Qld Mod Plates

rian

Members dont see this ad

Okay so I spoke to Randall from www.modplate.com.au (All Vehicle Certification Services). He said there shouldn't be any problems with certifying the conversion as long as the work is up to scratch.

The things he said were important for the modplate:

- must have airbox

- must have catalytic convertor

- brake upgrade is preferred (AE86 is good enough he said)

- factory cross-members and engine mounts are preferred

- under car surge tank is a good idea

There were probably some other things but I can't recall them.

The price of the modplate is:

- $150 call-out fee which includes LA engine modplate code

- $50 for every additional code

So it works out to be $300 for the engine, gearbox, EFI system and brakes to be modplated, which sounds good to me considering I don't have to trailer the car anywhere, except I do have to get an unregistered vehicle permit to bring it to Brisbane but I was going to need to do this anyway.

I also found a K series gearbox cross-member so I can modify and fit that and get rid of the dodgey fitting AE86 gearbox cross-member. All seems good for now. Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions.

Edited by rian

I have used Randall a few times before. He is a very nice guy but MAKE SURE your car is looking nice. If your car looks like its going to get pulled over every week, chances are he will not want to plate it. However, if your car is clean and things are done right you wont have a problem.

• 4 months later...

I finally got my car engineered today. Randall from modplate.com (All Vehicle Modification Services) was the guy who did the modplate, it took about 20 minutes and cost me $200 ($150 for first code including call out fee and $50 for every additional code). I got 2 codes: LA2 and LB1 (engine and gearbox conversion), the fuel system upgrade from standard mechanical fuel pump to a lift pump and high pressure EFI pump with an external swirl pot/surge tank was included in the engine code.

Basically the engineer looked over the car, took some photos, checked the engine number and VIN, asked me some questions about the car, checked out the brakes etc., wrote up the modification certificate and stuck the plate to the firewall. It was quite easy.

Ill put in my $0.02

George from RaceCraft on the Sunny Coast was about as casual as this. don't know if he'd do call outs though.

I don't mean casual like 'wont look at it who cares' but casual like ' ok you have explained your work rationally and coherently and have supporting evidence if needed'.

Mod plates FTW