Victorian Motorkhana Championship 2013

carbonboy

Upon closer inspection, he hit the same number of flags as I did, two. Probably because he's used to driving the Roadster for so long, while Henry has just been sitting around doing nothing. With the Ekiden Day coming up & the Eunos Roadster not allowed in, some bugs needed ironing out beforehand. :)

Now that I've managed to beat the Civic & Batch in a proper event, the next goal is to see if I can complete an event with NO penalties at all.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went down to the Group 5 Round 9 at Werribee after CC&D today to time-keep. Next thing I know, I'm driving a rear-wheel drive car in anger for the first time in a decade. My brains concept of physics went "Huh?" :blinks:

I'm going to stick to what I know methinks! :yes:

Interesting 'garage' concept.

From what I've seen, rear wheel drive is typically quicker on tarmac layouts. Most specials are FWD over here (based on Mini's) but I'm told there's a RWD special over east that makes them look a bit silly at the nationals.

Problem nowadays is finding a light and nimble RWD car at a reasonable price. Anything RWD seems to attract a real premium price.

I'm sticking to FWD for my adventures into rallying, but there's an old RWD car (not Toyota) in the shed that I want to finish off and play with at Motorkhana's. MK's are just good fun and a cheap day out.

I thought so too! It works like this: the car must have it's A-pillar (or thereabouts for the Specials) lined up between the two start/finish flags, the timer starts when the wheels start rolling, the timer stops when the front of the car crosses the line between the two flags & the driver must have at least part of the car crossing the line (either front or back) when stopped for it to be 'garaged correctly'. I've been running VMC events only, so it was not what I was used to. But as there were quite a few Juniors there for the CAMS JRace (children as young as 12), the slightly more relaxed atmosphere seemed to suit & help them.

The Eastern RWD Special, I'm not sure of the setup of the one that won the SEAC AMC in Mount Gambier in early October, but it could be the one driven by a lovely lady from Sydney? There's a mix of FWD & RWD Specials in the VMC as well, could be one of those? :)

By the sounds of things, this old RWD car is not something you would want to risk wrapping around a tree by rallying (which is completely fair!). A cheap, replaceable FWD is definitely the go.

The price premium you mention is one of the reasons I like FWD so much. Compare market price of an AE82/92 Twin Cam versus an AE86, 'nuff said. But like you said, yes a RWD does tend to be quicker on tarmac than a FWD.

Edited by carbonboy

• 1 month later...

Well then, it's been a while between updates! Round 10 didn't happen due to inclement weather conditions, so this is the VMC done & dusted for another year. I have to say, I had an absolute blast this year & am very happy with what I've managed to learn. I'll definitely be back next year for a proper crack at it with a decent engine. To all the event organisers, timekeepers, scrutineers, competitors, helpers & BBQ-cookers, thankyou very much for your efforts this year, your help is very much appreciated! :y: :yes: :y:

Now for the *drum-roll please* Provisional Results! Overall I finished Equal 30th out of 34, not particularly high, but equal with an EVO VI & a BMW 323i can't be that bad! In Class A, I finished 7th out of 40, I know it's no podium finish, but for my first year at this it's as good as one! More to the point, I BEAT THE CIVIC!!! In Novice Class, well bugger me sideways if I didn't manage to finish 1st out of 13. Being a nOOb has never felt so damn good. :blush:

Cheers Colin, I did have the benefit of not having a $h1t-hot driver alongside me in Novice Class this year! Looking at the Provisional Results, the fact that I attended 8 Rounds versus 2nd place who attended just 4 Rounds may have had a bit to do with it! ;)

*MEH*

Go to be in it to win it! Given the guy in the Mini who won Class A this year is pretty handy behind the wheel (a nice guy to boot), it may be a while before I can win anything else. :)

I have a few of his/your old class-mates in Class A to try to beat next year, if one would stop driving the Pulsar & drive his blue Corolla again it would make things a tad easier. ;)

Getting into the Top 5 won't be easy, we'll see how it goes though! :y:

Edited by carbonboy

The NGK Victorian Motorkhana Championship Presentation Night was held last night, was well attended with many familiar faces. I got just a little bit of a shock when I was one of three people called up to have an award presented to them by Eugene Arocca, the current CEO of CAMS. :blinks:

The award in question, my reward for this years efforts, along with a fellow TCCAV member who finished Second in Novice. :)

post-5437-0-58748100-1386830928_thumb.jpg

TCCAV finished Second behind Huntingdale Auto Club in the Club Points, which is not too bad considering that at best, we have 6 club members at a VMC Round. They have...more. Despite this, TCCAV members finished 1st & 2nd in Novice Class, 2nd in Ladies Class, 5th in Class A, 2nd in Class B & 1st in Class E.

On a TCCAV-related note, our Club Christmas Meeting Presentation Night was on Tuesday night. Where I was lucky enough to be awarded the trophy on the left I get to keep & the perpetual trophy which I do have to give back after 12 months.

post-5437-0-24582700-1386830987_thumb.jpg

It was noted that this year, there was actually a close contest for the Theo Wintels Memorial Trophy (Motorkhana Champion). But, it went to Batch for the third year in a row.

*sigh* Fine, I won't let him win it four years in a row...

Edited by carbonboy

Congrats again to you Luke and all of the TCCA members. It ain't easy to pull of a class win let alone to be consistent enough to win the championship.

Mmmmmm, Batch has won three in a row. Almost enough to tempt me to come out of retirement ;)

• 2 weeks later...