K Valve/tappet Cover Differences

Bowler

Hi all,

I have what appears to be an early model valve cover, with only one opening which i assume is for a breather.

I wish to put this on my 5k (due to the fact that its polished), however I have concerns over pressurising the valve cover. Can anyone advise me to how were they vented/set up on the earlier models (ie, do they have a PCV valve, or are they vented directly to the atmosphere), or if you have fitted one to a 4/5k, how did you plumb the system.

Cheers in advance

Andrew

Members dont see this ad

You could PCV that vent and run a small plastic tube from the air cleaner down to the sump or cam chain cover, whichever is easier to drill a spigot into.

Most the time the air flows through the PCV to be burned, and fresh air goes down the small tube to clear oil fumes out of the engine. When the PCV is shut then blowby goes up the small tube and into the air cleaner to be burned.

So, Some photos of the valve covers

post-3603-0-83448900-1364780544_thumb.jpg

Side-by-side

post-3603-0-05810700-1364780615_thumb.jpg

Note the difference between the length of the outlets at the rear between the two, and the lack of breather return to the carb.

post-3603-0-32891100-1364780662_thumb.jpg

Close up of the PCV Valve/Breather return on the existing

post-3603-0-03215000-1364780756_thumb.jpg

Close up of the breather line, and blanked area. The breather line is also internally baffled.

You could PCV that vent and run a small plastic tube from the air cleaner down to the sump or cam chain cover, whichever is easier to drill a spigot into.

Most the time the air flows through the PCV to be burned, and fresh air goes down the small tube to clear oil fumes out of the engine. When the PCV is shut then blowby goes up the small tube and into the air cleaner to be burned.

I should also point out that the aircleaner currently fitted, does not feature a return vent like the original - I could retrofit however.

Pretty sure they had no cob and just vented back into the air cleaner cover on the early k engines.

Cob? What would this mean with respect to the breather line from the PVC? Plug the hose?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Cheers

Edited by Bowler

Plug the hose?

You'll find a bolt, probably a threaded brass plug, that fits in the inlet manifold to do that. Then just run the tappet cover vent to a Coke bottle with some foam in the neck.

You can buy a little filter to fit on that vent, but it puts oil vapour all over the show and that sucks up dirt.

You'll find a bolt, probably a threaded brass plug, that fits in the inlet manifold to do that. Then just run the tappet cover vent to a Coke bottle with some foam in the neck.

You can buy a little filter to fit on that vent, but it puts oil vapour all over the show and that sucks up dirt.

Fair enough sounds like a possible solution - perhaps as a catchcan... Thanks

That could be of a gas power forklift.

Does it have a baffle on the underside of the valve cover?

A bit of Autosol and an hours worth of elbow grease will get your cover like that any how.

It does have the baffle. But, I figure i brought it like this, so might as well use it. Autosol for the original could be an option too.

Hi,

You will be correct in that is an early K motor rocker cover.

My KE15 has this setup still I call it the Granny pipe or walking stick polution control system.

All the KE1X series has is that large hole and rubber connected another walking stick shapped pipe to it that dumped all fumes under car coating it in a nice crossion preventitive oil layer.

Later they fitted a PCV valve. I have found the valve fits this hole all the rubber come with valve and fills it. Obviously Toyota didnt change their mould at the foundry and designed a PCV valve to suit. As for the other connection your missing just drill tap a thread and brass fitting.

If I was you run a catch can. And then run catch can to air cleaner etc so its not venting over board and keep police happy.

But This is just something I think about. Under a vaccume oil foams less....if your racing engine hard oil will foam....Have a catch can that goes to carby/inlet when it gets a vaccume applied crank case gets vaccume and keeps oil under control. I have been looking at this recently as I want to add it to my KE15 not sure how yet.

I even know some cars use a vaccume pump to suck block to a vaccume so Id set car up to run PCV catch can to get oil and stop it filling air filter with crappy oil and car breths clean air still.

But early manifold but any KE PCV valve will fit and in my KE15 this jsut goes over board.

Cheers

Cameron

My ke16 has the same cover on a 4k, It did run a "walking stick"

but to save mess I ran a catch can that vents back into my air cleaner.

post-15870-0-53047100-1364912969_thumb.jpg

post-15870-0-32146700-1364912983_thumb.jpg

post-15870-0-05752600-1364912996_thumb.jpg

That's exactly what i was after, thank you.

Hi,

You will be correct in that is an early K motor rocker cover.

My KE15 has this setup still I call it the Granny pipe or walking stick polution control system.

All the KE1X series has is that large hole and rubber connected another walking stick shapped pipe to it that dumped all fumes under car coating it in a nice crossion preventitive oil layer.

Later they fitted a PCV valve. I have found the valve fits this hole all the rubber come with valve and fills it. Obviously Toyota didnt change their mould at the foundry and designed a PCV valve to suit. As for the other connection your missing just drill tap a thread and brass fitting.

If I was you run a catch can. And then run catch can to air cleaner etc so its not venting over board and keep police happy.

But This is just something I think about. Under a vaccume oil foams less....if your racing engine hard oil will foam....Have a catch can that goes to carby/inlet when it gets a vaccume applied crank case gets vaccume and keeps oil under control. I have been looking at this recently as I want to add it to my KE15 not sure how yet.

I even know some cars use a vaccume pump to suck block to a vaccume so Id set car up to run PCV catch can to get oil and stop it filling air filter with crappy oil and car breths clean air still.

But early manifold but any KE PCV valve will fit and in my KE15 this jsut goes over board.

Cheers

Cameron

Cheers for the info Cameron, I had seen this set up on a xe1x of some description, but there were no other pics to show the outlet end. Very useful information though. Thanks Mick and Cam