Blue Thing: The Daily / Motorkhana Hack (Now Efi)

carbonboy

..and Steve had a thermo-sensor error and a "no-spark" error code up, so we spent a couple of hours on that. Once we had fixed the broken wire that was causing the thermo-sensor error the "no-spark" code vanished too. Then when he was trying to start it I notice the engine didn't rock. A quick check showed the cam gears weren't turning... and the cam belt had stripped teeth down on the crank!

A new cambelt kit and its up and going!

Damm error codes! We should have started with "Does it have fuel, spark and compression..?" Still, the manual was fascinating.

Members dont see this ad

Checking for fuel/air/spark has always served me well, the diagnostic ability just helps point you in the right direction a little faster.

Went to TCCAV's CC&D on the weekend, props to the person who takes a photo of an old, slightly beat-up Corolla covered in mud, as well as the shiny machinery in attendance. Hadn't been rally-driving, just hadn't washed BT in a few weeks.

post-5437-0-05331500-1440112854_thumb.png

Some cool photos from todays TCCAV CC&D can be found here: http://www.notraction.com.au/#/cars-coffee-donuts-august/

Edited by carbonboy

• 1 month later...

Been a while between posts again, my bad. Not a lot has been happening, I washed the dirt off...

post-5437-0-76237000-1444534531_thumb.jpg

I used BT as a tow-car to prep the TCCAV grounds for a Group 5 motorkhana.

post-5437-0-58769400-1444534635_thumb.jpg

Have laughed at the size of modern day 'small' cars. Two Nissan Micras & a Toyota Yaris.

post-5437-0-86073100-1444534724_thumb.jpg

Dummy-fitted BMW M4 19" wheels for giggles.

post-5437-0-86214900-1444534866_thumb.jpg

Borrowed a trailer to haul several sets of wheels/fuel cans etc to Winton this coming weekend for the 10hr event. Needs a paint job IMHO.

post-5437-0-28145400-1444534986_thumb.jpg

Have also done a heap of preventative maintenance in advance of said 10hr event, like replace the clutch slave cylinder, oil/filter, spark plugs etc. Cold air intake for the airbox is in also, as well as the tow strap etc.

post-5437-0-10110200-1444535163_thumb.jpg

post-5437-0-69534200-1444535268_thumb.jpg

Should *hopefully* be a good event, not racing for sheep stations & emu farms, just out to not screw up & to have fun.

I run a MAP sensor, so no worries about the AFM getting damaged. ;)

This does end up tucked above the wheel-arch plastic & engine bay plastics, behind the lower part of the front bumper. Chances of water getting up there are minimal, turning it 180° would point it directly towards the front tyre. But...I am thinking a deflection shield of some kind for the air filter where the pipe enters the airbox. That way, anything that does get sucked up (dirt, bugs, water etc) isn't sent straight onto the filter.

A u-bend would be.....difficult to fit in.

• 2 weeks later...

In the days leading up to Winton, I had a mysterious prankster appear, leaving 'parking tickets' on my windshield to discover after work.

post-5437-0-41807100-1445378449_thumb.jpg

The next day.

post-5437-0-59108100-1445378488_thumb.jpg

On the Friday night, I was loading up the trailer when I had a thought, if something happened to my car, I could beg/borrow/steal a trailer ride home. But what would I do with the trailer? So it was unload trailer, strip interior & load up. By the time I got to the caravan park in Benalla, it was 1:30am. Upon awakening at 5:30am, it wasn't looking promising weather-wise.

post-5437-0-08945400-1445378645_thumb.jpg

Thankfully it cleared up & four attempts later, I made it through scrutineering & became an actual race car. Little things like the fire extinguisher bracket not having a metal latch & they got grumpy about my towbar, despite there being no mention of them in the supp-regs.

post-5437-0-39854300-1445378782_thumb.jpg

post-5437-0-66934700-1445378953_thumb.jpg

Completed the practice/qualifying session on the Saturday morning successfully & nominated a 1:55 as my laptime. The idea of the regularity race is to get as close to your nominated time as possible without going faster than it. Depending on how close you get, earns you bonus laps, going faster deducts laps. The team with the most laps at the end wins.

Our team was called Team Celica, which was slightly ironic as by the end of the 4 hours on the Saturday, one Celica had sheared flywheel bolts, another dropped a valve or three & the third had popped an engine. Leaving myself & an SW20 MR2. Knowing that winning wasn't on the agenda, we just set out on the Sunday to rack up some laps, have fun & try not to come dead last. After two stints however, my clutch began to slip & still having to drive home, I pulled the pin at that point, leaving the MR2 to run until he ran out of brakes. Despite our team only completing ~7 out of the 10hrs, we finished 38th of 39 teams. Mission Accomplished.

post-5437-0-67455100-1445381323_thumb.jpg

The event did have a bit of an incident (see link for footage), all drivers checked out okay but the race was red flagged while the safety crews did their thing.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153497478426943&id=643766942&fs=4

It was during this time that the driver of a red MX5 approached me & gave his opinion that I was a bit "vigorous" with my lines/turn in points for the corners. I told him that if I wanted his opinion, I'd ask for it, a RWD on semis & a FWD on street tyres are going to have two different lines through a corner. There was some more whinging from him, but after reminding him that if this was really a problem, it'd be a race official talking to me, not him, he buggered off. Good to know BT is faster in a straight line than an MX5 though, the supercharged ones, not so much. :)

There were some awesome cars out there, but strangely, this was one of my favourites. Much faster than you would imagine.

post-5437-0-05441700-1445379426_thumb.jpg

A fellow club member took my wheels/tyres for me to ease the load on my clutch & despite a few sketchy moments, made it home safely. The next day was spent swapping over to a second hand Exedy HD clutch I had on the shelf. Hindsight tells me that this should have gone in when I swapped engines, but the standard clutch I had had a lot less kms on it. On the bright side, the engine is still going hard, didn't miss a beat.

post-5437-0-49529300-1445381757_thumb.jpg

Re: earlier conversation about the CAI, it seems Reed has a very valid point. Something for me to rectify.

post-5437-0-15506000-1445381716_thumb.jpg

Annnd one final parking ticket. Considering I'd never driven the circuit, have drum brakes on the rear & was running street tyres, a best lap of 1:54.5503 ain't too bad I think.

post-5437-0-33520900-1445381967_thumb.jpg

Edited by carbonboy

Those parking tickets are hilarious.

Sounds like a blast doing that racing.

I believe it was a guy in the car club doing it, but haven't gotten a confession. Got a laugh from me too, once I realised the first one wasn't legit.

Regularity racing is awesome, it allows teams of Porsches to race against teams of Corollas on a somewhat level playing field. There is a cutoff as to how fast/slow a laptime you can do, 1:40.00 & 2:10.00 respectively. I had a 996 GT3 go past me at full noise on the outside of the sweeper (nearly shat my pants), so he would've been running low 1:40's. Funnily enough, the Porsche Club were "excluded from the results", that is all that was said.

Back in the day Wheels (Motor?) magazine did a big 40 car COTY comparo and the Magna was the fastest in the corners on the test track, but out-gunned by the Commodore and Falcon on the straights.

I checked out its times on Natsoft, it was running 1:50.00-ish laptimes & having been on track at the same time as it, very tidy through the corners. :)

Is that an r33 gtr front bar on the magna? Lol

***DING DING***

You Sir, are correct. I saw it out of the corner of my eye at first & thought four door Skyline. It's odd.....but, it kinda works.

Brave.....stupid, it's a fine line haha!

Driving home from work on Saturday, I detected the smell of petrol in the cabin. On inspection, fuel was weeping from the gasket where the fuel pump assembly goes into the tank. So, drain & drop fuel tank, add some sealant & slap it all back together.

post-5437-0-71594600-1446077094_thumb.jpg

Just in time to be a driver at the motorkhana demonstration in Toyota Altonas carpark for their Ekiden (Family) Day. This involved taking employees & their family members for 'hot laps', I must say it's terribly distracting having someone beside you screaming the whole test. But everyone who came for a ride with any of the drivers left with a massive smile on their face. I was just happy to be let loose in Blue Thing in Toyotas carpark, RWD cars aren't the only ones that can make a lot of tyre smoke. :D

post-5437-0-46704700-1446077505_thumb.jpg

We also put on a static display, which I sadly didn't have the time to take photos of, aside from this whole lot of sexy.

post-5437-0-45064800-1446077586_thumb.jpg

There's a Group 5 motorkhana on this Sunday, but not keen to push my luck by going for three consecutive events. I have a Failcan gearbox swap to finish.