Vt Saloon Car Build, Super Six Touring Car Racing

glenpos

Members dont see this ad
  • 4 weeks later...

To be honest mate your doing mighty well considering the lack of HP and minimal budget to spend on development. I have recently sold my saloon car due to not having the funds to compete or to further develop the car and have gone back to sprints for the time being.

I noticed I was down on power when I was at 230HP @ wheels that was putting me just outside the top 10 at a national meet with me having a home track advantage. When I made the jump to 250HP it was a different car I had to make a few changes to lines and setup to make the most of the upgrade and it put me into the top 5 easily and able to at least defend if I clawed my way into the top 3 at the state level. I know for sure the top national guys are above the 250HP @ wheels mark and they are also dead on min weight which I could never get down to.

So to even be in the running with sub 200HP is a good effort bump up that HP and some more seat time and you'll be up there for sure. You have to remember the top national guys I would assume spend 30 to 50k per season to secure a chance at having a car capable of winning and run all rounds. Hell I spent 12-15k per season for 2 state seasons getting my car and race craft up-to speed.

G'day mate, Thanks for that, yeah it is pretty expensive, and sucks that they are updating to the VY/BA's too... sorry to hear that man, but as long as your still doing some racing it's better than nothing, what are you driving now?

We are really struggling to come up with the funds to get the car going better, and then throw in the cost of racing it, it's bloody hard, definitely a rich mans sport haha.

I tell you what, it's bloody frustrating to drive when it's lacking that much power, i'm driving it so hard to stick with them, at Phillip island i passed cars 20+ times in the corners, a was passed 20+ times down the straights, i was only passed 3 times in the corners haha.

I was really happy with how we went at Winton with the national boys, i was holding 13th until i ran out of fuel, but i was 1 sec off of 7th places fastest lap, and 2.5 secs off the front few guys, i was losing 1 second down the main straight compared to the front cars, so we will be going pretty well if we get some power!

The next thing i'm doing is a set of pacemakers and new exhaust, dialing the cam in, hopefully that will get us a bit of power, not really sure what to do next.

My car is spot on 1470! i don't know how but i'm not complaining, 20kg left to be safe, i think it's because of my cage, it's a pretty basic cage.

My car has cost around 15k so far, and iv'e spent around $3,500 racing it this year, you certainly helped out allot with the front end setup, it's handling pretty well, but i even think i'll be quicker in some corners when i have more power so i can rear wheel steer it a little, allot of them i can hold it flat on the exit so i could put more power down if i had it..

I'm back driving imports an R34 GTT Skyline haven't had it on track yet as cash is tight and the diff is flogged out. Once I get that sorted I'll get it out there It's still registered so I drive it on the weekends and it keeps me entertained.

They have been pushing the VY/BA thing for a few years now and I'll believe it when I see it. There is no way I can see them introducing the new era vehicles dealing with making them equal parity for a reasonable price that would entertain the "entry level" category theme and still give a decent performance advantage over the VT/AU to entice people to upgrade without further compromising reliability that the top state and national guy's are already complaining about from having pushed the VT/AU's past there factory engineering limits. Let alone what this does to anyone who wishes to campaign an EA/VN as their numbers are already low enough as it is.

I feel your pain with the power issue just keep working at it the satisfaction of improving your craft and engineering performance is well worth it!! Just remember if your not having fun and your out of touch with those in the category you can always drop back to sprints and whoop ass while your waiting for your performance modifications if that's enough to put a smile on your face while your spending your hard earned isn't that what its all about.

I'll post some exhaust pics when I can figure out how to host Pic's again to give you an idea of a good setup as that's the game I'm in. As for the cam timing I never played with mine as it was pretty close when I got the car but from what others have said when tuning the VT's have a small window where there happy and then power just falls off it just takes time to find it.

Yeah that would be a bit of fun, if my racing doesn't work out i'll probably try a bit of drifting, something iv'e always wanted to do!

Yeah that's right, i'm hanging to see the regulations just so i know what the go is, from what i heard they were trying to make them about the same speed as the VT/AU's, but i highly doubt that will happen.

I must say i miss taking home trophies from the sprints, iv'e got 11 to keep me happy for now but i'm starting to really want another haha.

yeah we will just keep working away, i brought a second hand set of pacemakers today for $250, they should help a bit, and if your able to pics would be great!

I've heard that about the cam timing off a few people, we set it on 4 deg ADV, and i found out that the cam has 2 deg ADV ground into it too so its on 6 ADV, but now iv'e heard that they normally run them retarded so hopefully that will give me a bit more power haha :P

• 1 month later...

Hellooooo, sorry for lack of updates lately, have been pretty flat out...

So we've finished making a new exhaust for it, got a set of used pacemakers too, sounds good and even just sitting in the shed it seems to have more power, it revs up a bit quicker that it did before, and even better it only cost around $300 including the extractors!!

We will dial the cam in soon and get it tuned, hopefully the power figures will be a bit higher!

Then we will take it to a test and tune day at winton,

Thanks to Chris for info on the exhaust!

They have released the regulations for the VY/BA's next year, we are thinking about starting another build for the next few years, i think it will be a little bit expensive but we shall see, they are running coilovers , t56 6 speeds, haltec ecu, a control 18x8 rim, all the suspension is bolt in so no mods are allowed, just the adjustments on them

Anyways here is my exhaust..

post-15067-0-26161000-1417643050_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

G'day, so we took the car to a test & tune at Winton on the 2nd, it went pretty well in the +40deg heat, ran the same as my best time, and tires are probably 170 laps old, it sounds pretty good now, getting it tuned on the 2nd, so we will see what power it makes, it was running lean when i got it going, went up about 20 points on the fuel map so it has definitely made a difference!

Here's some highlights, only got 3 clean laps, the rest were stuffed up by slower cars...

• 2 weeks later...