Ke70 Coilovers?

nt2074

Just bought a completely stock ke70 of an old lady and first things first i want to dump it, its a 84 se ke70 and i was wondering what i have to do to put coilovers in it? aparently i have to buy ae86 coil overs but make adjustments to it or something?

If anyway has any ideas about what i have to do, or parts or changes i have to make please tell me as i am new to the car scene and i don't have very good knowledge of cars.

thank you.

Members dont see this ad

Go to wreckers

get xt130 lower control arms and complete struts off powersteered car.also get the rack ends and tubes.

ae86 adjustable strut tops

advantage is bigger strut bigger stub axle and bearings bigger brake disc twin spot calipers longer control arm for increased track and camber and cheaper.. Buy coilover kit off ebay and fit or get someone to fit for you could.use sw20 agx shocks ...

Edited by mungi mods

Shopping List

AE86 Coilovers, 8kg springs front/6kg springs rear

AE86 Steering arms

AE86 Disc rotors & brake calipers

AE86 Front wheel bearings

Thanks mate, around how much would that cost me? and also once i have everything would it all just fit in together or would i need to change shit around?

Yeah my way is the expensive route, but I'm looking at getting big performance out of it.

Shopping List

AE86 Coilovers, 8kg springs front/6kg springs rear - $1400

AE86 Steering arms - ~$80

AE86 Disc rotors & brake calipers - ~$200

AE86 Front wheel bearings - $30

I'm a religious believer of keeping springs captive, so if you're gonna go and get shorter springs you'll need a shorter shock absorber so the springs won't fall out if you hit a bump in the road or a small child riding a bicycle.

Also note that you'll have to take it in for a wheel alignment for either approach.

Edited by Senseless Sensation
  • Upvote 1

How will smaller stub axle , bearings discs and calipers give better performance ?

Xt130 has all the advantages of ae86 stuff with more benefits at a cheaper cost.

For rear get ajps/ buddy part adjustable platforms @ around $150 pr and sierra short stroke rear shocks.

Go to wreckers

get xt130 lower control arms and complete struts off powersteered car.also get the rack ends and tubes.

ae86 adjustable strut tops

advantage is bigger strut bigger stub axle and bearings bigger brake disc twin spot calipers longer control arm for increased track and camber and cheaper.. Buy coilover kit off ebay and fit or get someone to fit for you could.use sw20 agx shocks ...

Thanks mate, but i don't really understand much of what you just said, if you could would you be able to expand on everything for me? explain where everything comes in and why i need it?

if you could much appreciated,

thanks.

Gotta agree. I'm putting 60 series brakes on my xt's and they are cheaper than 86 brakes. Think about how much vehicle 86 brakes have to stop compared to a land cruiser :D

But in the 86's defence, there are a few brake upgrades available for it. FC upgrade, a few big brake kits.

XT130 does seem legit though. What are parts availability like? If they're anything like the control arms, I'd take whatever I could get. 86,XT130, whatever haha.

Thanks mate, but i don't really understand much of what you just said, if you could would you be able to expand on everything for me? explain where everything comes in and why i need it?

if you could much appreciated,

thanks.

Find a 1978-1983 Toyota Corona (XT130) preferably one with power-steering.

Then pull everything you can see in the front arches out (struts, brakes, lca's, tie-rod ends)

or AE86, RA60/5 whatever you like the sounds of, I have RA65.

Then buy a pair 1989-1999 Toyota MR2 (SW20) shocks. You can use front or rear. I'm using rear in my car as there not as short/less harsh. Also the rear bears the weight of the motor in a MR2, so better suited in my opinion.

Then get a Weld on coilover kit many brands, options and etc. Plenty of info around on this generally consensus is 6-5kg in the front. I have a HSD kit with 8kg springs (Too hard for dailying realistically).

Many guides and etc on how to install these kits, its pretty basic.

Edited by It's_AUDM_Yo

Xt130 has same stub axle angle as ae86 / ke70

Ra60/65 gives positive camber as the stub axle angle is bigger.

Xt130 has twin spot calipers standard and can be upgraded easily .can go r33 4 spots if you want to.

Corona stuff is usually dirt cheap as noone plays with them.