Hoon Laws

Silverrr87

Having owned quite an extensively modified corolla, and driving it everywhere and anywhere, i never had any issues on where i went, of course Yatala gets shut down, but i was never bothered

I knew the car was fully engineered and legal, other than the atmo BOV, but thats my fault should i get a ticket, to which i have never,

I have pulled up at the lights driven past police, even traffic police, and although the having a full cage was tucked away the rear bars did stand out, never had any isssues, i admit mine was a tidy street car,

I'm currently building a Mk1 Cortina which will be very similar to the corolla, more attitude, and is currently engineered, and have built it within the constraints of engineering limits

I have always said, if your shit is good, you wont have anything to worry about, and i know alot of police officers, and yes they have better things to do, so if your car is presented well, and driven responsibly you will not get hasseled, some are just curious also

So build your car, add personality, and although you might want to impress other enthusiasts, and have that grin of appreciation every drive, just be front up with police/transport, they know who are genuine and others going to waste time, if you get the one officer, shut your mouth, and when put on the spot, take your time on your responses, if you get questioned for taking your time, just advised that you want yourr response to be clear and concise

Members dont see this ad

There have been plenty of things said very well in this thread. My input is to reinforce the reason these laws are put in. HOONS ARE DANGEROUS. Shut them down in what is probably the only way possible. Unfortunately the pollies pushing the pens out there, who are making the hoon laws, and also giving the power to the enforcement agencies, have to broaden/generalise what is actually bad.. Throw a blanket on the fire basically.

I think the advice to stick to the road rules and comply with an engineers report is not a bad way to keep your nose clean. Wheels are a different matter, though :)

I think the laws are WAY over the top, and aren't really addressing the issue in the slightest. What, you think big Kevo is going to cry that you crushed his VN? No, he's just gonna find another shitter to do the same damn thing in. The only thing that's going to come from crushing cars is frustrated and victimised enthusiasts, too scared to take their pride and joy out for a simple drive without the fear of having it taken away.

I've been to skids before, just to watch, but as soon as the alert was risen I bolted just like all the hoons there. Not because I was guilty, but because I didn't want to be lumped in their category when all I was doing was spectating. My group of mates are all in one way or another into cars, and I think I can safely speak for the younger demographic when I say that it's a bad idea to do dumb shit on a road. In a little over a year of knowing these blokes, two have written off their cars (one of them a VERY nice Supra) and nearly killed themselves and passengers. All because they thought it'd be awesome to take that corner at 120 clicks, or rip the handbrake and do mad skids. It's a rarity for us to all go for a drive without at least one of them doing something dangerous. I'm not so much concerned with the annoyances as I am with the safety. These guys are hopping into high powered boosted cars and thinking they'll be sweet because it's not gonna happen to them.

As for the modification law, that's just complete horse semen. Hooning is a behaviour, not an object. These new laws are pretty much pointed directly at my friends. Building the dodgiest cars in the southern hemisphere and trying to be Ken Block on a road.

My two cents.. don't take their cars, they'll just buy more. Don't suspend licenses either, that won't work. I've taken a defensive driving course before and all I can remember from it was how to hold it through a corner when you're losing grip, so that's probably only going to fill their little brains with false courage in taking on new challenges. In fact, there's sweet fvck all you can do to stop this kind of behaviour. These guys get their licenses suspended for 12 months, and the first thing they do when it comes back is pop that long awaited skid again. Then they slide into something, destroy their car, and a week later you see them repeating the same damn dumb shit in a new car. What needs to be done is better education and a smack upside the head. I know the attitude because I've gotta listen to these muppets all the time.

The reason they do this shit is because they feel they're skilled enough to do so, treating the road like it's their own personal video game and living in bubble world where no one else matters and everyone is impressed by your piss-stained piece of shit and its ability to break traction.

What needs to be done is for the government to come up with some form of training program that reminds you that you're not indestructible, and the shit you think is harmless fun can actually end with dangerous outcomes.

MATURITY of one`s sense and sensibility whilst behind the wheel of their much loved piece of shit or very well engineered and slick looking

Automobile is what is required to survive!!!!!!!!!!!!

That maturity in one does not come easily or overnight, Believe me ( I'm 47 years old) and these days i take it fairly easy on the roads of brisbane or anywhere for that matter.

Tho since the day i got my P`s here in Qld and bought my VJ charger, i was and would have been classed as a HOON no matter what i did right or wrong by the police...I lost 3 points out of 4 on my P`s for failing apparently to stop at a T intersection in the early 80`s at southport spit area....

To me at the time that was bullshit as i had been stopped for ages at the intersection...along comes an over zealous bike copper- see`s young bloke in valiant charger....result busted for bullshit..i wore it as it was my first time booked for anything... i learnt to survive the next 10 months on one point in that very car...and no i wasnt an ANGEL behind the wheel every time i drove it..

Yes i have over the years been fined for burnouts/wheel spin, speeding/racing etc..Mostly in Adelaide my home town..The game has now changed ( i have not read the legislation personally)...times are different - cars are different to that mentioned valiant charger..they are lighter they have more power to weight and the gearing to get the power at any throttle range.

Drive sensibly - drive defensively when required, yes there are a shite load of dopey mother f*&*er`s out there on the roads with no idea what they are doing just getting from A to B in there boring mass produced cars.

Modified cars i have had in my time (wolf in sheeps clothing) is always the best option..hide what you have on the bulk of occassions... i also once had a 340 CL Charger...was painted one colour (emerald green) had a nice set of globlines on it with 245 yokahama 352`s on the back..so what you say!!!

Well under the cut down xc cobra bonnet scoop was poking out the bonnet a fully polished alloy street scoop a top the holley carb and the torker 340 manifold nestled between 360J heads with a mopar purple mild camshaft.....still here you say so what big deal...

Well the big deal was, when the cut down xc cobra scoop was on the bonnet and driving as one should and obeying the rules...never drew attention to myself with the law...sure it had a nice v8 burble etc..looked like a hoons car of sorts...but never an issue..Plant the foot n do burnouts and speed well i was screwed if caught and was caught a few times....

ONCE A HOON, ALWAYS A HOON....is how it is seen by the law enforcement....and a car that screams hoon will always be targeted by the law enforcement...Sure i like leary out there paint jobs...flames - grahpics - multi colours etc for paint work...that in itself makes a car individual and that is what our hobby/sport is based on..being different...

Am i a hoon cos my car stands out because of a custom paint job...in my eyes I'm not, to most of the jo blow road users....maybe I'm not either....but everyone has their own thoughts and ideas...and as soon as you lay some rubber in a noticeable leary painted car....there goes all doubt...

Comes down to MATURITY and SENSIBILTY on our roads, grow up...behave...and keep your ride looking neat n tidy without it looking hideously over the top in modifications to the naked eye, you might survive unscathed by the law or a serious accident or worse death...

want to let off steam in your ride...go to willowbank and run at a test n tune or something...

The days of showing or proving your tough on the street (as i have done many years ago) ARE OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Terry

Some dickhead doing drifting/burnouts in my neighbour hood last night. i know the corner they drift, and admitedly...its a nice corner! but yeah......pretty ordinary, considering its got houses on one side, and concrete on the other side.

I didnt see him but by the sound it was an RB engine (so persumably skyline). I don't understand the logic, i wont pretend i don't enjoy a spirited drive in the mountains, but drifting a neighbourhood at 1030pm?

This kind of idtiot is making it hard for the rest of us.

yeah crush his car.

Well if you're mates kill someone out sliding then they'll be in prison. I assume this is something they have considered and accepted.

Doesnt make it right but its something they should consider ahead of time. One of my mates did a few months for seriously injuring someone.

There lies the problem. They're so delusional they don't think it will happen to them. I've got one mate who was doing 160km on the motorway with a bunch of mates in the car (before the red P plate curfew for passengers was introduced. That law's saved countless lives, and I applaud the government for it), and when a street sweeper entered his lane he didn't have nearly as much stopping distance as he would have at 100km, and as a result he wrote his car off and nearly killed himself and three passengers. The next car he got was a KEsev and not only did he still get up to the same speeds, he got into sliding too. The next car, a 180 with an SR20DET which some moron at DOT approved his exemption for. Still doing the same shit, speeeding and sliding, but now he had more POWER. Now he's got an S13 with an RB20DET and I'm scared he's gonna kill himself.

I've pleaded with these guys, and at one point threatened them too but they just don't listen. Every time they fvck up and hit something, it's ALWAYS someone else's fault but theirs. He blamed the street sweeper for pulling out in front of him, and my other mate who hopped an island on an overpass into oncoming traffic, he blamed the guy he hit who was just minding his own business. The guy who crashed his Supra, he blamed road conditions, claiming there was grease on the tarmac (yeah, absolutely NOTHING to do with going 80 around a corner rated at 40, fvckwit). A week later that same guy was caught excessively speeding, and he tried pinning the blame on his mate, for the reason that their heads are a similar size.

Crushing cars won't work, because I've seen first hand what happens when they destroy it themselves. They just go out there, get another, even more powerful machine, and do the same shit over and over again.

I've tried everything, and the sad conclusion I keep arriving at is... maybe if one of them killed themselves or someone else, in a situation that not even they can shift blame for, then these guys might start to see what they're doing. But that still might not work.

As i read this thread at work, a customer walked in in his DOT uniform and i saw his cruiser outsside. I asked the question .. whats your take on all these new laws coming in regarding hoons and vehicle modifcations? - his response. What new rules?

considering 2000 job cuts from TMR there are alot of sections other than the CSC

I thing i've heard that is the only that constantly works is if you have a loan on the car.

Insurance companies have good lawyers and don't like when people threaten to take there stuff.

Haha the banks don't give a shit man, they just hit you up for the down you owe me for a cube of steel!

I feel sorry for the poor innocent cars owned by idiots.

Hahahaha well said.

Edited by philbey