1986 Toyota Corolla Ae82 Twin Cam Club Racer

silverra23

I am deadset farken hopeless. I lasted maybe a month before I bought another car to go club racing lol..

Saw this on ebay a few months ago and was keen but the timing was poor, however its popped up again this week so I snapped it up. It does officially break the "only three toy cars" rule at home, but I think its cheapness has let me sneak it in.

The basics are its a 1986? (I will have to check that) Ae82 Corolla Twin Cam hatch.

Someone clearly loved it and spent a lot of money on it at some point in its life.

Has 20 valve conversion, reportedly done by Toyrolla Spares. Its very neat from the brief look I have had over it.

Painted Ford Blueprint blue, and its still very neat.

Interior needs a good steam clean and a general tidy up, but has real carbon fibre covers put on the top of the dash and a few other bits. Odd! Because race car?

Has uprated suspsension of some kind, and nolathane bushes through out. I will explore more of what it has at some point soon.

I am told I am not allowed to play with it until I get the Crown sorted, so it will get parked in the corner for the moment, though I know myself well enough to know that the parts hunting game is about to commence...shhhhhh ;)

First major works will be to work out why the engine sounds like a man with a hammer at certain revs. Given the dude selling it had his mechanic dodgy up one main bearing, I am tipping its another one wanting to be done. So I will probably whip the engine out for a refresh and do it properly.

It will also get my seat and harness, some wheels with semi's for racing purposes, and at some point some MRP coil overs.

Couple of photos from the ebay ad. I will put some better ones up when I clean it up and the weather is better.

Front%25202.JPG

interior.jpg

Front.JPG

You can see in the pics the front bar is a bit wombled. I might replace that and do the headlights and taillights too, so they are as fresh as most of the rest of the car. Maybe :)

Stay tuned.

Oh and it needs a name.. the colour is making me think Smurf... but I am open to suggestion.

Members dont see this ad

Cool toyota badge, wheres the engine?

Car looks good, blue definitely stands out.

Have you taken it for a spin at all, whats it like?

Those engine noises could be coming from the vvti solenoid if it sounds like a diesel at said revs..

Definitely gotta contact Barry for some coils! :)

Nice buy :)

Edited by Subaru_kid

I like Blue Thunder.. loved the movie when I was younger :)

It drives well despite the racket in the engine bay.

Sadly I think my engine issues are coming from inside the block rather than the head, but I will do a bit more investigating in the coming weeks. Would be good to avoid doing a rebuild or replacement engine.

• 3 months later...

Updating my thread on Bluey

Front bar needs replacing - its bent and I am not a fan of the mesh insert

IMG_0148.JPG

Factory standard rust, and broken rear bar mount

IMG_0153.JPG

Steering wheel needs some love.. you can seen the carbon fibre instrument pod top and maybe the centre console here too

IMG_0155.JPG

Interior shot

IMG_0152.JPG

Battery install - battery box is screwed to the boot floor cover, which is completely loose in the boot. Nice!!

IMG_0150.JPG

Still has its books

IMG_0162.JPG

Started life as a white one

IMG_0164.JPG

So even though I haven't finished the Crown, some parts came up that I had to buy for Bluey

Second hand MRP coilovers - 8kg and 6kg springs I believe.

326302684160813760_31457649.png

And some OZ Rally wheels I have always wanted to put on a car. They need a refurb, but they will be awesome.

326296616949082733_31457649.png

They will look good when its a bit lower and they are cleaned up

326295838863747682_31457649.png