75' Ke30 S15 Sr20 Conversion

Souli

Hi Guys,

New member so forgive any rookie mistakes.

finally getting started on converting my 75' KE30 into a jap spec S15 6SPD MANUAL SR20 turbo.

i know this gets asked alot although i will ask again.

i need a few tips on what diff to get and at what ratio best suits an everyday driver.

keep hearing hilux hilux etc, although i am open to other alternatives.

also with brakes- what would best suit a project like this.

i am lucky to have access to an uncles mechanic where we will be doin the job ourselves.

but jus curious to see what would be my best option in regards to the above mentioned.

although its not super cheap doing this sort of conversion, I'm not goin all out either in regards to top of the range bits n bobs.

but for the important stuff like diffs brakes n exhaust where the money has to be spent I'm all ears.

ive attached some pics of the little beast as she is now.

ill be posting pics of the progress as we go..

cheers!

new guy!

post-17497-0-63737200-1353475693_thumb.jpg

post-17497-0-82612800-1353475768_thumb.jpg

post-17497-0-41567600-1353475857_thumb.jpg

post-17497-0-02869500-1353475947_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad

thanks for the advice lads.

seeing as this will b my everyday ride and not all bout how quick it can go my mechanic has

suggested that i throw in a 9inch diff that way although its heavier, i will never hav to worry bout it again..

so wen its time for few upgrades i don't have to worry..

What u guys think?

Slot some billet axels in the hilux diff, and weight and reliability won't be a prob,

Unless you have a huge fuel system and big stereo with weight over the back with sticky tyres you won't break it,

I drove mine as a daily and threw heaps at it and just spun the tyes

I can't really see how reliability is even a factor in the choice.

Any diff will be reliable if its well maintained, and any diff will be unreliable if it is neglected.

What size and type of tyre do you intend on running?

the ke30 is a light car, very light. so you don't need big monstrous machinery to propel it well.

even an R31 skyline diff is a good choice for the ke30. comes with discs too, its a bigger diff, but its not too big.

Whats a 9" diff from? don't they put those in muscle cars wth huge v8s?

Hi mate, love your Ke30 looks like mine just with two extra doors. I'm currently doing a conversion on mine also ive used an R31 skyline diff for a few reasons. Standard LSD, Disk brakes, 28 spline axles, same stud pattern as corolla and cheap as to buy. They also fit the shape of the floor alot better than a hilux diff which i had in my old FJ20 powered Ke30 and not even being that low the diff used to hit the foor as the housing is different in shape and doesnt clear as easy as the R31 diff. A friend of mine ran a 9 inch in his corolla, it was major overkill and the floor was modified to fit it as they are huge. If you need any info or have questions about Sr20 swap I'm happy to help as ive done this conversion in my mates KE30 also. Good luck !

• Upvote 1

i will def look into that man..

thanks heaps..

looking at changing gearbox to an RB25 5 speed not instead of the 6 speed s15.

wont really affect the handbrake n gearstick posi as much.

and from what i have researched a very strong gbox.

what gearbox r u running mick?