Transmission Problem Ke70, Help?

ke70 prorolla

Members dont see this ad

Nothing wrong with the trimatic, just ask any drag racer whose on a budget and want a strong and light auto behind a high horsepower motor.

Anyways, the trimatic operates on a vacuum for its kickdown. So it could be a problem with the vacuum line, blocked or a crack in the line somewhere.

But by the sound of it, it'll be more something internal between 2nd and 3rd, i'd say the clutch pack is slipping.

Whats the trans fluid like ? It needs to have a red tinge to it, otherwise dump the fluid and re-new it.

Apart from that your best bet would be to take it into a transmission workshop and get them to have a look at it.

If your planning on moding the 4k, you can also get the auto rebuilt to suit the motor.

Stronger and thicker band between 1st and 2nd, different clutch pack between 2nd and 3rd, change the servo for when the gear changes happen, the gear changes can also be changed for how hard/soft and fast/slow the gears get changed. The torque convertor can also be swapped for one that suits the motor's rpm range. Even the gear selection can get modified - keep it self shifting or do the shifting yourself.

If your interested in bit of drag racing, the box can setup for a trans brake.

I wouldn't class the box as boat anchor.

• Upvote 1

Thats cool. Ii don't fully remember where the vacuum line is on the transmission, i think its on the passenger side of the box. but the vacuum line will come off the base of the carby.

If you go the k50 g'box, make sure its one from another ke70. The 'gbox be had from a ke55 but the shift lever is in a different position.

Have a search on the forum, its been done few times. Altezzaclub did a good write-up of converting from auto to manual.

Well, you are right in that it works behind a high horsepower motor Rob, but a poor little 1300cc can hardly drag it around! I swear when it lands on your chest taking it out it is twice the weight of the K50.

Here's what we did Prorolla, its fiddly with the pedal box but its not hard and it makes a great difference, the car is much more sparkly around town and it actually goes up hills in the country.

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/42407-the-girls-ke70/