5K Timing Help....

ok just finished putting the 5k with k50 in my ke55 and surprise of all surprises it wont start. things to consider;

there is fuel. jet is ok.

there is spark (my heart is still going.....)

cam timing is definitely right.

so this leaves me at ignition timing.

what i need to know is, what is the firing order (can't find it anywhere!)a link to a photo would be best!

HELP need the car to run asap as it needs to go off to the shop to get an exhaust from manifold back to be made up and all tuning etc etc before i get my licence back!!!!!

Members dont see this ad

What type of distributor are you using?

Dizzy timing is most likely out. Turn crank to top dead centre on cylinder 1 compression stroke.

Firing order is 1342. Dizzy rotor should line up with the number 1 post on the dizzy cap which if installed correctly will be the post closest to the thermostat housing or oil cap.

Edited by GJM85

No timing light??

After you check the dizzy position as Gavin says above & know it is firing number one, turn the crank back to 10deg before TDC. Take the dizzy high-tension lead out of the coil, and loosen the dizzy just enough to rotate it. Turn on the ignition and rotate the dizzy backwards a few degrees then forwards until you hear the crack of the spark in the coil. Do it a couple of times until you have got it just on the point of firing & tighten the dizzy. Check it is still firing #1.

That should set your timing to 10deg BTDC.

OK the timing mark hasn't flashed at all (no timing light!) but is set in an area where it should fire (0) i set the last 5k i built (for a mate) to 10 but it just ran like a bucket up high so we went back to 5 and it worked alot better!

I still think your dizzy is out. One tooth on the dizzy is 60 crankshaft degrees and that's going to mess your shit up.

Without a timing light your going to have trouble.

Getting the dizzy in the right place is an art and becomes easier once you get your head around it.

Are you using and electronic dizzy or a breaker points dizzy? Point gap needs to be .45mm, plug spark plug gap should be .8mm and you should be running between 6 & 10 degrees of static/idle advance and no less. The only reason you'd run less is if its running very very lean which it will with a stock 4k carburettor. This is not a good thing....

its a breaker point dizzy from a 4k everything is gaped correctly don't want to seem argumentative but a car should start on 0, it is a bit too late, but should work i've never had troubles its just an easy base line and then i can tune away once its running....... but that hasn't happened yet :(

. One tooth on the dizzy is 60 crankshaft degrees and that's going to mess your shit up.

but the dizzy only really goes in one way....? unless you mean lobes? not exactly sure what your saying here.

The dizzy has 12 teeth on the gear and rotates at half the speed of the crank. 2 full rotations of the crank : 1 rotation of the distributor.

720 crankshaft degrees divided by 12 distributor gear teeth equals 60 degrees. So if the distributor is one tooth out that is 60 crankshaft degrees.

Effectively the distributor can go in 12 ways. If you look down into the hole where the dizzy goes you can see the oil pump drive where the tongue on the end of the dizzy goes in. This can be turned with a screw driver until you can get the dizzy to drop in correctly.

Edited by GJM85

This can be turned with a screw driver until you can get the dizzy to drop in correctly

...at which time the rubbing block on the points will be just before a peak on the dizzy lobe, turning in the right direction for number one spark plug lead.

Just set it at 10deg on the crank and turn the dizzy to open the points then. It will all work perfectly.