Ke38 Vans Heart Aint Running Right,thinking Timing Chain Went Walkies

teza40

Hi, not usually stumped by timing/idle running issues.But this one has me beat big time.

4k in emmas van is now playing up more than i do lately,has poor to no idle.

The thing i find strange is if i set it up top dead centre on zero degrees reading on crankshaft pulley ( for arguement sake) and dizzy installed so rotor points to number one at front of engine.....it wont for love or money fire up..

Tho if set up top dead centre on zero degrees reading on crankshaft pulley ( again for arguements sake) and dizzy installed with rotor pointing between cylinders two n three..the darn thing will fire.......beats me why!!!!!

Have swapped distributors as of today and and had it running but none too well...have a feeling is more than just normal time it issuses...carby could be some of it also...anything 30 plus years has to be buggered eventually..

Pretty sure with all the cranking this poor starter motor has done in the last 3 days,it decided to over heat n fry itself this eveing...well seen smoke coming out from it with torch light lol...

Anyone had a similar bad experience with dizzy set up in weird place to get engine to run and what was the fix...

any suggestions/help much appreciated..

Emma not liking her car at moment :(

Members dont see this ad

heya tez,

By the sounds of it, you have tried cranking the engine and turning the dizzy at the same time for it to fire up, just the lazy way of doing it......... :yes:

How is the timing sync with the bottom end as opposed to the top end? What i mean is taking the rocker cover off and looking at the characteristics when you crank the engine as between the rocking gear and crank position. If its within reason you'll still have compression in all cylenders, if it was out heaps the valves wouldn't be sealing (obviously lol) on any given compression stroke, and by rights could cause internal damage to valves and pistons. I'm sure with your experience you've seen this before. :yes:

One other thing i can think of is what you have stated in your heading, it would be hard for the timing chain to skip a tooth, although i'm not saying its impossible. I have had the locating pin for the timing chain on the cam shaft sproket sheer off before and slightly throw the timing out, pain in the arse when you don't know what the problem is.

I just hope you find the problem sooner than later,

cheers!

Hey Matty...

Ok have had the rocker cover off and have set top dead centre with number one exhaust and intake valves sitting flat...

So this morning stater motor replaced and back onto problem,attacking this time with determination to get it to fire where it should...number one cylinder rotor pointing towards and at top dead center.... lol...

Battery is charging at moment......so a lil break time for me :)

Many years ago a mate have a 318 v8 charger,had timing/running issues...put a reco dizzy in..still the same problem.So i went to his place and said ok lets do this....removed radiator..water pump..timing case cover..then just lifted timing chain off the cam sprocket towards front of engine without unbolting cam gear......yes chain stretched and jumping while running...so yes it is possible lol...

Tho not jumping in just yet to puul timing case cover on engine in the car...did on a spare engine in the shed and found it had a chain tensioner so all should be good by rights inside....

Yep i hope i sort it soon too mate

Cheers

Terry