Ke26 Got Rear Ended, What To Do?

Nostalgia

So I was in a carpark about to reverse into a park when I looked behind me and a 30 year old L plater of a different nationality with a female supervisory driver of another different nationality (not to be named.. :osama: :ninja:) were looking at the park (which was now behind them) whilst driving forward and crashed into me.

My rear bumper which used to be m.int is now dented, bent and pushed right up to the body of the car, so I'm not sure how bad it is underneath.

My tailgate which also used to be m.int now has a dent in it also, about the length/width of an iPhone. Their car hit the area just above the exhaust, hitting that too. Thank god, because I reckon that stopped it from pushing everything in further, but now that too is on an angle.

I'm so cut up.

I got out of the car fuming and shaking, but the guy offered his number straight up and said he'll wire me the money, so I'm guessing they have no insurance.

I'm not sure what to do. Regarding the bumper, should I find the m.intest I can and get him to pay for it?

And with the tailgate, I was thinking about getting some quotes from a body place to do it, then get the money off this guy.

I've never had to do this stuff before, and I'm not sure how much the tailgate + paint will cost, am I going about this the right way?

Any help would be awesome, thanks.

Toby.

Members dont see this ad

Dad told me to keep it private and not bother with the cops. Got quotes today; one place said $150 for only the bottom half of the tailgate under the seam, the others were $600 - $1000, but that includes painting the whole tailgate and removing the glass etc. The paint on the 26 is faded and the white powdery sun stuff now, so I think just doing the bottom half of the tailgate is the best bet because I'll just end up with a glossy tailgate that doesn't match, even after polish etc. One boss I went to didn't even want his employee to bother giving me a quote because "I'll never actually get it done because the paints faded" rah rah rah.. Others were saying things like, "Golden oldie you got there!"

As for the bumper, hopefully I'll be heading up north to have a look at one and an early grille this week.

My Vn got tboned about a year ago in similar circumstances... Foreign L plater.. I mentioned asio and then he got in my car to get me to take him to the ATM.. Hahah "I pay cash now" comes to mind.. Shame about your Rolla tho brother. Hope it all works out for you! Definitely go to the cops, and tell the cops that you can't thru to them on the number they provided and then the cops will call and that generally gets them

A bit motivated :)

@Rolla van man - hahahahaha "I pay cash now", that's hilarious!

Haven't gone to the cops as of yet, don't want to get the guy in trouble unless he screws me around. We have been in touch though, he's not denying anything!

Went and picked up pretty good nic 20 rear and front bumpers and an early mesh grille with the badge for $100 today, should all polish up nicely. Not m.int, but will do as spares. I'm going to get a quote for the bumper to be repaired as proof of value, as I can't find any new ones on eBay or anything and they usually go for $400 dammit!