Hot Spark Ignition Conversion

Dust03

The way I was taught was if the power wire goes to the coil then its inductive if it gets fed by a capacitor then its a cdi type system, as I think the capacitor in the points is just there to take some of the load off the points when they break to stop it jumping across when it breaks

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CDI refers to capacitors that feed the coil. It acts like a surge tank in a fuel system. Making sure the coil always has a higher voltage input and resulting output than inductive ignitions.

CDI is not ideal for modern cars with a lean burning fuel mixture as lean mixtures require a longer spark duration to complete combustion Richer mixtures ignite faster so the CDI's short powerful spark works well in older oily and fuel rich engines.

Electronic dizzys produce a better spark than breaker points because they don't have a condensor and points still suffer the effects of physics at higher rpm with or without CDI. Electronic is the way to go.

Just wanting to add that this is not a thread of who knows best, just sharing information, so no one takes offence or starts flaming, also looking to purchase an fit a hot spark kit for the 55 in the next few weeks, hopefully it fits as would be a great option over the 5k dizzy

Its a little bit tricky to explain it all I guess as theres the different systems and then different

technologies over the years which can be mixed and matched in retrofit so could be anything

in the end Theres some excellent articles on the net about the history of ignition systems

eg http://en.wikipedia....Ignition_system

Edited by styler

The 5K dizzy I have went straight in and the other electrics stayed the same. The rate of advance was the problem, it advanced the ignition slowly as the revs built up so the motor felt very flat. I don't know if all the K electronic dizzys are the same in the weights and springs, so it might depend on exactly which dizzy you get.

Would I do it again? Yes!

Story is here-

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/42407-the-girls-ke70/page__st__45

Thanks, looks very intresting and exactly what i been looking for.

My 4k is totally stock tho, stock carb and everything, and with these gas prices i don't really mind it feeling a lil "flat" as long as it runs economical and smooth, you think this will suit my needs then?

should i check what kinda dizzy i have now just incase?

Can you get some exact L/100km figures, from full tank to full tank??

I don't think it will make a lot of difference if the car is runnng in 'as-new' tune at the moment, so about 7L/100km. Certainly it does help with some low-speed hesitation & cold running, but that is really tiny compared to the rest of the work a car does. If the points are in good condition, the coil and condensor also working fine, then electronics won't make a big difference.

I'd expect the greatest gain is in high revs where you would get points bounce with stock gear, but I can't see the averge driver needing that either.

The third place it helps is in modded motors where you are running outside the usual design specs. So I can run the SUs really lean and it fires cleaner with the electronic dizzy. What I've really done is made the car faster without using any more fuel.

My car is a lil up and down on the gas milage, its been everything from 9L100km and on a very good day maybe down to 7. i think my old dizzy is wore out, the points are good but when i adjust the timing, it can run pretty good but then suddenly the timing gets messed up and i have to adjust it again, i can keep doing this forever and it will never get completely good. Neither can i seem to get my carb adjusted completely right cuz of this issue. So I'm thinking, if i first need a new dizzy, i think its worth throwing in a few extra bucks to go electronic.

I also wanna change my coil cuz I'm not totally sure about how well it is, should i just get a original coil or is there coils thats better than others? quality is a must, i had socalled high output coils break down on me and left me stranded by the side of the road, so quality is important, but at the same time it needs to be kinda cheap.

I looked at the Kemotorsports site, but i don't find any 5k dizzys there, should i email him? if he don't have them anymore, is there other cheap options i have to get a electro dizzy? I have looked at 4k elec dizzys before, but they seems to need new coils and everything, wich seems to get pretty expensive for the whole package, i don't know if I'm correct about this since i never seen a 4k with elect dizzy before.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey all just an update

Finally arrived and set it all up

3BOS4U1 was the kit I ordered

It all works, little bit of fiddling

But all pretty simple to install, and fired up great

Just gotta set my timing and take it for a final run

Great option over the 5k dizzy

• 4 weeks later...