Simon's 1972 Rt80 Corona

SimonM

When I was 17, I bought this as my first car. Paid $600 for it from a mate, spent alot of time and money getting her roadworthy and it was my daily for just over a year until I snapped a valve spring. I replaced the offending spring, but in the process, I discovered that the entire engine is full of crap. No idea how it was still running. It lasted a couple weeks after that until I snapped another spring. Couldn't find a full set of springs at any wreckers so I gave up and parked her in a shed. Engine still starts and it can be driven on and off of a trailer, but I really don't think the engine is worth saving.

Running stock 1.5L 2R with 4speed.

Drums all round needing new cylinders. (brakes lose pressure sometimes - scary!)

Stock as. Completely grandpa spec. Interior is beautiful.

Only have these two pics of her from when I first bought it.

post-18111-0-09926200-1362736617_thumb.jpg

post-18111-0-55953200-1362736618_thumb.jpg

Paint is chalky and weather damaged, but from memory, there's not a spot of rust anywhere important. (apart from inside the engine!)

She was a joy to drive, even if completely gutless. Most comfortable seats of any car I've owned!

It has now been over two years since she was on the road, and I'm trying to decide what to do with her.

I'm looking at buying a KE35 for a bit of fun, but I really can't justify buying a fifth car at this point, so I am considering selling up or parting out.

After reading Glen and Mark's project threads though, I'm having second thoughts and considering keeping her and trying to find a new engine.

Hopefully bringing her home tomorrow afternoon to clean her up and do some work. Will post more photos asap.

In the meantime, If anyone wants to make an offer for her, I'll consider it.

If anyone has a 2R or 12R in SA they want to sell, I'll consider that too :)

Looking for advice as to what to do with her, as at the moment, I can't decide! :(

Edited by SimonM

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks pretty sweet, do it up, also if you can get a 12r, they are 1.6 and just have a bit more power all round, ^ i'm famous now hahahaha, get some mags for it, think we need another cool corona floating around on here :y:

True. It really is a shitbox, but it was my first car and I love it for that. It seems a shame to sell it because I wouldn't expect to get much more than scrap value for it and it's not like I need the money... The only real reason to sell would be because it's wasting space...

Yep, mines an RT81 so disk brakes were standard. Like you said there's hardly any around and not much info, especially on upgrades, so the only way I know of would be finding RT81 brakes.. But I'm sure something else would fit! Since I've owned mine I haven't seen another RT81 or RT80 on the road in SA... So I'd hold onto yours :)

haha green is best ;) not all rt81 had disks, was a option, i have a 70 rt80, 72 rt80 and a 72 rt81 all are drum brakes, i think one model of celica discs fit, not sure what one, i saw 1 corona at the wreckers, didn't have the money for the disks, went back a week later and someone was buying it :down: atleast it didn't get crushed though

Oh yeah, mine is an "SE" model. Which according to the sales brochure in the glove box means it has disk front brakes, reclining bucket seats, a cigarette lighter, white walls and stuff from factory. That probly explains why some RT81's do and don't have disk brakes :D

Got my baby home today :) So here's some more pics

Took about an hour to move all the other garbage out of the shed and then manouver it in the tiny amount of space and get it out the door.

Engine still starts without any troubles :D But apparently the clutch leaks fluid somewhere because it was all gone, so I had to push it everywhere and winch it onto the trailer, but got there eventually

post-18111-0-29352200-1362822716_thumb.jpg

So took her home and put one of the HQs in storage in the meantime to make space in the shed.

Pushed her off the trailer and flushed the clutch lines, all working sweet now. The black gunge that came out of it was a tad shocking.

Rolled down the driveway but didn't make it to the shed so I got all dirty climbing under it to fix the clutch :(

post-18111-0-78771800-1362822748_thumb.jpg

After a wash:

post-18111-0-23397100-1362822791_thumb.jpg

Interior: (untidy and a bit dirty, but all there and in good nic for 40 years old. Dash has a huge split in it though :'( )

post-18111-0-88538200-1362822815_thumb.jpg

Cutting and polishing tonight. Looks like the paint will come up alright, but it definitely needs a respray.

post-18111-0-36687000-1362822836_thumb.jpg

I think I'm going to keep her for now. Try to get the engine running smoothly again while I wait for a new one to show up cheap somewhere...