It's_AUDM_Yo

I was wondering on peoples opinions on putting a SC12 on a 16v 4AGE smallport (N/A)

So it will be high comp. I'm not planning on running massive boost.

What would I be needing to change/upgrade to get it to work. Rough figures on price would be ripper!

As its possibly to buy 4AGZE so I obviously I wouldn't want to spend more than one of those cost

So what I assume currently is:

Bigger injectors- 7mgte or 4agze, is there any other options?

New ecu- could a 4agze be used? or aftermarket?

Intercooler and plumping setup.

Some what modified loom or possibly 4agze one? Not sure what would be necessary here

New intake manifold or 4agze or will it fit the standard one?

Will it bolt on the same as a 4agze?

Any other things I would need to do/use

Many thanks!

Members dont see this ad

I reckon Willis is on the ball..

$1500 or even less for a GZE with loom and ecu. Buying all those parts could end up near that..

300 for a charger, 150~ for injectors + rebuild, Gze loom + ecu couple of hundred again..

Sell your motor for $1200 bucks to some JDM as fcuk drift nut and purchase a GZE.

Thing is though, i wouldn't run one in front of a t50 or a borgy.. I know people have.. But still

There's 2 kinds of ke70 drifters though. And the group who cover their cars in JDM as fck stickers etc are usually the ones who pay the most for stuff, whether to impress their mates at Maccas carparks or ignorance of pricing i'm not. Anyway personal views aside..

It is do-able, but is it worth it? Is the question

JDM as fcuk drift nut

Resident Drift Nut

JONO!

I was wondering on peoples opinions on putting a SC12 on a 16v 4AGE smallport (N/A)

Just finish what your doing GUY! Stick to the PLAN!

Edited by GJM85

I havent specifically done what you are talking about, but i have been invovled with high compression turbo, which is what your real issue is going to be.

you can forget any idea of using a standard ecu, high compression forced induction is ALL about the tune. get it right and it will be one sweet engine, get it wrong and catastrophy awaits very soon. Anything that can go wrong goes wrong quick in high compression. destruction of my mates 12a turbo 6 days after rebuild is a testament to this....

I would be inclined to avoid the sc12, too old. Try and get a modernish turbo on there, or at least one that you can get rebuilt. but either way a you either have to figure out how to mount the supercharger + piping or turbo + piping. I have seen an sc12 with standard RWD intake and it looked real neat. so it can be done.

Injectors: plenty of options as the injector is the same as lots of others, the FC rx7 injectors are 440cc (4age smallport is 200 or 210cc i think). the 7mgte might work, either way get whatever you choose cleaned and flow tested before you use them.

Your an engineer, time to start looking at this like an engineer:P

http://www.not2fast.com/turbo/glossary/turbo_calc.shtml

That calc is a great way to design turbos and fuel requirements. takes a while to understand, but its very good.

Pick an aftermarket ecu and make a new loom, get new plugs for everything. Makes for a very neat and clean install. Your experience with trying to "fix" your current loom is a tesatment to the fact that stuff around with 25yr old looms on a modified engine/car is a complete and utter pain in the ass and not worth the hastle! haha. good idea to go with individual coils while your at it as well.

intercooler and exhaust, well you just have to get creative, a small front mount (400x300 maybe) will fit between the grill and bumper, get some or make some pipes to suit. Did this on an 86 and worked a treat, DIY gasless mig intercooler pipes sure are ugly, but sure work good!

And before all of this you find a tuner that will tune it for you, or you buy a wideband, a knock sensor + headphones, and spend weeks tuning it yourself. Its great fun and rewarding, but does take time and dangerous if you get it wrong!

Awesome info dave!

This is going to be my daily once its rego'd so I'm trying to keep it simple and reliable...ish.

And that high comp is really going to effect the reliability.

Its just I can get a sc12 very cheaply. So I was just seeing if a I could run a basic setup but yeah its $ vs performance is not really worth it.

Yeah I have been using that calculator for planning my next build (400ish hp toyota of similar era some people know what it is)

Edited by It's_AUDM_Yo

Buying a GZE with loom and ecu will be always be the best option. Engine is built for purpose and no tuning is required.

GZE price ~$2000

N/A to SC

GZE = $200 - $350

Induction piping + pulleys ~$100

GZE ECU ~$100

GZE loom ~$???

GZE sensors ~$???

Reliability = 0

So on the cheap yes you can do it but with factory tuning on a non standard high comp setup will blow your motor up pretty quick.

Done properly:

As above with the charger and plumbing/pulleys ~$450

After marker ECU = $2500 with flying lead kit, maybe a bit more with sensors included.

Wiring the loom, cost for someone else to do it could be upwards of $500

Tune is about $1000 for something average.

Or pay a total of $5000 for a walk in with all your bits and walk out with a fully functioning and safely tuned engine that still will blow eventually

because of excessively high cylinder temps.

Seriously buy a GZE. I've had these thoughts before when I wanted to build a 20 Valve turbo an realised at the end of the day I would have spent 3x as much as just buying

an engine that was already a turbo

I'm not saying that this can't be done though. If you have good knowledge and if you can do %90 of the work yourself you can save on all but the tune and parts.

Good luck!

^Yeah seems like its in the too hard/not worth it basket

Seeing its for a daily the sc12 is probably a better option, mainly for the near flat torque curve they give.

How available is E85 up your way Leo? Might be the only way a near 11:1 4AGE will hold together with any boost.

E85 is pretty easy to get up here I know of a few servo's that sell it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm Sorry... but alot of people are trying to avoid answering your real question.

These are facts... not my opinion.

A guy over on club4ag did this years ago

(http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=4179)

Standard 4age (was a bigport, but comp difference between smallport *shouldnt* make any difference).

Standard Ecu

Standard injectors

Standard airflow/map sensor

Tiny Turbo = 5-7psi boost.

He should've made atleast 100kw atw - thats better then a 20v.

This would be even more do-able with a sc12/sc14 because sc's are max 8 (standard pully) anyway, find a bigger pully and the pressure will drop (I thought of even using a powersteering pully to drop it to 4-5psi - to be safe).

I'm in the process of doing this just for proof of concept on my ae82 Bigport.

sc12/14 - $250-$350

Intercooler/Pipeing - $180

Retard the timing - $0-$50 (either you do it or a mechanic)

And maybe changing the pulley to reduce boost - $10

I've tried to do the 20v/gze conversion before... i've owned a gze before.... and its just not worth the hastle trying to swap one in (let alone converting to rwd for you).

Everything will go in no worries, but the wiring / getting it to run right is the killer.

If you get the auto electrician to do it (a good job) $1500.

The standard 4age setup is very adaptable, I'm sure you've noticed this (its why i love them so much).

In conclusion.... why spend $2000+ and 3months work to get a 4agze

when you can get the power you want with a simple bolt on setup - $500 and 2 days work.

Hope this helps.

Edited by gosumonkey