What To Put In A '78 Ke30?

azza_r8

Hi, i knows this question has been asked before but as I'm new to the roller scene and i really don't know what to do. i have looked at doing conversions from 4age, sr20, rb20 to rotors but I'm not sure were to start and the complexity of the conversion as its my first "do up" car. so I'm not sure if i should stick to the standard motor and turbo it or...? its allready got 32/32 carb and exhaust but not sure what else i can do to the standard motor.

Members dont see this ad

As it is your first 'do up car' I would stick to something simple. Learn the ropes on a carbied K motor. Learn how a motor works, the mods you can do and how these mods will affect the engine. Also you will need to learn about suspension upgrades, brakes etc. An engine upgrade affects almost every other part of the car.

I'd suggest unless you have a lot of help from friends or family learn the basics first. Not saying that dropping yourself in the deep end with and engine conversion is a bad thing but understanding what you are getting yourself in for is a must.

Do your research, there is a LOT of information about engine swaps into these cars. Search the internet for upgrade information.

Soo... How good is the 4K motor?? Rings good, compressions up around 150psi?? Bearings great??

If its a bit wornout then get it sonic tested & bored out to 1500cc using 5K flat top pistons. Get the crank lightened and the flywheel lightened, and get the whole lot balanced.

Head ported to suit the manifold. If you don't go to 5K pistons then skim the head to raise the compression.

Has it got extractors and a 2" or one & 3/4" all the way through? Get that organised.

Get your cam cut to suit what you want to do with it. Street use, say 280deg.. more or less as you want.

That's the main gains, but make sure the air filter system pulls in cold air and doesn't inhibit airflow, maybe electronic dizzy, and quad carbs off a bike.

The bottom end will haul 9000rpm according to Philfrederick's build, so here's nothing wrong with a K motor, its just that the head/cam is not efficient.

You could of course just buy his motor, the simplest conversion possible!

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/51097-4k-twin-cam-now-for-sale/