Ke70 Suspension, Brakes, Braces, Seats, Everything Questions

So I'm curious about a front coilover conversion for my KE70.

My researches have shown a few options, but I think I'll go with the 'well duhh' and get AE86 struts. This means I'll need AE86 steering arms too (rack & pinion, FTW) I believe. Will I also need '86/XT130 LCA's? I've read up about both and I don't really want to do XT130's because they bring the track out too much, lessen lock and make the close fitment with my chosen rims just that bit too close. AE86 LCA's I'm lead to believe are the same length. I'm getting adjustable camber tops with either setup so the alleged 'mega-camber' produced from longer LCA's isn't an issue.

The rears seem like they will be pretty straight forward; just short stroke shocks (KYB or Bilstein, which is more worth it?) and shorter, stiffer springs. I'm not gonna go coilovers in the rear as it would mean the wheels would definitely scrub on the spring/seat.

Also, what spring rates are recommended? 8KG front/6KG rear is the talk around town.

Has anyone ever fitted AJPS coilovers? Being what it is, it'll probably be pretty good, but for the same price of the front I can get BC Racing BR-series front & rear. I've heard the BC's are top stuff, but what would YOU recommended?

Here are the links for both:

AJPS (Type 2) - http://ajps.com.au/p...s_coilovers.php

BC - http://www.ebay.com....=item2ebf1b8131

I also have plans of doing a brake upgrade that I need help with.

Again, I've done a bit of researching and it's brought the following... It'll be either AE86 or RX7 depending on what's available. I'll need a bigger master cylinder, and somewhere I read that an 80 series Land Cruiser one might bolt straight in. Braided lines sound sexy, and they're stronger than rubber or something. What else am I missing? Will the stock brake booster need to go too? The brakes themselves will most likely just be standard '86 ones, so they'll fit on the coilovers.

Stiffer sway bars are in order too, while I'm at it. I think I saw some as big as 24mm somewhere once. My aim is very snappy and responsive, but is this too much? 18mm/19mm sway bars are easier to find anyway. AE86 compatible ones bolt straight in, do they not?

Just for shits and giggles, strut tower braces (front & rear) will be added to the shopping list. What other braces can be fitted that help stiffen up the chassis a bit? I don't think I'm ready for a half cage yet, as it still needs to be (reasonably) comfortable for passengers I occasionally ferry around in the back.

Bucket seats and a grippier, smaller diameter steering wheel are a must. I was thinking of something along the lines of Bride Gias seats but the 'jesus christ!' price tag for a genuine set is just out of my budget. I want something that's stiff on the thighs with plenty of lumbar support, and it must recline. I know I'll need different rails, too. I read that AE86 rails almost bolt straight in except for one hole that can either be reemed out or have the rail stretch to fit. Neither of these are things I'm too keen on doing as they sound unsafe and silly. Can '86 rails be modded relatively simply to fit properly and pass engineer's cert.?

How can I go about harnesses? I'm thinking 3 point so it won't take three lifetimes to get in/out of, but also keeping the standard seat belts as secondary. Do they have to be fixed to a cage or can they somehow be fitted to the seat itself, or the floor? As mentioned I want it to still be a 4/5 seater, so having a cage and a harness attached to it preeeetty much voids that idea. Surely there's got to be some seats around that have bolt holes for a harness?

I've sussed out the steering wheel, sort of. I like the 330mm Nardi deep corn leather steering wheel but the brand of boss kit I'm unsure of. What's a good strong one that doesn't look like an elephant's foreskin? Quick release is a preference to deter thieves.

For now, I just want a medium performance increase as I haven't even started thinking about the down-the-track engine conversion I wanna do. Basically I want to get the running gear/suspension all sussed first and foremost before any serious engine performance is considered so my car can actually handle a substantial increase in power. It's my daily drive, and I'd like to keep it that way so everything has to be street legal and I don't want to cut any corners. I have access to minor fabrication work (my dad), but I want to keep that to a minimum. I'm pretty much looking for straight bolt-in upgrades, maybe with the odd 'persuasion' here and there. This is going to be quite a lengthy project, as funds/time/availability of parts will weigh me down a lot.

Leave your insights; I'm eager to hear them. Also if there's anything I've left out that you think are necessary, feel free to add them in. Ballpark figures would be appreciated just to give me a vaguely rough idea of what to expect to pay, but if you don't know it doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the big arse post. It's only sure to get bigger as I add to the list...

Edited by Senseless Sensation

Members dont see this ad

I'll be buying BC's soon. Heard SOME negative comments on them but not enough to sway me from them. I just like how easy they are. And cheap as far as off the shelf goes.

HSD's are a bit more expensive but I think they're probably a better coilover. About $1600 for the HSD's though.

The BC's are compatible with the AJPS RCA's too.

I've heard good things about the upper end of AJPS's coilovers but they're ridiculously expensive...

Wilwood and Hopper Stoppers make big brake kits as far as I'm aware...

Ok, I've got a clearer idea of what's happening with the suspension.

The other day, I picked up most of the front strut assembly off an AE86 (missing a shock, wheel bearing and LCA) and I have plans for the steering arms and brakes. The rest I'll chuck up for sale on here once I've had my dirty way with them. I'm sure someone with a sleeve kit will make use of it.

The steering arms are gonna go onto BC-BR coilovers that I'm soon to buy off Epay.

As for the brakes, they need to be machined, replaced and have new bearings put in. I'm also going to drill them so I don't have to fork out another $300 for drilled ones. I'll see how the Ksev master cylinder goes and if it clamps 'em nice and firm I don't see any reason to swap it in a hurry.

My Gregory's manual explains how to do a wheel alignment; should I attempt it or take my car to a tyre shop and get them to do it?

I don't have any strict plans, but one thing's sure: it's gonna stay street legal. Hoping maybe for a bit of track work here and there, mainly focussed on grip, but drifting has crossed my mind...

First things first is suspension. That way when the big day comes for an engine conversion, I'll have the rest of the setup there just waiting for it.

I ordered these last night:

http://www.bc-racing.co.uk/coilovers-series-br/

It's a shame I don't have a camera, as my mum has pinched it :(.

You seem to have it sorted now.

You could just grab some KE30/55 LCA's there cheap.

they add 20mm track though. Which is debatably legal.

Yeah I got my brakes and basically my whole suspension sorted before I started the engine swap.

The KE70 BMC should be fine as its what I'm using with my RA65 brakes(A fair bit bigger than AE86) and its fine.

Edit: Oh and for the wheel alignment you should just take it to the pro's.

I tried doing mine and its still a bit dodge and annoying.

Edited by It's_AUDM_Yo

I thought about the XT130/KE30 LCA way because I thought KE70 ones weren't compatible with AE86 struts. My rims I've got sitting under my bed look like they might juuust fit, but if I add the extra track on the front they most definitely won't and I'm not keen on pumping the guards myself. '30/XT130 LCA's also have less lock I'm lead to believe.

Once these coilovers come in I'll need to:

Make up a template and drill the rotors on the press

Get them machined

Go to Burson's and get a couple of wheel bearings

Get some brake pads

Go to my dad's mate's hose shop and get him to do the braided brake lines

Fit the whole suspension

Take it in for a wheel alignment

The AE86 strut assembly I got was missing a few bits & bobs so that's why I need things like bearings/brake pads.

I'm pretty broke right now, thanks to my recently purchased coilovers so it'll have to wait until payday next month before I do any more work to it. I'll keep updating as more shit gets done. Fingers crossed it'll be by the end of next month or thereabouts.

The LCA's shouldn't cause you too much trouble. I believe you can cut off the lock stops if you're worried. I didn't bother as my tyres are just shy of hitting the chassis rail anyway, but these are tall dirt tyres. If you're worried about having to pump guards then you're probably going to have plenty to work out anyway.

The track change is very mild, I don't think too many would notice +10 either side.

10+10=20

unless you only want it longer on one side lol.

I thought your only "legal" allowed to increase a cars track by 25mm (in QLD). Without a mod plate.

So your rims would only be aloud to be an extra 2.5mm per side.

Would cops work that out highly unlikely. But just thought I'd point it out.

You're also only allowed to change the width of the wheel by +/- 1 inch. Soo many KE's rolling around with 8" rims..

My soon to be fitted wheels are 16X7 +15. I'm getting 195/45 for them. Everyone keeps telling me they won't scrub, but we'll have to wait and see.

If when it comes to fitting these rims they don't scrub, lock to lock, on the bump stops, then I'll get XT130/KE30 LCA's. This car is likely going to double as a track/street car and I don't want to find my tyres rubbing against the arches through a sharp turn.

Increasing the track on the front would make the car handle funny anyway. I'd be getting a wider, stronger diff to match the front if I was serious about it.

Rims that big on Rolla's are stupid unless there like 2jz drag cars with slicks.

Nothing rubs at stock height! haha

I can't see those rims causing any issues. Unless its seriously low.

The trick is don't make anything look ridiculous and cops will leave you alone.

Also 99% of cops hate "stretch" and will give you trouble for it.

edit: Although by the specs your not really after stretch.

Edited by It's_AUDM_Yo