Ke70 Starter Problem

rxsammy

Hiya

I have had the exact same problem for over a year, last thing i did was buying a brand new starter, wich still didnt solve the problem.

After a lot of digging around, measuring voltages, checking wires and grounds etc, i tracked the fault to the backplate for the ignition lock.

Mine was very dirty and simply wore out, i tried cleaning it up, sanded the electro points etc, and it works fine, cept that the points are so wore out i need to turn the key very gentle. I got tired of this messing around so i ordered a new backplate with all the wires and stuff. $30 on ebay.

I advice u to take the backplate off and check it out, since all the symptoms on urs is exactly like mine, lights dim etc. also its very easy to confirm that this is the problem when u taken it off, just hotwire the points.

I hope this helps u out :)

Members dont see this ad

Ok, so took the car out today and surprise, surprise it wouldn't start at the supermarket. Luckily I was ready for it this time and had some tools with me.

I did the following troubleshooting..

1. Took off steering surround and checked the points at the back of the ignition switch. Yep getting power when I switch the key to start, and doesn't make any difference if I put a jumper between constant and the starter output. So probably rules that out as the problem, thanks for the suggestion.

2. Put a jumper between constant and starter terminal on solenoid. Nothing. It was sparking etc so there was power there. Yep it is hard on a ke, managed it with a a stubby screwdriver.

3. So then I took the starter out (only because I couldn't get the wire back on the starter terminal) and thought well I might as well try the jumper on the constant and starter terminal while it's out, and hey presto the starter worked. Put the starter wire back on and it worked when I turned the key. Popped the starter back in and it started up fine.

So now I'm more confused than before! :)

I'm guessing that it is a solenoid issue, I'll call the auto elec tomorrow and see what they think.

just a tought but, sounds like u checked everything from the ignitionkey and to the starter, maybe the fault somehow isnt there, but between the battery and the ignition key?

down on the driver side, left side on mine, might be the same side if u have right hand steering i guess, in the kick panel, there is some chrome relay thingies (not sure if their really relays or solenoids or whatever) they sometimes click in and sometimes they don't when i had this issue. I'm not sure if these has anything to do with the starting at all or maybe they just click in cuz of the powerdrain when turning the key, but if they somehow are related to the starting process, maybe someone with a electro schematic can figure out what these kickpanel thingies really is.

Sounds like u checked out the starter and everything on that end, i would forget about the starter, the solenoid and the wires on that end, its very simple and ur checking is enough to be pretty sure the fault aint there.

Look at the other end, remember the car wont give power to the starter if it somehow don't get the power to the ignition lock, and since absolutely nothing happens when u turn the key other than the lights dim etc its very likely its a main power issue.

Did u open up the backplate on the ignitionbarrel and look at the points inside? if not, i would do that anyway, ur problem sounds exactly the same as mine with the same symptoms. That being said, i got a new backplate and everything works fine, for now, but still I'm just waiting for this effing problem to return and i wont be suprised if it suddenly do return.

If u do take it to a auto electrician, please let us know exactly what they find out, i will be very happy to have this info just incase things starts to go bad again.

Good luck :)

3. So then I took the starter out (only because I couldn't get the wire back on the starter terminal) and thought well I might as well try the jumper on the constant and starter terminal while it's out, and hey presto the starter worked. Put the starter wire back on and it worked when I turned the key. Popped the starter back in and it started up fine.

I reckon the problem is in this area somewhere..

A- Bad wiring connections or broken wire, either the solenoid activator or the main power wire. Both of those would have been shifted when you took the starter out then suddenly it started..

B- Solenoid coils/lever arm.So it jams when trying to throw the gear in or doesn't put power to the starter coils every time. I've seen starters that jam and won't work when you hit the key, so you get out and whack it with a wheel spanner to unjam it and try again... Taking it out would unjam it.

C- Starter windings or contacts.

..and in theory the new starter should have eliminated B and C. It will be fascinating to find out what the final answer is!

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys, Interesting read. I have been experiencing the same issue with my ke70. The starter was replaced just a couple of months ago but made no difference to the problem. It started first turn most of the time but has become frequently worse lately. it clicks but doesn't turn over, usual story. I suspected it was a bad earth or something along those lines but haven't done anything about it. I will be watching this thread closely to see if anyone finds a specific solution to the problem. Hope someone figures it out, seems like a lot of people have a similar issue!

• 1 month later...

For owning my car for over 22 years now, I have also had this problem. I have done all the quick fixes, parking on hills, quick turn of the ignition before shutting off and rebuilds and or cleans. Rebuilds or cleans would last for about a little over a year then back to the same thing. I then rerouted wiring away front the stock manifold. Wiring was ok. Strange but I decided to take off the heat shield. That seemed to help a little where I didn't have as many episodes of not starting.

I bought a new starter.... (you're gonna like this) It sat in the back of my car for 3 years and then in storage for 3 more years until the new starter was trash due to condensation and calcium buildup. (horribly humid area I lived in) The new starter sat because all of a sudden my old one stopped having issues and for about 10 years, stuck with the same starter until this year when it just flat out died. I no longer have the stock manifold but changing a starter is still a pain. All is good now after going through 2 new starters and so far after 6 months, I have no problems.

So this was just more of a story to tell but you may try some of the things I did and see if it works if you're like me and money is not easy to come by in large amounts. hehe.