Ban On Young People Driving High-Powered Cars Mooted

The Mayor of Ipswitch wants young people limited to slower cars after an 18yr-old drivng a Subaru survived a crash that killed two passengers.

Personally I think its a load of crap, typical of a politician wanting to be seen to be "doing something'. Limiting what cars you can drive is just an extension of the L and P plate scenario, and you can see that plenty of inexperienced drivers kill themselves quite well with the vehicles they are allowed to drive. Banning certain cars will have as much effect as banning drugs and guns...

You have to take responsibilty for yourself, and if you get into that car then you are saying you are happy with the driver. I've told people to stop and then got out in the past, I'd rather walk than die. The 150kph is quite achievable in a KE70, so I don't know what he thinks he would let 18yr-olds drive!

Cartainly I can't see driving schools and advanced driving courses helping this problem, neither of those teach you high-speed car control and from what I've heard they are ridiculed amongst the young guys who are the targets here.

To me its Darwin in action, we need to clean the gene pool constantly. Those that survive their youth make better parents for the next generation, while those who are too reckless live fast and short lives, be it on horseback, cars or in the armed services.

Am I the only person who thinks his idea is a waste of time??

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-02/call-to-ban-youths-from-driving-high-performance-cars/4449924

Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasale says he wants a ban on young people driving high-powered cars, after two men were killed in a crash west of Brisbane yesterday.

The men, aged 19 and 28, were flung out of a high-performance Subaru that crashed through trees, fences and homes at Silkstone. Police are waiting to question the 18-year-old driver, who survived but remains in hospital with serious injuries.

Councillor Pisasale says too many young people are being killed in high-performance cars. He wants legislators to consider laws banning young people from driving high-performance cars until they are older and more experienced.

"This is a wake-up call for everybody - cars are getting faster and faster," he said.

"When I was at the scene yesterday it was just a nightmare.

"Authorities have to start looking at young people getting their licences - they really have to go through driving schools and then go through a defensive driving school.

"I think what we have got to do is make sure when people get these cars and the type of car they get, there has to be some limiting factors."

He says police have taken council security footage showing the car driving at dangerous speeds just before the crash.

"Yesterday was a very sad day - it highlights once again that driving fast, speed, is just a result in death and the community suffers," he said.

"The speed they were travelling at yesterday was virtually two to three times the normal limit - that's a result for disaster and now we are all suffering."

Councillor Pisasale says young people are not mature enough to drive these types of cars.

"What's happening - especially with the Subaru this young gentleman had - they just can't control the speed and the emotions that go with them having a fun time," he said.

Members dont see this ad

I heard this on the news this morning. Quite possibly one of the most rediculous things i've heard for a while.

A stock WRX isnt that fast anyway. A turbo diesel golf would give it a good run.

He did say something about better training i think? making it compulsary to do driver courses if you want to drive performance cars or something?. I think this idea has merrit. Perhaps make it compulsary for everyone to do it though?

A standard impreza is by no means a fast car.

Pretty much any car has these day has the potential to reach double the speed limit.

As long as there is cars and dick heads this will happen.

I also think the older people should get off there high horse and face the facts that there is just as many of them in crashes as there are p platers.

To me its Darwin in action, we need to clean the gene pool constantly. Those that survive their youth make better parents for the next generation, while those who are too reckless live fast and short lives, be it on horseback, cars or in the armed services.

Honestly find this part a bit insulting, sounds like you're condemming a vital part of society with that comment :S

Ignoring that though; I think the best way to go about this is some better education in school (Driver Ed). Half of the stuff isn't retained once people leave high school as its of no use. Whereas something like this would be used repeatedly on a daily basis.

Honestly find this part a bit insulting, sounds like you're condemming a vital part of society with that comment

Well, I don't find them vital at all, but that's a different argument. (ducks from Irokin!)

Its just a great place for people to do crazy dangerous things in an acceptable manner.

I can't see it being possible to teach people not to speed, that's not something you learn, but it is possible to teach them car control.

In NZ there's no passengers allowed on a restricted licence unless there is someone with an open licence in the car.

they must have had their full licence for more than 2 years as well, and must be in the passenger seat, and must be sober.

Edited by beachlander

they must have had their full licence for more than 2 years as well, and must be in the passenger seat, and must be sober.

Sober.... haha not even ow!

How are they suppose to give shout outs on motorway patrol

Ditch the airbags, ramp up the traction aids so they won't be able to break traction for a burnout or a slide, throttle by wire, gps speed limited to, say, 10 kph over the speed zones.

Unrestricted engine mods but the ecu, traction aids, throttle control nor the gps can be touched or moded in any way.

What a wonderful dreamland we live in.