Ecotec V6 Into Ke30..... What Are Your Thoughts???

Charge_Racing

Alrighty.....

So ive got myself a nice straight ke30 shell.... 4door, pretty straight.

I'm looking at engine conversions and ive thought about doing a V6 ecotec transplant.... now one of the reasons for choosing this engine is the cost! these engines are dirt cheap and being on a budget, thats a big thing for me!

I want to build the car as abit of a wknd fun car.... it will not be rego'd, i will trailer the car to events. I'm hoping to take it out to the drag strip, maybe a few hill climbs and circuit days even.....

what are your thoughts on this particular engine in my car????

keep in mind that the car will be FULLY stripped and that its not going to be rego'd and that i wanna stick to a budget! id love to drop a 13b turbo or even a sr20det, but obviously price plays a big factor!

Am i going to get good performance out of a v6 ecotec engine in a ke30????

All info will be appreciated!

thanks,

Tye

Members dont see this ad

I have no idea on size and fitting things in KE30s but I suggest having a look at Barra 4L's.

More advanced engine, more power, vct and etc. You also have the option of going turbo later down the track.

They should be pretty cheap seeing as there sold in Falcon's and Territory's and they started production 02

Some food for thought.

I'm halfway through a v6 into my ke70 its been done a few times

ive seen footage of the supercharged v6 in a 55 and it went nuts

only thing is the weight gain in the front end

the v6 isnt that big of a motor but it will be a significant increase

bang for buck i say go for it.

will need to custom fab everything up to mount and and make room in the tunnel for the box

If its a weekend fun car, go for it, My thoughts are that its not worth it,

Stock 13B with a hi flowed turbo, will see 350hp, and alot of fun,

at least something that is realistic can even end up on the street with rego, only adds to the excitement

thanks for all ur opinions.... I'm pretty set on the idea, but just wanted to know some other people's thoughts.....

I think with a stripped car.... The engine making round 250hp after a few mods.... It'll be a fun car to take down the 1/4 mile..... With some slicks on the rear.... It'll hook up nicely! It won't be no 9 second car, but It should be half quick still....

• 4 weeks later...

I also have a KE30 4 door which I'm debating over what powerplant to use.. and own a Vu ute with an ecotec. Running stock 175kw as new so realisticly around 150kw or less now.. I had to do a replacement due to a broken head gasket and for the money (i got one with <52,000kms for $750) required to achieve a deicent power output, this could be better spent on another motor..

would certainly be interested to see one done though as yes it would sure be a cheap boost of well 100kw at better then $10 per Kw :)

After much discussion with mates I'm now going for either a barra 4L or L67 (supercharged ecotec)

Either way can keep you updated on how it goes in.

Also, with the power & weight increase what suspension/brake upgrades are you thinking of running?

The V6 will be the easier option, its only 3cylinders long, where as the I6 ford motor will require some cut and shut with the firewall.

I dare say the I6 will be the more expensive option too.

Either would give you a smile though.

If it was me, Id be grabbing a standard ecotech v6 and a cheap turbo kit for 8psi, the L67's fetch a pretty penny most days.

id just grab a 3lt mitsubishe v6 out of pajero, triton, challenger, magna and bolt it to a two wheel drive triton gearbox and at least you have overhead cams instead of pushrods and they go like the clappers (you could also use the mitsubishe 3.5 dohc and make it really scream)

hey tye, i've done the v6 with t5 gearbox and it fits in neat, used commodore engine mounts ,mod the crossmember used auto rear gearbox mount, sits level in the car, will have to use vn headers and take time to make it fit around the steering box and clears the steering arms below ,I used a subaru gt forester radiator with twin thermos ,all wired up to computer and starts off the standard toyota key ,will try to put up more photos for you

BILD2687.JPG

BILD2686.JPG

BILD2684.JPG

BILD2680.JPG

BILD2678.JPG

BILD2813.JPG

id just grab a 3lt mitsubishe v6 out of pajero, triton, challenger, magna and bolt it to a two wheel drive triton gearbox and at least you have overhead cams instead of pushrods and they go like the clappers (you could also use the mitsubishe 3.5 dohc and make it really scream)

Yikes, they really are the worst part of any pajero/ triton/ challenger. The moo motor may have pushrods, but is reliable as can be, as opposed to the troublesome mitsubishi v6.