Looking For Some Help/parts/info.

Hey all,

I was wondering if the Te-31 is basically the same thing as a ke30. I'm looking to try and do a Right Hand drive conversion to the car. Just trying to source all my parts. If anyone knows of any lying around or knows someone with some please get me their info i would love to make this happen. Was not sure if i need parts from a ke30 or what. Any help would be awesome.

Brian

Members dont see this ad

I'm not entirely sure what's involved in that particular conversion, but why are you converting to right hand drive exactly?

I want to convert to rhd because its rare for people to do. Where i live you don't see many corollas like mine let alone any rhd. I understand even if i do the swap its still concidered a USDM model. But i would like to make the car RHD to make it like it would have been if shipped from Japan. I just love RHD cars.

Sounds like an odd reason to do it.

I reckon it be more trouble than its worth.

What about the firewall where the steering column goes through? what about the stuff behind the dash that the steering column connects to? simliar for the pedals.

i reckon to do it properly you would need to cut out standard firewall, weld in firewall from a RHD car. which i dunno if thats even legal given that the chassis number is on the firewall?

Might as well just ship a RHD car over from another country i reckon...

Edited by ke70dave

It is so uneconomical it isn't funny. There are a lot of differences between a TE31 and a KE30 to start with, the LHD / RHD differences adds to complexity.

Nice idea. best you forget about it immediately.

Seems a bit of a US fad as I have seen other guys converting TE27's which at least already have all the TE stuff as well as AE86's

It is so uneconomical it isn't funny. There are a lot of differences between a TE31 and a KE30 to start with, the LHD / RHD differences adds to complexity.

Nice idea. best you forget about it immediately.

Seems a bit of a US fad as I have seen other guys converting TE27's which at least already have all the TE stuff as well as AE86's

I'm new to corollas. And also part of the question is are there te31s over in aus or NZ if thats the case then it wouldnt be too bad.

Well the answer to your first post is

1. There are a lot of differences between a TE31 and a KE30 to start with, the LHD / RHD differences adds to complexity.

Everything will bolt in to the shell, but a lot of stuff isn't common to each model.

There are no TE31's in Australia

Take it from someone who has spent years chasing factory parts to convert a basic AE86 (SR5 in the states) to full GT (GT-S in the states), the latter which we didn't get in Australia. And several more years accumulating every part to convert a KE25 to a TE27, the latter which we also didn't get in Australia. The differences in both cases are profound.

If you are really keen, you would be advised to locate a car in Japan with everything on it. Anything else will cost you a bucket, well more buckets buying it piece by piece unless you have lots of time to source and accumulate things. A lot of the parts I have came after passing over more expensive ones and waiting patiently for a cheaper one to come along.

There was a guy in Australia recently who brought in a TE37 levin fairly economically from Japan. His car isn't concourse, but that isn't the point.