philbey

Toyota 86 Launch - First Impressions

They should have just used the 2AR-FE 200ish hp dual vvti its what they put in the current corolla's and camry's

Quick check of Wiki says that even the best 2AR (which is a 2.5L) only puts out ~130kw. Plus, considering the image the car was going for, I don't think they could get away with using a Camry engine (afterall, that was one of the classic arguments about the ST184/204 Celicas being hairdresser cars - the image of a sports car with a humdrum Camry engine).

Members dont see this ad

Quick check of Wiki says that even the best 2AR (which is a 2.5L) only puts out ~130kw. Plus, considering the image the car was going for, I don't think they could get away with using a Camry engine (afterall, that was one of the classic arguments about the ST184/204 Celicas being hairdresser cars - the image of a sports car with a humdrum Camry engine).

4AGEs were put in ae82s and there granny cars. I'm sure you could jazz the motor up quite easily and they wouldn't have to design and build another different engine......which is basically what they did with the ej20 just jazz it up and they were already making.

4AGEs were put in ae82s and there granny cars. I'm sure you could jazz the motor up quite easily and they wouldn't have to design and build another different engine......which is basically what they did with the ej20 just jazz it up and they were already making.

Granny car with a sporty engine is completely different to sporty car with a granny engine :P

3GRFSE would be perfect, in my humblest of opinions. Even 4GR would do. (would be more likely as some Euro markets place anything over 2.7L into a higher road tax bracket)

Enough torque, but still oversquare so will rev its tits off.

Gotta remember the boxer is what allowed them to get the good weight distribution and lower the centre of mass as well.

Also, Hiro, the point about the image etc, they are almost proud of the fact that the suspension design and tune was to suit the Prius tyres that are standard issue!

Also, Hiro, the point about the image etc, they are almost proud of the fact that the suspension design and tune was to suit the Prius tyres that are standard issue!

I can see where they are coming from for that though, rather than create a car which is boring to drive because it handles so neutrally on standard tyres, they deliberately under-tyred it and set up the suspension to make it feel more "fun" straight out of the box. Another benefit would be that even if you go and replace the stock tyres with cheapy Nankangs or Ling Longs the performance probably won't degrade much. It may not be track-fast, but it is road-fun (and anyone who wants to go fast on the track will probably change the suspension anyway, and DEFINITELY change the tyres)

Gotta remember the boxer is what allowed them to get the good weight distribution and lower the centre of mass as well.

Drop a rotary in it?

..........Oh wait, communism, apex seals etc.

post-4993-0-57992500-1348321655.jpg

In the media there seems to be an excessive number of shops out there just shoe horning big v8s and supra engines into these cars....

In my oppinion if you go and modify the car that much, it is not longer a gt86, its a gt86 body that has been wrapped around a nascar engine.

Id like to see more development on the standard engine.

Where are the quad throttles? funky headers?

When i look into the engine bay, i want to see something like this:

1964Porsche356C_04_700.jpg