Wheel Cleaning Tips Wanted

WillAnton

Hello ladies and gents,

I've just bought some 2nd hand ssr mesh wheels to go onto my ke38. The rear rims are spotless but the fronts are covered in what a can only describe as alloy grime...or lightly coloured rust. Not reeeally sure. I was wondering if I could get some tips on what to use to get them looking schmick.

Pic to come later on today.

Cheers

Members dont see this ad

depends how bad it is really.

and how dodgy you are.

i had a pair of SSR wheels that had major alloy corrosion.

jacked up the rear of the car on stands, chucked a wedge under one side wheel so it coudlnt spin (open diff), thew a wheel on the other side.

started engine, threw it in gear (started at 1st, ended up in 3rd i think). be VERY CAREFUL doing this....

wet and dry sandpaper on the alloy lip, start at 400grit, work your way up to 2000grit. then stop the wheel and get in there with an orbital polisher and some of that auto sol stuff.

came up like a mirror!

i got some weird looks from passes by, like theyd never seen a DIY lathe before

• 2 weeks later...

I have also been told this method but my wheels weren't that bad just not mirror finish.

It will! if you work your blemishes out and work hard enough with the 1800/2000 grit to smooth, use a cut and polish cutting compound and rag, more pressure the better and it will come the goods, finish off with a round of the autosol and it will be smick!

The 'one wheel up' method works really well, 5th gear at idle, just make sure you secure the car before attempting! Good luck and mind your fingers