Sign in to follow this  
Token

Amp Troubles

G'day guys,

Recently grabbed an amp cheap, just a clarion 4 channel to give the 'rolla a little more punch, and hooked it up on the weekend. The sound system is nothing special, kenwood enrty level deck, 4" splits up front and some 6x9's in the back, all known working, in the car befroe the amp was installed.

Installed the amp, Wired it up, grounded it to the chassis under the front seat, and hooked it up to the battery. I have the remote wire on, speakers all hooked up, using decent wire, all good.

But, No sound.

Now the amp turns on, and if you ramp the volume wayyy up (i usually listen to it on 18, but put it to like 35) and you get, amongst the terrible distortion, very faint sounds of the radio, but yeh... turn the volume down and nothing.

Anyone know what I'v done wrong here?

Cheers,

Token

Members dont see this ad

Is it a new amp? If it is not I had the same problem, ended up being a blown output stage transistor array. Depending on the transistor it could cost as low as 20 or as much as 80. To know if the output stage or the pr amp stage is blown locate the transistors and turn the unit on, run some audio and see if the transistors get too hot. They are allowed to be quite warm but if they are burning hot they are definitely blown.

Current set of RCA's is a cheapie, but I have tried several other better quality sets I have, there just slightly too long for the application, and I get the same result.

I'll check the transistors tonight, the amp is new, but that doesn't mean much these days.

Have you set the gain up?

Also, do you have the model number?

Edited by jono1986

the Amp is a Clarion XR2410

I have had a play with the gain, (well, turned it slowly with the radio on) but nothing gave a noticeable improvement.

I'm pretty good with wiring, so i doubt its that, I think my best bet might be to cruise down to Repco and get them too hook it up to their sound wall just to check the amp itself is working (I did the impedance check on the transistors and they came up fine, I'd rather avoid pulling it apart because i'll return it if its faulty)

If the amps working, I might grab a new set of speakers (I plan too anyway, just not this quickly) because I don't have any others with which too swap mine, and there all reading around 6ohm impedance (from 4 ohm speakers).

And if that doesnt work, ill just rip the damn thing out and revert back to the headdeck.

Was just hoping someone had faced this problem before.

Cheers,

Token

Edit for Solution:

Apparently the clarion required both the RCA inputs and the 'High' Inputs (coming from headeck speaker outputs) to be connected, and I was under the impression you only needed one or the other, so i was using RCA for the rears and the 'High' for the fronts (headeck only has 1 RCA preout out)

Edited by Token

There are a number of things that could have gone wrong.

One reason is that you have the low pass filter turned on at the amp, so it is removing the full range of sound delivered to the rear speakers. This will give you very little, if any, sound to your rear speakers until you turn them right up, and give you sub bass only.

The problem could be the RCA out on your head unit is faulty,

Or the amp has blown its output stage,

Or faulty RCAs (Although unlikely. Either it works well, intermittantly, or not at all),

The reason it works with the RCA and speaker outputs connected is that the signal is not actually being received from the RCA out, and is using the speaker output only. Speaker output should be your second choice of connection, as RCA tends to be superior in quality.

Try to change one thing at a time in an effort to go through a process of elimination.

Goodluck

Ooooo, so it doesn't actually require both speaker level and RCA inputs too work. Damn, that probably explains why I'm having soo much trouble gettin it too sound decent.

So far, I know the AMP works, and the output transistors work (I have gotten sound, it's just full of interference)

The filters are all off on the AMP, and I bought a new head unit on the weekend (jb had a sale, good timing) so Ill install that at some point and see if that fixes things.

Thanks for the help guys.