Install A Rear Louvre On The Cheap.

Some people have been having trouble finding the Aunger mounting kits for the rear louvres.

(insert flood of replies about where to get them)

This is a cheap (my kind of) way of mounting them

List of what you'll need:

Some sheet steel offcuts, I used 0.55 gauge zincalume, about 200mm by 200mm ish.

A pop rivet gun

Tin snips

Rivets (about 10mm should do)

Drill

Beer

First, cut out some tabs of steel, these were approx 35x35mm

One side round the edges, this will help with installing them.

IMAG0938.jpg

Youll notice the louvre has a raised edge.

IMAG0937.jpg

You need to bend the tabs into a Z shape with the rounded edge protruding about 15mm

IMAG0940.jpg

Now I used the stock holes to attach these so I made some washers out of soft plastic, all I had, you could use proper washers.

IMAG0941.jpg

IMAG0942.jpg

I attached 6 in total, that should be plenty, you could do ones for every mount point if you want.

IMAG0943.jpg

Next you need to make a little tool, about 40mm wide with a bend on the end, the short bent side needs to be rounded like the tabs you made.

IMAG0947.jpg

This you slip under the window rubber, then push the tabs under the rubber, pull the tool out and its in there. The one in the picture was too big but you get the idea.

IMAG0945.jpg

IMAG0946.jpg

The louvre is pretty flexible so just work your way around slipping the tabs under the rubber.

IMAG0948.jpg

Disclaimer, I installed mine just to make this thread, it took me about 30 minutes, so its a bit rough. Paint the tabs and you'll never see them.

• Upvote 2

Members dont see this ad

Then your louvre is stuck to the window, this way you can pull it off to clean your rear window in 2 seconds and reinstall it in under a minute.

Plus there is no flat surface to mount the tape to, there is a thin raised edge around the whole edge. I suppose you could put a few layers of tape and raise it.

No matter, this is one way, eliminates sticking plastic clips to the glass.

Edited by B.L.Z.BUB

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...