Ae71 Clutch Issue

NEO_E70

Hey guys,

Recently the clutch in my AE71 seems to have given in.

Fully depressing the pedal seems to have no effect, unable to put into any gear.

Prior to this initiating reverse would give a crunch more often than not which didn't happen at all previously.

Fluid levels are within operating ranges.

Not sure if worth mentioning but there is a wet patch below my transmission drain plug.

Doesn't appear to be any leaks to clutch assembly.

Needing advice on where to start before taking it off to my mechanic to have things checked.

84 AE71 4AC [T50 trans] 90% stock

post-17007-0-28530600-1358063395_thumb.jpg

post-17007-0-86121200-1358063412_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad

Clutch fluid looks on the low side to me.

Id be bleeding the clutch and seeing if the pressure in the pedal returns. If it doesn't either your master cylinder or slave is leaky. The master will leak into the footwell more likely. Id check under the carpet up near the firewall.

Considering I'm only free to do stuff on weekends I trudged out in the rain and bled the system.

Was able to start the car in first with clutch to the floor, didn't jump.

Releasing the clutch slowly caused the car to mutter, eventually stall.

Checked and double checked lines, no signs of leaks anywhere including footwell.

Still with the clutch disengaged it was damn near impossible to put into a gear, reverse simply wouldn't happen, others would need to be somewhat forced in.

Am I safe to assume it's the pressure plate?

If so I'm looking to buy a decent kit, bear in mind it's a daily driver not a track car.

Any suggestions? Looking at:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/400367458033

I had the same issue, my pedal box had cracked and the master was no longer connected to it. I only noticed when my missus pressed the pedal and I observed the firewall flexing. Also see if your clutch fork feels loose, you may have a broken clutch fork clip.