think my AE92 daily might have died last night so my 4agze conversion might be happening sooner than I thought. And thinking I might as well change the charger oil while the engine is out the car (if it needs doing that is)

Cheers

Not sure to be honest. Think it's pretty special stuff. Think you can get it from HKS ?

There's a small yellow dipstick on the side of the supercharger, I pulled that out while I was laying under the car recently and had a look at the oil, looked clean as a whistle, so screwed the dipstick back in and forgot about it.

Couple of links I found googling;

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=61391

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=18087

• 3 weeks later...

So progress has been a little slow, but still, progress has been made.

Struts, crossmembers and driveshafts are all back in. Even the rotors look a little rusty now.

IMG_0394_zps4bd1e750.jpg

Installed the strutbrace, but I'm really not sure why. They're really quite flimsy, I'm pretty sure an aftermarket version would be a big upgrade. Seems to flex about the transition from round to flat. A gusset right thru the middle would be the go, but the bolts are in the way. When it comes out again I'll just plate in the bottom, creates an asymetric section but meh ! .. it's only a strut brace. Plenty of room between brace and the intake manifold, so plate can be decent size.

IMG_0391_zps8333871d.jpg

And where I'm at for the moment.

IMG_0392_zps873b2489.jpg

Haven't achieved a lot more on the interior, few things back in and started bolting in the floor tray. This last weekend I stripped the motor out of the parts car, rolled the cars and pinched the bonnet. This weekend is a rally so probably lose a fair chunk of Saturday to spectating and hopefully disposing of the parts car chassis, otherwise hope to get the guard rubbed down and the hole cut in the bonnet to clear the intercooler.