Thoughts On A 3Tc Into A Ke25

KE25_rolla

Hey guys,

Just wanted to gather peoples thoughts on putting a 3TC into a KE25. It doesn't seem to be all that common here in Oz at all

and that is ideally what I am looking for - something different. They seem to have a lot of success with getting good horsepower

figures from them in the US & Puerto Rico.

Is there a reason why people don't use them over here?

Parts seem to be readily available and cheap in the US.

Has anyone on the forum actually built one these engines and had success with them.

The conversion itself looks quite simple to fit into the 25.

The engines and boxes seem to be quite cheap to pickup from a T18.

They seem to respond extremely well to forced induction by way of a blow through setup.

Anybody who has luck with a good hp n/a setup I would love to hear from.

There is a guy on 3TCgarage.com from QLD who is getting 270rwhp from his and running 12's in a Celica. Does anyone know him?

Cheers for any help you can give me!

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's more an issue of crossmembers and pedal boxes which we didn't get here. Otherwise everyone would be onto it.

Plus you will need to upgrade the diff and change the propshaft, front suspension differences, brake upgrade etc etc.

But yes a great idea if you can be fagged sourcing or modifying.

I don't reckon uve got much to lose, I've just finished modifying my crossmember to suit 3t from t18 with ta22 engine mounts, apart from hydraulic clutch it should be pretty easy, I've been meanin to fit the 3t and t50 into my ke35 but work shit hours and haven't had the time, nothing to lose if u can do it for cheap, and then turbo down the track

It's more an issue of crossmembers and pedal boxes which we didn't get here. Otherwise everyone would be onto it.

Plus you will need to upgrade the diff and change the propshaft, front suspension differences, brake upgrade etc etc.

But yes a great idea if you can be fagged sourcing or modifying.

Very true Parrot, however no different I guess than putting an SR20 or 3SGE into one. A lot less trouble even I'm sure!

It is a great motor to put in a ke25 but the reason theres not many done is probably because

of the 2tg as a factory option in that chassis and also having better performance and being more

period correct etc..

Entirely agree with you on that Styler. 2TG was an option in the TE27 however I am going for something slightly different. Still a great engine and a lot of potential with the 2TG's however it has been done quite a few times. I want that wow factor when the bonnet is popped and people wonder what the hell they are looking at.

I don't reckon uve got much to lose, I've just finished modifying my crossmember to suit 3t from t18 with ta22 engine mounts, apart from hydraulic clutch it should be pretty easy, I've been meanin to fit the 3t and t50 into my ke35 but work shit hours and haven't had the time, nothing to lose if u can do it for cheap, and then turbo down the track

Would be more than eager to see our conversion so far! And if you get bored with it, feel free to sell all your goodies on to me!

A mate at work is selling the perfect conversion which includes complete front cut 20V 4AGE, dizzy relocation kit, gearbox, tailshaft etc.. I guess that would be too easy. Some of us just like to take the hard road and learn things the hard way!! ;)

3tc's just need a lot more love *cough* money to get them to output more power and I would say the valvetrain has

a lot to do with it but at least the parts are avaliable and fairly cheap overall from brdracing etc...

Theres other aspects to it all like reliability and drivability, also sometimes more power has its drawbacks if you have to

upgrade the whole driveline to match and it gets expensive and heavy at the far scale of things. 3tc turbo would be cool

but you would have to include things like aftermarket management, turbo, cooler, stronger gearbox, bigger diff and probably

bigger brakes etc its not easy to do that stuff but if you have experience it most certainly helps!

Aww mate do it..

Ive put a 3tc in my ke30 its cammed 10.1 compression twin solex 40's still running stock pistons just new rings and bearings

My points dizzy is a bit screwed and the carbys need a good tune

From 40 till 120 i just pull away from my cousins auto vn commodore

I couldnt belive my self, ive never driven a a stock one so i don't know how good they go

Ive been in a mates big port 4age ae71 sounds good, great to drive nothing special tho

The 3t would definantly give him a run for his money...but he sold it :(

I'm runing completly standard breaks and drive line, my ke30 is an early one so i have the same diff as u (jap dif)

Where abouts u from?

3tc's just need a lot more love *cough* money to get them to output more power and I would say the valvetrain has

a lot to do with it but at least the parts are avaliable and fairly cheap overall from brdracing etc...

They certainly do require a bit of "love" but the standard bottom ends are supposed to be extremely strong and will take some serious boost. On the other side of things the valvetrain does require some work but the parts are readily available and quite reasonable in price from the US. I wasn't going to go EFI - was looking at the blow through setup with a 500 holley carb which is available off the shelf, rekitted, jetted and ready for the tuirbo conversion! Still lots of research to do but if I can get my hands on a cheap T18 I would have a fair bit of the parts I need to do the conversion.

Agius - I'm loccated in Brisbane but would love to see some pics of your conversion. I assume there was no mods required to the trans tunnel etc.. Your car looks pretty cool. I used to have a 30 that we put a mildly worked L20B from a Datsun into. Mild head work, mild cam, balanced bottom end and twin 42mm webbers. Nothing special but it was putting out 98rwhp which was more than enough to beat stocko V8's and turbo's, and still scare the life out of some of those mildly worked. I will never forget racing a VK SS on the highway night watching his shift light on his monster tacho blinding him and him looking sideways at me thinking "WTF!!!" Ahh the gold old days! :)

Styler - My turbo 5k did give a great delivery of power and still quite revvy however there is not a lot you can do with the heads on them. As much work as you can do on them you will never get the air needed. Unless someone can prove me wrong and I would be more than happy for them too, because I love the K's more than any other engine.

Unfortunately the 5k head gasket blew within a matter of days, purely because I was lazy and cheap and threw it all together in a hurry out of excitement! But when she did run she flew, and that was in a slightly heavier 36 wagon.

Even though they came out with them overseas (Te27) I believe that engine is too heavy for a ke20..

They're a fcking heavy engine for a 4 cylinder..

4age is lighter, More powerful, More efficient, Much much bigger aftermarket support and they aren't all that expensive if you can get a good deal on one..

At the end of the day that's my opinion but i reckon you could do a carby 4age for about the same price as a 3tc

They certainly do require a bit of "love" but the standard bottom ends are supposed to be extremely strong and will take some serious boost. On the other side of things the valvetrain does require some work but the parts are readily available and quite reasonable in price from the US. I wasn't going to go EFI - was looking at the blow through setup with a 500 holley carb which is available off the shelf, rekitted, jetted and ready for the tuirbo conversion! Still lots of research to do but if I can get my hands on a cheap T18 I would have a fair bit of the parts I need to do the conversion.

Agius - I'm loccated in Brisbane but would love to see some pics of your conversion. I assume there was no mods required to the trans tunnel etc.. Your car looks pretty cool. I used to have a 30 that we put a mildly worked L20B from a Datsun into. Mild head work, mild cam, balanced bottom end and twin 42mm webbers. Nothing special but it was putting out 98rwhp which was more than enough to beat stocko V8's and turbo's, and still scare the life out of some of those mildly worked. I will never forget racing a VK SS on the highway night watching his shift light on his monster tacho blinding him and him looking sideways at me thinking "WTF!!!" Ahh the gold old days! :)

Nah nah bloke no mods, they come out standard with 3t in the states the model is te31 so i used a crossmember out of one of them, and a box out of a t18

Fits streight up to your standard tailshaft.

Ill post pics when i get home, damn I'm all the way in melb i would of taken ya for a spin

^^^Thats one friggin big snail haha

Yeah I mean I support the idea entirely, its a great motor because of the aftermarket support

but if you are chasing hp on the higher side of things but you will have to upgrade the drivetrain.

W55 is what you want with an early g series bellhousing to mate it to the t series block and then

something like a r31 diff, custom tailshaft and bigger brakes on the front etc.

Also ke25's are limited to around 1.8L forced induction and so its a ca18det or a 3tc turbo! :P