Ae71 Wagon - Doin' It Right

schmykel

Members dont see this ad

Been working on the car this week. Bought and fitted new wheel bearing kits to the front. Old ones weren't too bad but it was bugging me that I had refreshed everything else on the front end except the wheel bearings. So out with the old, in with the new:

d8w5.jpg

Also fitted the AJPS RCA's while I had the front end up in the air:

before:

dxu4.jpg

after:

5hbq.jpg

uwon.jpg

That should correct any bump steer caused by lowering the front end.

Doesn't leave me much clearance for the ball joint grease nipples once the wheels are back on though. I swear, these wheels are right on the clearance limits in every direction!

65kx.jpg

Now it's the moment most of you (and me) have been waiting for... it's lowerin' time!

The other day I picked up a pair of second hand rear leaf springs that had already been reset. It was cheaper and easier than taking my ones out, taking them to a suspension shop, waiting around while they reset them etc etc.

Here's a pic - original leaf spring vs reset leaf spring. Can you tell which is which? :lol:

uynm.jpg

The guy I bought the leaf springs off also threw in a pair of 3" lowering blocks and U-bolts. He used to run the reset leafs and blocks together. But once I fitted the reset leafs to my car, I was left wondering how it was even physically possible for him to run the blocks as well. With the car back on the ground the leafs flattened out completely, and the diff was only about 20mm from the bump stops - even if I took the bump stops out I don't think there would have been 3" of space between the diff and the floor! So I won't be running the blocks. I'm happy with the new ride height anyway, it looks good and is above the legal minimum, so I'll leave it as is. Those 3" blocks might find their way onto my Corona instead. :mrgreen:

I also fitted the short stroke rear shocks I bought. Turns out short stroke sedan shocks are the same length as standard stroke wagon shocks lol. No matter, they still function ok with the lowered leafs, plus my current shocks were stuffed, so I fitted them up.

And I had to get the guard roller back out to pump the rear guards just that little bit more, as the new Equips stuck out further than the old MK2s. They are now flared out as much as they can go, and 'just' cover the wheels. :)

rba4.jpg

Now all suspension mods have been done, the car is going for a wheel alignment tomorrow!