How Not To Build A Rally Car

altezzaclub

Well! So little achieved..... We mounted up the winch, which went fine-

post-7544-0-01436700-1377002096_thumb.jpg

Grabbed an unsuspecting X-trail and hooked it up. We lifted the tray to make sure the wire rope didn't rub on the end of it, and to lower the angle that the ramps sat at. It actually looked very high...

post-7544-0-68320800-1377002256_thumb.jpg

The winch hauled it up without a problem, we dropped the tray a bit as the front wheels went onto the deck. ..and we finally decided that this was the easiest way to get a car loaded!

post-7544-0-84395100-1377002334_thumb.jpg

They headed off to rescue the Corona and I headed back into the shed to continue the fight with the nav's door and guard. The door is a 'new' one, the body is a bent one with lots of welding and added metal and the guard has been rolled on... Getting the three of them to fit together took the day,

post-7544-0-82527600-1377003378_thumb.jpg

We did manage to strip half the bonnet back to bare metal. The spares car is in excellent nick, so I couldn't understand why the paint was crazed through to the metal. It's about 2mm thick, with a second bronze paint under a thick spray-filler layer.. I finally figured it must have been a hail-damaged car, and the repairs were not too hot so they have crazed the original paint underneath as well. Anyway, it will have to be ripped back on all the top surface of the bonnet and one guard. -tomorrow...

Members dont see this ad

Well. we did finally get paint on today! The bonnet looked great scrubbed back to bare metal with all sort of patterns from the paint remover disc. I would've clear-coated it if we had some..

post-7544-0-52618000-1377092037_thumb.jpg

The guards were just wiped with thinners while Steve went over the chassis, as was the silver door- The rolled-on one looked pretty sad, but it will do.

post-7544-0-88117600-1377092178_thumb.jpg

The inside went a sort-of dirty white, but I'd had enough of black interiors so anything was better!

post-7544-0-58358600-1377092259_thumb.jpg

By mid-afternoon it was all gloss white, and we had picked up an audience who all watched from along the fence.

post-7544-0-69506200-1377092361_thumb.jpg

So, now it can dry overnight, being cheap 3-in-one epoxy enamel. Tomorrow I can get inside the car and Steve can assemble the suspension. We started on the new axle seals but got distracted by the semi-locked diff having a binding spot for half a turn, so first thing tomorrow we should swap an axle out and see if its a bent axle or in the spider gears. The axles look fine, but I don't know how much they need to be bent to bind slightly.

Steve's dad thought the scrutineers might think the steel post dash frame a bit strange, so I figure we can always cover it in cage rubber if needed. There is just a giant empty space in front of the navigator now. Steve reckons I made the tacho/speedo too high, you can see sweet FA out of a Celica at the best of times, so I'm halfway through a new lower mount for them.

A saturday rally looks difficult!

Meh! No chance of finishing it! Today Steve fitted rear suspension and that is all done, axles, brakes, fresh diff oil, new Bilsteins. We assembled the front struts and he fitted those so we have brakes and Terratrip on, while I sorted steering and wiring.

Tomorrow it can go on its wheels and we will drop the motor and box in, so I can start testing the electrics, but its hard to rally a car without doors or front panels!

Cie la vie, it will be all go for Bateman's Bay, which is in a month.

Unlucky, but I think you are wise for letting this one go. No point rushing and just stuffing everything up, get it right then take out right next race ;)

Yeah, I eventually realised today that there was no way we could get it back together in time. Keith says these apprentices are a bit slow sometimes! :P

So many days work after a mistake made in seconds... Ah it's all good fun! :)

There are pretty self-explanatory-

Blowing up Grumpy's motor doing burnouts with a full tank of 98... can't leave that in there-

post-7544-0-95887000-1377579522_thumb.jpg

...and I sorted Nell's Datsun 1300 ute after they mis-fitted a new carb so it couldn't have the throttle cable fitting AND a stock air cleaner, it had to be one of the other!

post-7544-0-80486500-1377579116_thumb.jpg

..and his little bro & I stole a 4K straight out of a paddock-basher he'd just bought and he never knew until he went to start it. THAT classic is on a phone video I must get my hands on!

Happy 21st mate !!! Enjoy the day!

Edited by altezzaclub

• 4 weeks later...

Finally.... UPDATES! Third year double degree seems to be taking up too many of my rally weekends! Last weekend was lost to the WRC at Coffs... was great fun, getting lost attempting to find spectator points in the new KE70, and then out there cheering on Batesy in the RA40 and Steerfast in the Group B Celica! :)

A few weekends ago I had pulled the funny feeling diff out and took it up to our cousin Brian who lives up the road from us to inspect (Brian does all our diff work for Bundy Rum payments- nothing like a relative with years of rally and diff experience with an ARC welder haha- thanks Brian). Turns out that the welds were about half worn in the sun gears and that he wanted to top them back up again, so the diff was left with him.

So took the weekend off from uni and headed home! Sorry for not taking enough photos, totally slips my mind when busy!

Saturday:

Got a flat tyre in my new KE70 daily a couple of days ago (that I grabbed off a 95 year old lady a couple of weeks ago)... so hunted around the farm sheds until I found another R13 155/80 Corolla wheel haha! Then knocked the rubber drain plugs out all through the boot where water had been trapped and rust starting to come though. BTW absolutely loving driving this 1.3L auto KE70, it's such a driver's car,it's so underpowered that it's hilarious holding it flat everywhere, corners or not :P! We have great plans to make this Woolshed Rallying's next build! :)

Then, with a spare again and all set to head up to the shed, MORE DISTRACTIONS! Dad needed help to pull a calf out of a cow that was having calving difficulties... Farm life huh! So after wrestling with this 500kg cow to stop it choking itself on it's rope noose that we were using to to hold it still, the calf was pulled out alive and they both lived happily ever after! Pretty rewarding stuff :), a couple of hours later and the calf would have been dead! post-10167-0-66669700-1380032772_thumb.jpg post-10167-0-71858900-1380032805_thumb.jpgpost-10167-0-25845900-1380032823_thumb.jpgpost-10167-0-45619200-1380032884_thumb.jpg

Straight after, I managed to drag my mate Matty home for the weekend to help (who often helps work on the rally car and all our other cars with my bro and I- thanks Matty!). We headed up to the shed, stopping at cousin Brian's on the way up there to pick up the rally car's diff. Took some photos of the unusual animals playing around the house! Some Guinea Fowl in the trees and a little Angus potty calf with THAT FACE! Hahahaha! post-10167-0-69554600-1380032898_thumb.jpgpost-10167-0-32206100-1380032914_thumb.jpg

THEN STRAIGHT TO THE WOOLSHED... well so I thought until MORE distractions! Visit the old lady Nell with the Datsun ute on the way up, and she tells us that she left her lights on in it and it had a flat battery...

So off Matty and I head up to it's shed to switch batteries with the Rodeo ute next to it. Throw the bonnet open to find Keith's floorless air cleaner setup- displayed in photos in the above post, MISSING. A carby with no air filter! MY RALLY SOCK WAS GONE! Then I have a look over the bay... and then down to the exhaust manifold... to find MY RALLY SOCK SITTING ON THE EXHAUST! I pick it up to find it's been HALF MELTED by the exhaust! KEITH!!!!

So we switch the batteries while i have a bit of a think about the air filter situation...

Then head back to the house to update Nell and ask for some old stocking and some scissors. It's time to get Woolshed!

Now next thing was that I had recently sold my 4AGE AE71 wagon to my brother, and under the contract it was stated that I had to return it's front suspension to stock. It currently had a Nissan Silvia S13 front end conversion which included S13 LCAs, rack ends, entire coil over struts and brakes, brake master etc. If I pulled these struts out they are mine to sell and go straight into rallying! I figure I've pulled the front end out of the rally car about 100 times now and with my "boundless optimism" (that Keith uses to describe me) I figured we'd have it all out in a couple of hours... Well you know what reality brings with these sorts of jobs... 6 hours later... ball joints that wouldn't break, stupid brake lines with special key star shaped clamps that you don't have the tool for... All good fun :P Then the LCA to X member bolt wasn't a simple bolt with nut on the end... the was thread in the lca and we couldn't figure out why the hell the bolt wouldn't come out =/ weird new car stuff... This was my first time playing with a steering rack too, pretty cool, learnt lots :)

Finished by 10pm, cleaned up, packed the 70 with all the tools and S13 gear ready to sell, then headed back to Nell's Datsun ute and made an epic woolshed stocking air filter complete with zipties. Bet it lasts longer than your setup Keith! :P

Then heading up to the woolshed to drop everything off, lock up and head home. By now was pretty tired, casually talking more rubbish to Matty, crusing at like 60km/h packed with S13 suspension AND THEN A KANGAROO JUMPED OUT IN FRONT OF MY NANNA KE70! My reaction time was so slow, still managed to swerve gently but it just clipped the front left... :( Jumped out straight away to find it had minimum damage :) smashed indicator below the bumper, pushed in front beaver panel, bonnet and grill fine :) had knocked the left hand driving light completely out of it's bracket however! To our amazement, it simply just needed pushing back into it's bracket and was back to normal! It had been one long day...

Sunday:

Wake up to find Matty's already put Nell's battery on charge and reattached the hanging smashed indicator caused by the roo!

We eventually get our shit together and got up to the Woolshed! I'd headed back earlier that week with another friend and cleaned the place up while we were waiting on the diff...

It was time to get some work done! Blasted the diff out to get rid of any welding slag with petrol in the SCA degreaser air compressor tool, then Matty got a bit carried away and blasted the diff housing out after I had properly cleaned it out with rags and newspaper. It's a bit of a silly idea having an off centre drain plug on the diff, like I can understand they do it so you can put a jack under the centre of the diff, but it's sort of defeating the purpose of draining the diff when there's still a puddle of oil and crap sitting below the drain point at the centre bottom of the housing.... That's where I managed to find the missing tooth that Brian had told us about off the sun gears. :P

It doesn't matter though because the diff locks before it ever reaches the missing sungear tooth. Should have gotten a photo....

After cleaning everything we had to fix a three of the 10 studs (that hold carrier assembly in the housing) the had screwed themselves out when I pulled the diff out a few weekends back, that we had to fix. I worked out the reason they had unscrewed themselves was because they were the three studs closest to the bottom and had copped the usual rally abuse from rocks and the threads were mashed. As I had hurriedly taken the assembly out a couple of weekends back, the nuts only unscrewed so far before getting stuck on the mashed threads and then pulled the studs out with them. So we spent a fair bit of time mucking around with putting the studs back in and then using our cheap arse tap and die set on the studs and nuts until it all went together hunky doory haha. Now I think about it... Would have been easier to run a die over the studs before putting them back into the housing... Instead of trying to get the die straight while lying under the car sideways and then only being able to turn it a third of a turn at a time... lol it's all a good learning experience, very different to uni, but still learning :)

Matty and I have mucked around with these diffs before so once the studs were right and we'd cleaned up both surfaces, continuing to use our weet-bix box gasket that's been there since we started rallying, slapped some sealant down and put it back together. Axles back in, brakes re-connected and on and diff refilled. All pretty straight forward. Then mucked around with attaching the terratrip at the front and putting wheels on all round.

Then after clearing everything from in, on, around and under the car we got up to the exciting part- how the hell to lower the car safetly from it's high arse custom stands that we got made ages ago. See, usually we just lower it onto our smaller SCA stands and then onto the ground, but Richard's 4AGE wagon was sitting on those... So I decided to employ a Grumpy technique used by many for lowered vehicles... Blocks of wood under the tyres. Eventually got it back onto the ground and rolled it back out of the shed to finally sweep and cleanup. Very motivating seeing the car FINALLY back on it's wheels! :) post-10167-0-13160900-1380032928_thumb.jpgpost-10167-0-98017000-1380032941_thumb.jpgpost-10167-0-93691500-1380032951_thumb.jpgpost-10167-0-47881200-1380032961_thumb.jpg

By now it was 7pm and dad had phoned to say dinner was ready so we cleaned up and got the engine ready to put back in, left the fire going and shed open to ensure we actually came back to get the main goal done (putting the engine back in). Headed home for dinner and got back up by 9pm. By now tiredness was catching up, but the motivation was still there! It all went a bit downhill though...

Looked around the shed for a chain to pick the engine up... a strap... steel cable... anything? Nothing... Decided to head over to another shed to steal a chain off the tractor. Nothing there either... Getting pretty cold and late now... had to be back at uni that night too. Finally found a steel cable, although way too long, figured we'd get it to work. Try doubling it up but it kept picking the engine up to one side, tried a few different methods... finally got one where it picked it up high at the front (perfect for putting our engine and gearbox combo back in together)... and then gearbox oil starts pissing out the back as expected... tiredness catching up... stupid mistakes... try to block it with rags while I remember that I sold my yoke for doing this for $50 to some guy on here... regretting it now lol. Figure I'll grab the yoke off the spare car's tailshaft... we go hunting around in the parts shed with torches... only can find one tailshaft to suit RA40. Then I remembered that (I think) I gave Keith my spare tailshaft for him to modify for The Girl's KE70 T series conversion. So my spare yoke is 6 hours away at Orange! Must be time for you to come back up to the Woolshed Keith! :)

Gave up at this point, put the engine back on it's stand, rolled the car back in and headed back to uni as it was now 11pm and 9am lectures everyday.

After all that, get an email Monday to say that the Coopernook Rallysprint scheduled for this Saturday has been cancelled due to too much fire danger potential from the rally cars interacting ith the dry environment or something ridiculous. So our next aim is Bombala AMSAG round on the 26th October (just one week after uni exams).

A bit long winded, but hey, if you actually read all that, top stuff, took ages to write! :P

Ah, some action at last! That's pretty sad about the Weber sock, I didn't expect that to happen. Damm zipties are not up to it! I hope you didn't just tie a bit of cloth straight across the top of the carb!

6 hours later... ball joints that wouldn't break

Education is expensive... So much to learn! So, what is your bro going to do with the three cars he's owns when none of them run! ??

t doesn't matter though because the diff locks before it ever reaches the missing sungear tooth.

Hmmm... so, what caused it to break off if it doesn't get hit by another tooth?? Still, it was a good thing you pulled it out again and checked it!

and then gearbox oil starts pissing out the back as expected... tiredness catching up...

Yep! Working late at night is not good! ..and the floor STILL isn't painted to make it easy-clean!

OK, I've got the little busbar we need for the ammeter, bro John is talking about coming down to stay wih me & going to Bathurst V8s, and that all ties in with dropping him back up at Coolies then fetching The Girl .BSc from Uni just as you have your last exams. Then we can hit it!

That mudguard looks OK at night! lol!

Ah, some action at last! That's pretty sad about the Weber sock, I didn't expect that to happen. Damm zipties are not up to it! I hope you didn't just tie a bit of cloth straight across the top of the carb!

Err... yeah... I didn't do that... :P

Education is expensive... So much to learn! So, what is your bro going to do with the three cars he's owns when none of them run! ??

He's apparently going to daily this wagon when I put it back together... Just picked up new rack ends and a left hand dust boot for it today.

Hmmm... so, what caused it to break off if it doesn't get hit by another tooth?? Still, it was a good thing you pulled it out again and checked it!

We're not really sure, we couldn't get that missing tooth area to get anywhere near a weld... bit of a mystery.

Yep! Working late at night is not good! ..and the floor STILL isn't painted to make it easy-clean!

One of these days...

OK, I've got the little busbar we need for the ammeter, bro John is talking about coming down to stay wih me & going to Bathurst V8s, and that all ties in with dropping him back up at Coolies then fetching The Girl .BSc from Uni just as you have your last exams. Then we can hit it!

Sounds like a plan! We're heading to World Time Attack on the 18th/19th but should be all go the second we get back.

That mudguard looks OK at night! lol!

Didn't turn out too badly at all haha! :)

Edited by InSaNiTy

• 2 weeks later...

Happened to see a rather rusty rolla on the back of the woolshed rally truck at Gingers Creek Roadhouse over the weekend. Parts beast or spare shell?

Should of come over and said g'day! :) She's a parts car, found at a very good price... I'm cooking up a few Woolshed Rallying plans for these glorious holidays that begin in a week! Stay tuned!

... Ah now HE knows! :P