philbey

Toyota 86 Launch - First Impressions

here is a quick snap of the one i saw, aweful photo.

my first thought was "man thats a small car".

Did the car feel small to you on the outside philby?

post-2532-0-59761700-1340587155_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad

Think I saw the same one in Wynnum a few days ago.

Very nice looking car. And as everyone else said the rims do look feral.

Although they are a bit nicer in real life.

One of my mates even thought it was a LFA.

Edited by It's_AUDM_Yo

I reckon they will sell a truckload of the things. The base model is pretty damn cheap. If my kids were older, I would probably buy one myself (being latish 40's - I suspect I fit Toyota's target market.) I surprised what Philbey said about the back seat. When you were in the back, how far forward was the driver seat?

There were two at Winterfest on the weekend. Any thoughts I may have had went out the window when I saw the totally non existent space for back seat passengers - i.e there is none at all. Also a bit put off with the badge engineering, subaru stamped into the inner guards, Toyota - Subaru imprinted into the engine cover. Built by Fuji Heavy Industries etc.

But they are pretty sleek, and on specs should be as fun as Philbey has said.

my first thought was "man thats a small car".

Did the car feel small to you on the outside philby?

Yeh, it's tiny. Low roof, i think ~1200mm is a damn low roofline. Long bonnet on it so any front aspect and it appears very low. It appears a little bulkier from the back with those pumped rear haunches.

I surprised what Philbey said about the back seat. When you were in the back, how far forward was the driver seat?

There were two at Winterfest on the weekend. Any thoughts I may have had went out the window when I saw the totally non existent space for back seat passengers - i.e there is none at all. Also a bit put off with the badge engineering, subaru stamped into the inner guards, Toyota - Subaru imprinted into the engine cover. Built by Fuji Heavy Industries etc.

But they are pretty sleek, and on specs should be as fun as Philbey has said.

Yeh, don't get me wrong, you wouldn't get 6'3 foot me in the back and another 6'3 clone in front. But my missus (5'6) was able to get in the front seat, somewhat further forward than she would typically set the seat to. But, my mates Audi TT we only just managed to get 1 bloke in the back, across the two rear seats, with absolutely no room for the front passenger.

The badge engineering isn't that bad; I didn't like it at first, but hey, designed by toyota, built by Subaru.

Back to the Boxer thing; this engine bay is seriously impressive. Pictures don't do it justice. First thing I looked at was under the bonnet and I was absolutely blown away at the overall accessibility. Dave, I know what Liberty engine bays are like, it's a completely different problem.

Plus, you get the advantage of 180 degree cranks and nice balancing with a boxer.... Nicer revving for all!

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/toyota-86-dealers-cashingin-20120627-211q4.html

Am I surpised? No. And pretty much sums up my experience with 3 different Toyota dealers in the last 10 years - which led me to purchase 4 new cars from dealers other than Toyota.

they do look alright to work on the engine but apparantly someone at work that went to toyota training for them said just to change plugs you have to unbolt all mounts and jack up the engine, or is that just standard for boxer engines? haha.

Took the 86 for a drive today. Seating position was good, like the seats and steering wheel. Rode the bumps well for a car where you backside is so close to the rear wheels. Went ok but it was no ball of fire. Accelerator pedal travel was the longest I can recall, probably even more travel then my old SLR 5000 with a quadrajet carby. If it had more go it would be awesome but I'm still thinking about ordering one for March delivery. I'm thinking the red or blue, but need to see one in the metal as the pamphlet they give you is so not close to the real colours its stupid. Driving it reminds me of my driving my son's gen6 ZR Celica with similar power too.

photooei.jpg

pho1to.jpg

Edited by Rob 5000

http://theage.drive....0627-211q4.html

Am I surpised? No. And pretty much sums up my experience with 3 different Toyota dealers in the last 10 years - which led me to purchase 4 new cars from dealers other than Toyota.

Still cheap compared to here tho. Pricetag is about Aus$76ooo mostly due to taxes.

In silver it looks like a Camry. I reckon red is the go!

A mate is going to bring one around for me to have a squirt in soon, so shall look forward to that. Seating position is actually a lot like an AE86. In that, you basically have your bum on the floor and legs straight out.

What do they expect, they're on the wrong side of the road.